Gibson Brands Forums

What thickness of strings do you use and what kind?

Custom....

I use gibson 9's at the moment but i have a set of tens im dying to try out. tell me what you guys like and if you think switching to tens on my paul would be a good move. looks like most of you use tens. Have you ever tried nines and can you tell me the pros and cons of each plz?

I use D'Addario 11's on my solid bodies and thinlines. I use LaBella 14's on my archtops and acoustics. OK, so I'm a glutton for punishment, but I've always though that the thickest strings you can stand will only enhance the natural sound of the instrument. The other guitar player in my band uses 12's on his Strat, now that's crazy. Most of our guitar playing friends don't even ask to play our instruments, and that's a bonus.

I really do think there is an incredible difference in TONE with thicker string guages. Even moving up to 10's from 09's will make a big difference. And don't think that playing 10's or 11's will rip your fingers off, it's just like lifting weights or any work out, you work up to it. The longer you work with it, the more you get used to it. Would any athletic trainer tell you to never do curls with more than 10 pound weights, no, the whole idea is to get better and stronger. As you read the trade rags, two things you'll find in common with most all the great players is heavy strings and thick picks.

Ernie Ball all the way.

Electrics usually Nickel Wound Super Slinky or Regular Slinky, occasionally Hybrid Slinky - whatever suits, lighter on the SuperStrat usually and heavier on the Tele with Hybrids on the SG.

Acoustics usually Earthwood 80/20 Bronze Rock & Blues 0.10 to 0.52, though I have a strummer with the Medium Light 0.12 to 0.54 fitted which I am warming to for fast picking as well.

Though fast picking is getting slower as the fingers get older..... ](*,)

LP Standards come with .10-.46

I use Elixir .09's on my Music Man and Slinky .10-.46 on my Standard

I once tried the Gibson reissued classic strings; hated em

Was thinking about going to Elixir .10 - .46 on my Standard; the problem is that the Elixirs last so long you tend to get lazy and don't change em often enough. And when they start sloughing off the plastic coating it's usually not noticed by me until you're right in the middle of a jam.

For some guitars, I'm still searching for the best brand. I don't like Ernie Ball - never have because they are too slinky. I need a little resistence when bending otherwise I waaayyyy over bend.

Generally, for electric I like GHS but I'm not real picky about brand. When I used to play in an acoustic jazz band, I used nothing but D'Addario on my acoustic guitar- everything else would break during the gig.

Gibson LP: 10s minimum, sometimes 11

Acoustics: Elixers - 12's

SRV Strat: 13's GHS Bright Flats tuned 1/2 step down

Home made strat: 11's or 12's

DeArmond: Thomastik-Infeld or D'Aquiesto flats 11's or 12's

Epi Moderne: 10's

Epi Elitist Dot: Still has original strings so I'm searching. I bought a set of GHS nickle wound 10's & 11's... I'll try the 11's first

Classical: Still searching

Archived