Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 2012 LP Standard

cjmwrx

The Tea Burst below was returned due to a tilted bridge installation, and a few finish flaws. See 2nd page for new photos of the flawless Heritage Cherry burst I drove 240 miles (round trip) to exchange for.

P4242546.jpg

P4242547.jpg

P4242548.jpg

P4242550.jpg

And the Tele I picked up the day before. I've been playing this once a week at my local shop for the last 8 months, figured it was time to pay for it. Got a GREAT deal. :) US Std Ash.

P4242551.jpg

Very nice, congratulations! [thumbup] How would you compare the tone on the 2012 to your 2008? I have been considering trading in my 08 std for the 2012 model, but just lately she feels likes she breaking in more and the tone seems to have more sustain and jangle than before. It's quite strange really. Anyway, would be great to have your thoughts.

Thanks

Very nice, congratulations! [thumbup] How would you compare the tone on the 2012 to your 2008? I have been considering trading in my 08 std for the 2012 model, but just lately she feels likes she breaking in more and the tone seems to have more sustain and jangle than before. It's quite strange really. Anyway, would be great to have your thoughts.

Thanks

You know what I had exactly the same thing with my 08.. When I first brought it home I found it a bit muddy and it was annoying me, I thought I had made a mistake.. Now its like 10 months later and I love it to bits the more I play it the better it sounds.. Even though I want a 2012 for the wiring options I still want to keep the 08 (even though I may have to sell it [unsure] due to redundancy )

item.JPG?rot=1

I am new here am not a Cowboy as my name suggests. It's a long story.

In any case I purchased a 2012 LP Standard yesterday and just wanted to share a pic. The color is Light Burst which is quite similar to Tea Burst. Not sure the pic will show the subtle difference in color.

I use to own a '71 LP Custom but that was a long time ago. Bought it slightly used for 350.00!!

Been playing Strats, Teles, and Martin acousic guitars. I saw the 2012 specs on this model and just had to have it. After one day I think I am falling in love.

I don't want to hijack this thread just add my $.02

Thanks

You know what I had exactly the same thing with my 08.. When I first brought it home I found it a bit muddy and it was annoying me, I thought I had made a mistake.. Now its like 10 months later and I love it to bits the more I play it the better it sounds.. Even though I want a 2012 for the wiring options I still want to keep the 08 (even though I may have to sell it [unsure] due to redundancy )

Thanks all for the comments!

The tone is about the same as the 08. Not as muddy, with a lot more control. The Fretboard is amazing. Am absolutely loving the compound radius.

That's really nice. I'd have thought it was a 'plus' model with that top. There's one like it on Wildwood. Have a look.

They don't appear to have "Plus" Model any longer. All of the Trans and burst finishes get a AAA Flame top. The solid color finishes get a standard maple top (since the grain will not be seen anyway).

item.JPG?rot=1

I am new here am not a Cowboy as my name suggests. It's a long story.

In any case I purchased a 2012 LP Standard yesterday and just wanted to share a pic. The color is Light Burst which is quite similar to Tea Burst. Not sure the pic will show the subtle difference in color.

I use to own a '71 LP Custom but that was a long time ago. Bought it slightly used for 350.00!!

Been playing Strats, Teles, and Martin acousic guitars. I saw the 2012 specs on this model and just had to have it. After one day I think I am falling in love.

I don't want to hijack this thread just add my $.02

It's all good. [thumbup] I know the feeling.

This photo shows the chatoyance flame a bit better.

P4252559.jpg

One thing I wanted to mention is that this model has a locking bridge. I had no idea what that was but if you look closely at the bridge there are two hex screws that you must loosen if you want to raise or lower the bridge height. This is great since it keeps it locked in position and will not change despite vibrations.

One thing I wanted to mention is that this model has a locking bridge. I had no idea what that was but if you look closely at the bridge there are two hex screws that you must loosen if you want to raise or lower the bridge height. This is great since it keeps it locked in position and will not change despite vibrations.

It also has a locking stop bar. Really shows itself when changing strings.

To me it's more light burst than Tea burst. Great anyway.

Would love to hear you comments in comparison of the 2008.

+ 1

Well, it's still a LP Standard with Burstbuckers. So it doesn't sound much different. Though it is a bit brighter. I wouldn't say it really sounds different. It has more sustain.

With the tone control options, it's an entirely different beast. Can cover a MUCH wider range of tones now. The Bridge out is a bit brighter. The phase control is a nice addition can get some of those Page tones a lot easier now.

Well, it's still a LP Standard with Burstbuckers. So it doesn't sound much different. Though it is a bit brighter. I wouldn't say it really sounds different. It has more sustain.

With the tone control options, it's an entirely different beast. Can cover a MUCH wider range of tones now. The Bridge out is a bit brighter. The phase control is a nice addition can get some of those Page tones a lot easier now.

Brighter. So I guess that turning the tone knob to 8 or 9 can make you have a sound even closer to the 2008 ?

Then it's really a good thing, it's not that different, just better looking (AAA) an sounding (more options).

Sound samples of the 08 and the 12 would be perfect ! [tongue]

Thanks for the reply Rabs. I have also had my 08 for 10 months now, strange though how the tone has changed. Perhaps it has something to do with the chambering? Anyway, I still have a little more time to consider whether or not I want to change as the 2012 models aren't out where I am yet.

Thanks all for the comments!

The tone is about the same as the 08. Not as muddy, with a lot more control. The Fretboard is amazing. Am absolutely loving the compound radius.

Thanks cjmwrx! Happy jamming! [biggrin]

Beautiful guitar. I noticed that the push-pull labels are on only two of the knobs. Doesn't the 2012 Standard come with four push-pull knobs? [Just being paranoid]

Yes it does. The neck tone knob pulls out to invert the phase and the treble tone knob pulls out to have the treble pup sent to the output jack and bypass all the other electronics no matter what you have set up. Way cool.

Yes it does. The neck tone knob pulls out to invert the phase and the treble tone knob pulls out to have the treble pup sent to the output jack and bypass all the other electronics no matter what you have set up. Way cool.

In the middle and neck pickup selector position, the Bridge tone control push/pull lets you also select which coil is in use when the coil taps are up. This thing really shits the bees knees. Seriously, the neck is super fast, and there are tones from DEAD Muddy to bright and clean, from thin to fat, this thing just ******* rocks!

Ahh Yes. Thought so. Very cool.

Incidentally, I hadn't realized that the Burst Bucker Pro is not a high output pickup. Do you find the Burst Bucker Pro's output level to be high enough? ...and how is the 'hum' and 'hiss' factor at higher gains? [i'd just try one, but i'm still waiting for one to show up in my berg ](*,)' ]

Archived