Gibson Brands Forums

King Crimson

TinyBabyBrandon

Hey, I was wondering if there's anyone who's a big King Crimson fan out there that can give me a heads up and some songs to listen to to convince me that they aren't just a sub par and often times real boring band. I mean 12 minute songs where nothing much happens, a singer that's pretty bad, and Robert Fripp! what's the big screaming deal? I've never heard/seen one thing he did that impressed me. That said I LOVE prog rock, Yes is one of my favorite bands of all time, and it's mind boggling to me that Bruford would leave Yes at the height of the creative output following Close to the Edge to join King Crimson. So , please convince me that they're even decent or did some really cool stuff, this is a band I'd love to like but for years of trying to get into them, it's just been a snore fest.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, I was wondering if there's anyone who's a big King Crimson fan out there that can give me a heads up and some songs to listen to to convince me that they aren't just a sub par and often times real boring band. I mean 12 minute songs where nothing much happens, a singer that's pretty bad, and Robert Fripp! what's the big screaming deal? I've never heard/seen one thing he did that impressed me. That said I LOVE prog rock, Yes is one of my favorite bands of all time, and it's mind boggling to me that Bruford would leave Yes at the height of the creative output following Close to the Edge to join King Crimson. So , please convince me that they're even decent or did some really cool stuff, this is a band I'd love to like but for years of trying to get into them, it's just been a snore fest.

They're a shitty, hipster, trend band, and like all other shitty, hipster, trend bands, they suck horribly. They'll be forgotten in a couple years when the next big trend sweeps the nation.

They're a shitty, hipster, trend band, and like all other shitty, hipster, trend bands, they suck horribly. They'll be forgotten in a couple years when the next big trend sweeps the nation.

Don't speak that way about Yes.

They have been around since 69, how stupid are you? [mellow]

Ok, so no one can give me any good King Crimson songs/video advice to check out. I'd just like to know what the big deal is about them. I mean Bruford leaves Yes to join them, there's got to be SOMETHING to them, but I just can't find it. Man, everyone is a real negative nancy over here too. I should stick to the ES board...

Very, I was going off of lack of research, and hipsters everywhere beating their meat over them like they're some god like band. Just an assumption from an opinionated asshole [wub]

Buxom, what planet are you on? I live in the epicenter of hipsters in LA and NO ONE listens to Yes.

I'm a little confused. Is there some underground resurgence in King Crimson music or something?

I mean, they were a little before my time but I'm aware of their music and Robert Fripp. The only 2 songs I can think of off my head is "Court of the Crimson King" and "20th Century Schizoid Man". I'm surprised that anyone under 40 would care much about them one way or another though. :-k

King Crimson is a lot like Taylor Swift...only different. With all the other groups available it seems the intelligent thing to do is to listen to someone you enjoy. [thumbup]

Sometimes with the right guidance we can learn to appreciate music we didn't like before. Who busts out of the womb liking jazz fusion? I don't like it much, but I can still appreciate some things about it. I'm looking for some of the same stuff in Crimson. It seems "intelligent" to try and figure out why large groups of people who like other bands that you like think a certain band that you don't get is great. Right? Right. Glad we cleared that up.

I'm a little confused. Is there some underground resurgence in King Crimson music or something?

I mean, they were a little before my time but I'm aware of their music and Robert Fripp. The only 2 songs I can think of off my head is "Court of the Crimson King" and "20th Century Schizoid Man". I'm surprised that anyone under 40 would care much about them one way or another though. :-k

No, no resurgence, I just was checking out some yes vids on youtube and KC came up in the side bar. For about the 30th time in my life I said, "let em check this out, maybe I get it this time," and yep, still just very underwhelming. But when juxtaposing Yes with Crimson it was so striking that a brilliant drummer like Bruford would leave an incredible musical force like Yes to join and band that just seems, from what I have seen/ heard, as boring at not super inventive, or either unable or unwilling to write great melodies. Anyway, I just was thinking about that and figured that this might be a good spot to post my quandary seeing that this is a sight full of musicians and most of the people I know that love King Crimson are fellow musicians.

Ok, so no one can give me any good King Crimson songs/video advice to check out. I'd just like to know what the big deal is about them. I mean Bruford leaves Yes to join them, there's got to be SOMETHING to them, but I just can't find it. Man, everyone is a real negative nancy over here too. I should stick to the ES board...

so_long_fish.jpg

Man that's embarrassing! ... and you make fun of others? [sneaky]

Karma at its best!!

King Crimson is a band made up of the cream of the crop of musicians who along with playing with King Crimson are in constant demand to go on tour and do studio work with some of the most respected and recognized musicians in the world.Robert Fripp has toured and recorded with David Bowie countless times and then there's Greg Lake who has his side project Emerson Lake and Palmer who are among the most sophisticated prog rock bands in the world.Adrian Belew is also an incredible musician whose guitar work is the envy of thousands as he has blazed new trails with his unique and groundbreaking approach to guitar.Each member of King Crimson has earned and retained the respect of his peers for decades which has earned them their place collectively near the top of the modern musical world.

To just make a blanket statement that a band or musician "sucks" or is "shitty" doesn't hold any credence whatsoever without concrete facts or reasons to back it up.When a band is respected and hailed by their peers,who are among the rock world's most elite musicians,I'd be more inclined to go along with their statements than to accept the baseless unfounded arguments of someone who just doesn't appreciate their form of music and equates that with being poor musicians.Like them or not,their is absolutely no denying that each one of them is an incredibly gifted musician.There are forms of music that I'm not fond of but I would never deny virtuosity no matter how much I may dislike the genre it is played in.

First Album with Greg Lake (Emmerson, Lake, and Palmer later), and the rest of them, have to look them up now. It was 1969 though when it came out. "In the Court of the Crimson King" and it is the entire album!

First song, if you can follow along with the breaks in the middle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujIbpt-CCTY

Followed by what you probably (or me) talk to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kVNl-9cS9c

And yes it can put you to sleep also where you don't need pills and such to fall asleep!

Sub par? Love progressive rock but just don't get Crimson? Fripp has no talent? Something doesn't compute here. They are the embodiment of prog rock. I don't know what you're into, but you definitely must

I was a huge Crimson fan in the 80s, from COTKK thru the first Adrian Belew incarcation, but hadn't listened to them much since then until just recently. To me their work has stood the test of time much better than Yes, who I also loved back in the day. Yeah, some of their stuff can be a bit ponderous, but each album always has at least a couple tracks worth the price of admission. Particular favorites of mine are the albums Islands (Cat Food, Formentera Lady), Lark's Tongues in Aspic, and Absent Lovers (fantastic live recording). Much of the red, blue and yellow discs with Belew are also excellent.

For starters you might want to get A Young Person's Guide to King Crimson--one of the best compilations I've ever heard. I really can't speak to their later stuff as I've had little exposure to it. Fripp may be an acquired taste but he is the guiding force of the band. Listen to Tony Levin and any of the KC drummers for some pretty mind blowing playing.

If you're just trolling, toss out some of your faves so we can have some fun.

thanks guys. I imagine no one that has even posted in this topic is a King Crimson fan. If you're not a fan, don't have anything to add and are just being judgemental then don't post. You're the ones "fishing".

Well what did you expect? Read your first post with a semblance of an analytical mind and come back and say you are surprised with the responses you got. The reason no one here is serious is becasue we can't take you seriously.

King Crimson is a band made up of the cream of the crop of musicians who along with playing with King Crimson are in constant demand to go on tour and do studio work with some of the most respected and recognized musicians in the world.

You have to respect Fripp for being an mamazing composer and guitarist while being almost totally tone-deaf.

I really can't speak to their later stuff as I've had little exposure to it.

Thrak is an amazing album. Snoop around Youtube for a listen.

You have to respect Fripp for being an mamazing composer and guitarist while being almost totally tone-deaf.

Thrak is an amazing album. Snoop around Youtube for a listen.

I agree.....There's a King Crimson 2 DVD set called "Eyes Wide Open"........Contains some great music.....IMHO of course......

Archived