Gibson Brands Forums

Possible NGD - Dad's J-100

ksdaddy

So here's the back story (there always is with me). In late 1984 or early 1985 my father unceremoniously sold a '73 J-200 he despised. He spoke with someone at Gibson in Nashville (long before Bozeman) and they said Gibson was doing their best to turn things around with their acoustics, trying to emulate the old stuff (my words, not theirs). Dad always loved the J200s but cheapskate that he was, he wanted the J200 boom without the bling. I never agreed with that; "In for a penny, in for a pound" I say. I'm not going to buy a Cadillac with an AM radio. So the J100 was decided upon.

This one is from July of 1985, made in Nashville. Any catalog photo of that era I've ever seen showed the J100 having a belly up bridge. This one came stock with a moustache. Dad bought it new and it didn't get used a whole lot. He bounced back and forth between this and the '81 Martin M-38. He gave me the Martin in '94. I never use it because it plays like a Martin but I want to keep it in the family regardless. Dad became ill in 1993 and to my knowledge never played again. He passed in 1999. My mother left this in it's case upstairs until now. She had considered giving it to my brother, since Dad had given me the Martin but my brother isn't very responsible and it would likely end up in a pawn shop. My brother bought a new Dobro 60-DS in 1980 and lost it to the landlord a couple years later. Dad bought it back and gave it back to him (my brother). In 2008 my brother got hard up for money and I bought it from him for $1000. I've been babysitting it ever since, in case he ever wants it back.

So today my mother said it was time to get rid of the J100. She asked if I'd sell it on ebay and asked what I could get for it. Money isn't an issue, she was just curious. I told her $1000 would be a good safe bet. I didn't let on that I would probably just give her the $1000 and be done with it. I already have 2 J200s and don't need this at all, but it would be nice to hang onto....I guess. I haven't spent any time with it really. It hasn't left the house since 1993 and I doubt it's been played 15 minutes since then. I'd take it out once in a while and just look it over, maybe strum a few chords.

Not sure what to do. Maybe I should just see if I bond with it at all.

fo0ggh.jpg

There's too much history associated with that guitar to let it go. I'd just keep it, and give your mother the money she might get for it.

Once your folks are gone, you come to cherish things that remind you of them. I don't have many of those things anymore, and my parents have largely become a distant memory more than 20 years after their deaths. It's not that I don't remember them, but without something to remind me of them they just aren't there most of the time.

You have an opportunity here to keep your dad's memory close at hand. Don't pass it up.

I have to agree with Nick, I only wish that I had something to hold on to that my father was passionate about, pro OR con. Due to circumstances beyond my control the only thing I have is a single picture of him in his later years. Leaves a big hole in your life, feel blessed and keep the guitar.

As an alternative...if you can't bond with it, send it to me and I'll pretend it was my fathers.

Ouuh the guitar should stay in your possession. For all the right reasons.

I keep my late dads instruments - even though he didn't approve of my path as a rock musician.

The mouth-harps, the clarinet, the accordion, even the matt grey cylinder-shaped metal shaker. The early 50's repertoire note-book also. . .

In my opinion, Gibsons made in the mid-1980s were the best the company had turned out since around 1968. Unfortunately it took the company getting to the point where there would soon not be a Gibson before they saw the light.

One of my hopes is that my kids will end up keeping playing my guitars and not selling them off.

I think you are making the perfect call - give the J-100 some time before you decide its fate. You never know. I had a guitar that I was initilly not overly fond of (I got it only because it was rare as heck and dirt cheap and I figured with a little bit of work I could flip it for a nice profit) but over the years but is now probably the one I play the most.

• 1 month later...

H, E double hockey sticks yes, keep it.

Pay Mom for it if it makes you feel better. Might keep peace in the family if someone else thought he/she deserved it.

Some day you can give it to your grandson / or granddaughter. (yes Ksdaddy, you're probably staring down the barrel of grandfather-hood and don't know it). Tell them to play the daylights out of it. Put on a patina of honest wear. Your dad bought it to be played, not moulder away in the case. If it isn't your cup-o-tea, I'm sure one of your progeny will be tickled to death to play it.

Grandparent-hood does sneak up on you. The kids NEVER ask your advice as to when you will receive this courtesy title.

Scott, I've seen a pic of this before I'm sure...pretty unforgettable looking guitar. I love how that plain teardrop 'guard looks next to the moustache.

I would keep the heck out of it if I were you (once KSGranny decides to part with it, of course).

Failing that, if it comes your way and you do decide to part with it, please let me know-I'd give you a good price and a very attentive home for the guitar!

Archived