Gibson Brands Forums

Who DOESN'T use reverb?

JohnMac

I've had a Fender Blues Jr. for some time. I never cared much for the reverb and usually kept it set to 1 or 2. Today I picked up another a a garage sale. The reverb doesn't work and I don't think I'll miss it.

BTW, for those familiar with this amp, the one that I've had has the newer "Cream Board". The one I just got has the original "Green Board". To my surprise, the green sounds much better to me. I've always thought the one that I bought new with the "improved" board was too edgy and bright. I've tried swapping speakers to compensate but never could get it quite right. The original green is much warmer and fatter.

John

I have an old ('78-ish) MM 2x12 and I usually have the reverb between 3 and 4. Some tracks call for 10 (Fleetwood Mac's "I Loved Another Woman" benefits from 'Mariana's Trench' depths of reverb) but I prefer just a slight edge.

Sometimes nothing. I adore the bald basic tone but it doesn't always fit; and it takes a lot more skill to pull it off 'nekkid' (IMX). The upside is I've had more people come up to say how much they loved the tone when it was raw than when played with reverb.

'Less is More' ?

P.

I'm not sure if it works the same way with amps, but with pedals you would solve the problem you're having with your older amp by using larger value input and output caps. That would give you a less trebly, more bassy (warmer) sound. If the same "rules" apply with amps I think that would make you happy. Maybe someone with more knowledge of amps than me could help you out.

But back on topic, I love reverb. The reverb in my ac30 is lame though so I don't use it much.

I may just be trying to talk myself into doing without reverb 'cuz I really like the sound of the garage sale amp better than my other one. The difference is night and day. I guess the thing to do is get the reverb fixed, then I have the option. I may be able to do it myself if I can find a schematic.

I adjust basic reverb use, to the room I'm playing in. Then up it, or lower it,

as required by a particular song. ("The Last Time" by the Stones, I use a lot more

reverb, for example.) But, I always seem to use a little bit, for more "depth" to

my basic tone. The key word being "little!" [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

I like a good plate style reverb with a short tail just for some added ambiance. And wet, springy reverb is good for blues (but not my kind of blues). But I don't like a lot of "moisture" while I am playing. So I don't really use a lot of reverb OR delay. For my personal taste, reverb kinda drains out the beef in my tone and delay just gets in the way.

I adjust basic reverb use, to the room I'm playing in. Then up it, or lower it,

as required by a particular song. ("The Last Time" by the Stones, I use a lot more

reverb, for example.) But, I always seem to use a little bit, for more "depth" to

my basic tone. The key word being "little!" [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

I must say, +1.

Nothing is better than that slight touch of it. (1 or 2, maybe 3 at max, and always spring, sounds better than digital imo)

Have you considered a reverb pedal? That may be the answer.

Yes that may be the answer. The Blues Jr reverb is not that great. Fact is, I'm not a great player, and don't have much for pedals but I appreciate and am very sensitive to and particular about tone and if it ain't right it ain't right.

I like reverb, but not all of my amps have it. Pretty sure I'm going to try out the inexpensive reverb pedal fron Biyang, the RV 10 Tri Reverb. I've checked out the You Tube reviews/demos, and they really do sound quite good, and are a bargain at around $67 shipped. Seems like it should solve my own dilemma, maybe it will work for you to.

I don't use reverb much. My main amp is an 18 watt Marshall clone which is devoid of reverb. I find I don't really miss it. I use the reverb on my 70s Fender Deluxe Reverb sparingly. The best sounding reverb equipped amp I have is an old 60s Epiphone. I tend to use the reverb on that more because it sounds so good.

I always use at least a touch of reverb,it just adds a tad more fullness and presence to your overall tone especially when doing leads.My cheap little Vox Pathfinder 15R has a great reverb unit but the best reverb unit I have in any amp is that in my Vox AD120VTH,this unit not only has incredible reverb but has 4 or 5 types of reverb including "plate" and spring.On amps with no reverb I use an 80's Ibanez DM 1000 Digital Delay that is one of the best that I've encountered plus you can use it as an echo including slap-back,tape etc.,or it has a fabulous chorus feature as well as an incredible whooshing flanger that can emulate the "Itchycoo Park" type of flanging dead on.

I used to use reverb when I was using multi effects but since I started buying more individual pedals I havent used reverb because I dont own a reverb dedal (as of yet) and my main amo doesnt have it on board

Archived