Gibson Brands Forums

What's your (Current) Favorite Gibson?

Hoss

I've always 'spread it around'-- the seperate but equal approach that gave all my guitars some lap time. However, this old J45 I recently acquired is getting more than its share of late. Maybe because it's new to me, but for the last couple weeks, it's the only guitar I reach for. I'm very impressed with how many things it does well! A very different sound than any J45 I've played-

46j45body.jpg

(The picture is crappy - we live in darkness 7 months out of the year and I don't have a tripod.) Anyone else find themself currently stuck on a particular guitar?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my Hummingbird is outstanding, a true gem, and at barely 9 months old is still getting better and better every time I pick it up. It is one of the most gorgeous and responsive guitars I have ever owned.

Although, I've just finished doing some lacquer repair work/refinishing on my heavily used SJ200, which I also fitted a new flowers-sealed-in pickguard to, along with a fret polish, lemon oiling, all-over polish and wax, and it is shining like a new pin and playing like a million dollars, so that has had a good deal of lap time since I finished it tonight. First post-refinish song (for our absent GG :-(...) was Guy Clark's 'Bunkhouse Blues' followed by Steve Earle's 'Fort Worth Blues'.

So...on reflection, my 'Bird is my main stage player and my top all-rounder, but my SJ200 has been with me for 5yrs of playing 200+ shows a year (up til this summer, when it was retired from the front line of stage work in favour of my Hummingbird, and relegated to the more stately confines of the studio for writing, recording and session work), so I think my beautiful, battered but unbelievable sounding '200 has to be my top dog.

I've always 'spread it around'-- the seperate but equal approach that gave all my guitars some lap time. However' date=' this old J45 I recently acquired is getting more than its share of late. Maybe because it's new to me, but for the last couple weeks, it's the only guitar I reach for. I'm very impressed with how many things it does well! A very different sound than any J45 I've played-

[img']http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j141/forrest_02/Guitars/46j45body.jpg[/img]

(The picture is crappy - we live in darkness 7 months out of the year and I don't have a tripod.) Anyone else find themself currently stuck on a particular guitar?

Nice picture, Hoss -- I can now say with great certainty that your playing abilities far outstrip your photography skills! :-)

What is that J-45 (seeing asd you cut of the head in the photo? A war era model, or shortly thereafter, e.g., '46-48?

Fred

Tough question.

In spite of the fact the '89 J200 probably has the widest frequency response and likely the most volume and if anyone took a five minute blindfold test it would likely win, I would say my '64 SJ is my lifetime go-to guitar. I can play it for hours and just lose track of time. I am in no way saying it is the prettiest or best sounding but it fits me and has never irked me.... and as of this month I've owned it 24 of it's 44 years.

11wft6q.jpg

Without a doubt, that would be my SJ200 Modern Classic. Incredible guitar. Fits me and my style like a good, old worn baseball glove. You know what I mean, some guitars you pick up are stiff and unresponsive, something doesn't feel right. Others you pick up are like an extension of your hands, everything fits. This is one of the best-feeling guitars I have ever played.

I'll probably need a fret job by Xmas...

Lay off Hoss it's hard to take a picture with the DT's--- just kidding Hoss

God Bless you sir' date=' for coming to the defense of an old cowhand. In my defense, I DID spend half the day at the dentist's office yesterday, and am now conducting experiments to determine which kind of red wine most favorably enhances the effectiveness of oxycodone. ..Fred don't mean no harm-He's just funnin' ol Hoss.

Fred, it's a 1946 J45. Rode very hard-- within an inch of its life, so it appears. Here's a picture of its new brazilian bridge, and another that I hope came out better.

[img']http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j141/forrest_02/Guitars/46j45bridge.jpg[/img]

46j45angle.jpg

KSDADDY- love that old SJ. I keep thinking about a early Montana -mid80's?- J45 that I saw at a used guitar shop for @ $550 last year. Not the greatest sound, but a real comfortable guitar, with a good sound. It just 'fit' me- I know what you mean.

now that i (actually, gibson) has/have resolved an "issue" involved in the purchase of this guitar, i feel comfortable with it and am ready to really enjoy it. so, this '08 J45 TV LTD is rockin' my world right now. but, i've got my eye on another from my birth year. uh-oh. GAS.

DSC00327.jpg

Mine is my new to me, FrankenGibby.

A 1962 Gibson B-25, but with an entirely new neck, slot head, 1 7/8 nut, pyramid bridge, and repaired cracks. Definitely not even an attempt to be original, but I love it for all that it is! :D

001.jpg

021.jpg

Mine is my new to me' date=' FrankenGibby.

A 1962 Gibson B-25, but with an entirely new neck, slot head, 1 7/8 nut, pyramid bridge, and repaired cracks. Definitely not even an attempt to be original, but I love it for all that it is! :D

[/quote']

wow. that is really cool! i love that slot head.

My gibson sheryl crow. It's only my second guitar and my first gibson and I am loving it. I fell in love with it when I saw her in concert playing it in orlando and I knew I had to have it. I saved and saved and it was hard cuz I work as a waitress at Dennys and I am a single mother but I did it. I don't care if I never have another guitar this is the one for me!

My 2002 maple J100 Xtra. It is vastly superior to every other Gibson I've ever owned, and it...oh wait...it is the only Gibson I've ever owned. But I definitely see more in my future. Keep em coming in the Trading Post. I'd kill (a fish maybe) for one as ugliful as Hoss's.

My 2002 maple J100 Xtra. It is vastly superior to every other Gibson I've ever owned' date=' and it...oh wait...it is the only Gibson I've ever owned. But I definitely see more in my future. Keep em coming in the Trading Post. I'd kill (a fish maybe) for one as ugliful as Hoss's. [/quote']

i'm curious about this one now! i saw a beauty in VB on the fuller's site. sooo many choices......

I used to leave an epiphone el-00 out in the room leaning up against the wall. It's an inexpensive beater and if it got knocked over or damaged could easily be replaced. But recently it has seemed to me that my playing time is too precious and it's best to play a 'good' guitar whenever possible. So I started leaving my recently obtained CJ-165 rosewood out of its case and playing it a lot. It's a fine-sounding and lovely looking guitar and yet recently when I compare it to my plane-jane standard production bubinga Blues King, I find I like the sound I am getting out of the L-00 better. I also really like the sound of a maple Nick Lucas reissue that I have but after I put mediums on it the geometry changed in a way that I am unable to fix with saddle and truss-rod adjustments, so I am going to have to take it to Gryphon or somewhere and get it fixed up by a pro.

i'm curious about this one now! i saw a beauty in VB on the fuller's site. sooo many choices......

I think that one is mahogany b/s/n, IIRC. Mine has a hog neck which I would prefer to be maple like the b/s, but after 2 months of waiting for all maple and not finding one I just jumped on this one. I'm not sure that I would like the all mahogany, but you might.

Archived