Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES-335 or Gretsch Duo Jet

swampash

About 6 weeks ago, I traded a 2011 Gibson Les Paul Traditional for a 2009 Gibson ES-335. The 335 quickly became the best Gibson I ever owned after deciding to turn my back on Gibson Guitars as I didn't warm to their sound. I fell in love with the 335, there were many NGD posts across many forums including this one. About a week after the trade, the guy I traded with called me begging for his Guitar back. he had just played a gig and realised he made a huge mistake. He was a really nice guy and I didn't want to get between a man and the Guitar he loved even if he screwed up. I met him the next day and got my Les Paul back, within hours, I struck up a deal to trade the Les Paul for a 2005 Jeff beck Strat, again many NGDs posted across many forums including this one. :) The Jeff beck has now officially become the finest Guitar I've ever owned. In the back of my mind, I really miss that 335 even though I only had it for a week. It was amazing.

So, it's my 41st birthday on the 14th of this month and my wife says I can get another Gibson ES-335 in Cherry, brand new. So I'm really excited. The only other Guitar in this price range that I've wanted to own for years is a Gretsch Duo Jet with the Bigbsy. So the big question is, which one do I get?

Early Birthday wishes to you-mine is on the 15th-Beware the Ides of March.You have a dilemna that I don't envy you for one bit-it's a real quandry that you have there as they are both magnifficent guitars.Where I'm a die-hard Beatles Freak I would probably be drawn to the Gretsch by a tiny margin.You must ask yourself which guitar would be most suited to what you play.BTW the other guitarist in my nephew's band has a Duo-Jet and it absolutely screams.Either way whatever you choose you can't go wrong.Lots of luck and I hope you have your mind made up by the 14th.

I wouldn't give ya a nickle for a Duo Jet and I'm betting if you don't like the Les Paul you won't like it either. Go for the 335.

I agree with you searcy ! I really think that the more you get familiar with the 335 it will your next favorite git! [wink][love][thumbup] the gretsch to me always sounds some what limited!? [bored]

they're both good guitars... but both good at different things.

the 335 is an excellent guitar across the board. they feel good, sound good, etc... they hold their resale value very well. The Gretsch has "that great gretsch sound" and the bigsby is a helpful tool for those soulful bends...

i reckon its a matter of musical tastes. But personally I would choose the 335. I owned a black one with creme binding... and yeah... i wish i had never let it go.

The Gretsch has a "coolness" factor because it is unique. Fine guitar IMO, but there is a reason so many many many players have used the 335 and it's variants for just about every genre of music ever made. It's maybe the perfect guitar! It does pretty much everything well (okay, most things), and is what I would choose between the two.

I've always wanted one, not sure why I've never gotten one (played many over the years, always loved them). I need to make that happen at some point.

Happy birthday! You've got what I call a happy problem. I've got a G6120 and a 335. I love the way the Gretsch sounds and records, but I still slightly favor my 335. The Gretsch is a great guitar, but if you already know that you love the 335, I'd go that route. The Gretsch will always be there.

I agree with Searcy that if you didn't like the Trad but loved the 335 you'll be more likely to prefer the 335 over the Duo Jet as well.

The only thing that puts me off the 335-style guits is their relatively large size - I'm 5'10" and about 150lbs - but I well remember from previous threads that this isn't going to be an issue with yourself !

Happy B'day when it comes and post yet another of those NGD threads !

Good Luck Choosing...

P.

Get the ES-335! [thumbup] I have a Duo-Jet TSP (earlier George Harrison version), and it's a GREAT guitar!

But, the tone is very close to a Telecaster! You have a Telecaster...so, if I were in that situation,

I'd (definitely) get the 335, with it's Semi-hollow body warmth, of tone, and being able to scream,

like a Les Paul, as well. Hard combination, to resist! [biggrin]

CB

Thanks for the sterling advice. You guys are awesome, especially the way you remember the previous threads. I have ordered the 335 so it should be in towards the end of next week.

I was in the same dilemmas a few years back. The choice was between a lovely Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean (basically a 335) and a Grestch Brian Sezter Hot Rod (a 6120). I went with the Gretsch because it seemed to have that little something more that suited my style - and I love the Bigsby too [thumbup]

But life is for fun; so what ever you get don't worry! You can get 'the other one' later, I have unfinished business with the Gibson Tennessean!

Matt

Archived