Gibson Brands Forums

A Dilema

LPguitarman

I can guess the end of this story and it goes like this...

"X,Y and Z outrageous thing has happened, I have these guitars but I need to borrow $X to drive/stay or ship etc to you."

I'd be prepared to put money on it.

This is the most likely possibility. I think this girl is simply a con artist.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are beautiful guitars... but they are just guitars. I would consider the safety and well being of my family over possessions no matter what. And I know it's cliche but if it's too good to be true, it usually is. Pictures of guitars next to shipping boxes can be pulled off the internet as well as photos of people (appearances put aside).

The police ain't gonna do nothin'.

It sounds like a washed up he or she (or both....) that belongs in the nuthouse...

Either that or, as stated before, a teenager begging for attention.

Here's the fishy thing for me: Why would anyone go out of their way to buy such things for two people they don't really know? And a Ricky bass and a Wolfgang is an unlikely choice.

And I think your sons should be more careful about who they friend on Facebook. I'm not on Facebook, or on any social networking things (unless you consider the forums one!), and that is exactly why.

I would stick my nose away if I were you. It's the right thing to do. One would have to be one helluva materialist to go through with this. Sure, I'd love to have a Ricky bass and a Wolfgang, but not like that. Working my a$$ off to buy them beats this offer by a long mile.

To make this thread a tad bit more hilarious,

IT'S HERBERT THE PERVERT FROM FAMILY GUY!!!!!!!

Meet her in a public place, ask her if the gifts are in the trunk of her car, open the trunk, if she says no, there is something fishy bout it

Are you kidding?

Life is not how it appears on TV, kid. You need some common sense, stat! That's why I watch Seinfeld! It being about "nothing" makes it the most "real" show ever! I know a lot about nothing. I suppose you don't. You know something about something but not something about nothing.

I'll get flamed for saying this, I'm sure, but playing Grand Theft Auto will teach ya' a lesson if you're mind is in the right direction: DON'T @#$$ WITH THE WRONG PEOPLE!!!!!!

And how are we so sure "she" is a "she"!

Man, there was something fishy bout' it from the get-go!

Get with the program!

Another 0.02 herewith...that's 0.04 in total so far... :blink:

IMX 'self assessment' works extremely well for most safety issues

The police have better things to do than pick up the debris of internet tourism....

It can be fun to 'play' a chancer/fraudster online in the safety of rock solid anonymity

Potential safety issues proliferate when that anonymity is relaxed (even slightly).... :unsure:

V

:-({|=

Clearly the whole thing sounds extremely dodgy.

Ask your sons to inform her you'd like to speak with her in person. If she's genuine she will accept the offer. After all, she must understand your reservations. If she doesn't then she's a con-artist.

If possible check out her other friends on her facebook home-page(?) and see if they give you any more clues as to her 'philanthropy'.

...a Facebook Friend.....has told them she bought expensive guitars for both of them.......She has shown them pictures of the guitars in cases with the shipping box next to them.

The story would have a bit more creedence if she could post photos of her holding the actual guitars - and I don't mean in a shop.....

P.

This is an easy one. Ninety five percent chance it's some kind of a scam, but you know that.

If your kids are adults, it's none of your business (it probably is your business, but as a parent, you have to keep your nose out of it). Maybe just a little advice might be in order.

If you want to throw a little parenting on the kids (like as if they're not adults), then ask to talk with the girl's parents. Like parents usually do. If they don't let you talk with the parent, then you give 'em trouble about it.

I don't know about you, but nobody stays at my house that I don't know, period. When the kids were here, we knew who came over to stay and we talked with the parents if we needed to.

You want to help them without over parenting. Tough situation. But the longer you look over their shoulders, the longer they'll be living with you. [biggrin][woot]

In my opinion there is no 'dilemma'. Assuming, that friend is real and a 'rebellious teenager' - you still wouldn't acceptsuch valuable gifts from someone you hardly know. If she is looking for attention as the OP suggested you are basically taking advantage of someone who is confused and vulnerable. I consider hormone-plagued teenage girls vulnerable...

sometimes strange things happen though two years ago I was at a large art show and a older guy probably 70 watched for a couple hours. He came up at the end and asked me if I would be there again the next day and I said I would. The next day I saw the same older guy watching again and he had a guitar case with him. he was quiet and pleasant the day before so I figured he wanted to jam a bit so on a break I called him over and asked him if he wanted to sit in on a few songs. He said no that he didn't play at all but his son had a guitar and he had passed away years ago and he wanted me to have it, all because I guess i reminded him of what is son would have sounded like as a older man. I thought to myself yeah right and told him thank you but I'd feel wrong taking his son's guitar he said he understood and said thanks anyway I really enjoyed it I lost sight of him about a hour later figured he had left so I finished about another hour and decided to call it a day and sitting back behind me at my booth next to my guitar cases was the case the old man was carrying I opened it and inside was a very nice 1963 guild Bluegrass Jubilee an amazing guitar with a very sweet voice. On top of the 20+ year old rusted strings was a simple note saying he wanted me to have it and if i didn't want it to just find it a good home as he had always kept if for his son's memories, but hearing my music made him think it should be out making music again. I still have that guitar and I still take it to that art show every year hoping he'll walk by again and i'll get a chance to thank him and show him what it sounds like, but I've never seen him again. Ive never decided yet what I plan on doing with all my gear when I get past playing age, but this one I plan on passing on the same way I left the nite in the case and I'll add one of my own and just set it in front of some kid busking somewhere that I think would keep it singing.

sometimes strange things happen though two years ago I was at a large art show and a older guy probably 70 watched for a couple hours. He came up at the end and asked me if I would be there again the next day and I said I would. The next day I saw the same older guy watching again and he had a guitar case with him. he was quiet and pleasant the day before so I figured he wanted to jam a bit so on a break I called him over and asked him if he wanted to sit in on a few songs. He said no that he didn't play at all but his son had a guitar and he had passed away years ago and he wanted me to have it, all because I guess i reminded him of what is son would have sounded like as a older man. I thought to myself yeah right and told him thank you but I'd feel wrong taking his son's guitar he said he understood and said thanks anyway I really enjoyed it I lost sight of him about a hour later figured he had left so I finished about another hour and decided to call it a day and sitting back behind me at my booth next to my guitar cases was the case the old man was carrying I opened it and inside was a very nice 1963 guild Bluegrass Jubilee an amazing guitar with a very sweet voice. On top of the 20+ year old rusted strings was a simple note saying he wanted me to have it and if i didn't want it to just find it a good home as he had always kept if for his son's memories, but hearing my music made him think it should be out making music again. I still have that guitar and I still take it to that art show every year hoping he'll walk by again and i'll get a chance to thank him and show him what it sounds like, but I've never seen him again. Ive never decided yet what I plan on doing with all my gear when I get past playing age, but this one I plan on passing on the same way I left the nite in the case and I'll add one of my own and just set it in front of some kid busking somewhere that I think would keep it singing.

Great story... Can you post a pic of that guitar?

That is a really wonderful story, almost something out of a movie.

Why would a pedophile be going after 21-year-olds?

That's what I say.

Also, they all know what each other looks like. So having undercover police at the exchange will not work. Besides, I am not ready to get the authorities involved yet. I mean what if it really turns out to be legit. They would have some sweet guitars from someone just wanting to be nice. Far-fetched, but still a possibility that I do not want to mess up yet.

The police ain't gonna do nothin'.

It sounds like a washed up he or she (or both....) that belongs in the nuthouse...

Either that or, as stated before, a teenager begging for attention.

Here's the fishy thing for me: Why would anyone go out of their way to buy such things for two people they don't really know? And a Ricky bass and a Wolfgang is an unlikely choice.

And I think your sons should be more careful about who they friend on Facebook. I'm not on Facebook, or on any social networking things (unless you consider the forums one!), and that is exactly why.

I would stick my nose away if I were you. It's the right thing to do. One would have to be one helluva materialist to go through with this. Sure, I'd love to have a Ricky bass and a Wolfgang, but not like that. Working my a$$ off to buy them beats this offer by a long mile.

To make this thread a tad bit more hilarious,

IT'S HERBERT THE PERVERT FROM FAMILY GUY!!!!!!!

Not unlikely choices. They told her that was what they wanted. It started earlier when she offered to buy them something to help them out (music-wise). They have a web-site where they can post their music and this girl signed up as a subscriber to it. It's all about promoting yourself and your band. She is a supporter and maybe just wants to help out.

I will definelely keep this thread going and let everyone know the outcome, either way it goes.

I agree with everything and the hot chick is probably a 50 year old guy or a cop on a sting but it never hurts to ask a simple question of what and why and just see what the person say's it would be interesting to hear the reason why she ??? may be doing this.

As I said before...She is not a Hot Chick. Her picture is hideous. Why would someone, intending to commit fraud, fake themselves as someone not too attractive. If they were really trying to commit fraud, they'd put a hot babe in a bikini or something like that on the Facebook profile.

Hey Lp,

How are You my friend from St. louis?

As far as your question, There are a lot of creeps on Facebook and there is no telling what this person wants. Why would some stranger just want to give out such expensive items without a hitch? No telling who this person really is and a hard luck story is probably soon to follow requesting money be sent. RUN Man Run. Your sons need to stop being friends with this person and live their lives before trouble comes to town. Too many good people in the world that are for real to hung up on this Troubling person. My 2 cents anyway.

Peace Bro

See, there are some nice people in this world. [biggrin]

Hey Lp,

How are You my friend from St. louis?

As far as your question, There are a lot of creeps on Facebook and there is no telling what this person wants. Why would some stranger just want to give out such expensive items without a hitch? No telling who this person really is and a hard luck story is probably soon to follow requesting money be sent. RUN Man Run. Your sons need to stop being friends with this person and live their lives before trouble comes to town. Too many good people in the world that are for real to hung up on this Troubling person. My 2 cents anyway.

Peace Bro

Hey Rewd, Nice to hear from you. It's been awhile. If this girl used a picture like your avatar, I'd really be suspicious, LOL. Still love that picture.

I'm torn between the two sides of this issue. I will definelty be involved and not let her stay at my house. This is the best thread I have ever posted. Lots of great responses. I will keep everyone informed how it plays out.

Not unlikely choices. They told her that was what they wanted. It started earlier when she offered to buy them something to help them out (music-wise). They have a web-site where they can post their music and this girl signed up as a subscriber to it. It's all about promoting yourself and your band. She is a supporter and maybe just wants to help out.

I will definelely keep this thread going and let everyone know the outcome, either way it goes.

I see. I wasn't aware of that. I just thought it was a surprise offering (excuse my brain...).

Maybe it's safe, maybe it isn't.

Maybe she's just a fan of music? Who knows...

I see. I wasn't aware of that. I just thought it was a surprise offering (excuse my brain...).

Maybe it's safe, maybe it isn't.

Maybe she's just a fan of music? Who knows...

OR....... knowing the twin's parents will accompany them to meet her, she has her partner burgle the house while everyone is gone!

Archived