Gibson Brands Forums

Hey Fender Guy...

Be sure to learn the basics first and most importantly the safety aspect as others have said. Once you know ins and outs of fixing amps with regard to the dangerous parts of the amps, just have at it.

Its kinda comparable, though missing the danger aspect, but when I started soldering and rewiring guitars, I didn't bother to look at any sort of theory. I ripped out everything from my Gibson and had at it. Obviously if there were some danger to doing that I would have become familiar with that aspect first.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FenderGuy - Here's a diagram that shows how to wire up an A/B/Y box like the one I showed in the pictures. Take a look at it and maybe you can figure out how to make one. I called it "ABY Road". What a comedian!

If you can make one of these up, you can have the rights to the 'ABY Road' name and the design.

[thumbup]

SCAN0006.jpg

I disagree with you on this. The best way to learn something is by actually doing it. Your example with the car is exactly how i got my first car. Guy down the road was junking a 60 chevy. Told him i'd take it and he towed it to my house. Parents were NOT Pleased as i was only 14 and couldn't drive it anyway but they gave me a month. Got it running, drove it up and down the road a few times (BEFORE they took the keys from me!), then sold it. You can't learn how to fix something if you don't have the something to begin with. [smile] An air guitar might be a difficult one though! [laugh]

Sure trial and error is great but in this day of age you could still just go to a book store and learn or just google info. Trial and error will always exist but i think me and his parents would both agree that he should learn the...precautions of electricity first before tackling on something with cap's that could kill you.

I'm all for danger but there are cooler ways to die.

Sounds like you already know some basics about electronics and how to solder which is an invaluable skill. Take some electronics classes if you can find any available, learn about the different types of components and what they do, buy simple circuit building kits, learn how to properly use a multimeter, etc. There's plenty of internet resources, but personally I learned more from 3 years of a hands-on vocational class than from anything I've ever read about electronics online.

But as others have said, first and foremost read up on the dangers involved and safety precautions to take. Don't want to see the next RIP thread on here being about you getting juiced by a filter cap! Electronics can be an awesome hobby if done safely and correctly, and being able to fix/build your own pedals, amp circuits and guitar electronics can save you a whole bunch of $$$ on service + labor charges in the future. And in terms of pedals, you can make your own "signature" effects with a completely unique tone if you get good enough to stray from kits. Imagine, your own signature line of pedals from MXR if you're ever famous! [cool]

People with ambition are the heroes. Leo Fender had ambition!

And yes, I agree with gdegant1. The only way you can learn guitar is by doing it!

Some people would disagree, but they're just pessimists and killjoys.

I support him.

I hope you'll all be happy when this kid gets knocked on his *** by ******* around with electric components he has little knowledge of.

That's basically what I said.

Circuit diagrams....amps have circuit diagrams.

There's as much lethal voltage in an old TV probably...think he's on 240v mains.

Quite a bit of juice in this thread too, which isn't even FG's... :blink:

Nice, I need a better A/B/Y box... [cool]

Should you get to poking around in tube amps, make sure you figure out how to properly discharge the large capacitors before doing anythin else. Those filter caps can hold around 450V DC, which could give you a pretty healthy shock if not properly discharged.

I would start with solid state amps first, my first repair was a solid state bass amp, Tested it with the Hendrix settings and amazingly, it did well.....

What are Hendrix settings?

He set his amps the way HE liked them to sound, so you should do the same.

I always start with the controls at noon, and then work from there.

What are Hendrix settings?

He set his amps the way HE liked them to sound, so you should do the same.

I always start with the controls at noon, and then work from there.

Oh i did the same, hendrix stopped by and showed us how to test an amp, Literally he did

I am not lying, he actually did, he looked very good for a zombie, but he showed ME how to play and set an amp the way that he did it

You were dreaming right?[flapper]

Your Hendrix experiences sound a lot like SRV's.....

He claimed that Hendrix helped him learn "Voodoo Chile", which he was struggling with, in a dream.....

And when he woke up, he NAILED it!

Why doesn't Alex Lifeson or Michael Schenker show up in my dreams?

All I get weird stuff...

You were dreaming right?[flapper]

Your Hendrix experiences sound a lot like SRV's,

He claimed that Hendrix helped him learn "Voodoo Chile", which he was struggling with, in a dream.....

And when he woke up, he NAILED it!

All I get is weird stuff...

Fixed it, BTW if you want your dreams to be what you want, when u go to dreamland just set ur mind to wat dream u can have, like i did, but i am not dreaming this time lol

Hendrix actually did stop by, a few of my friends had their jaws dropped lol :P

Because they're still alive? [flapper]

I read an interview with SRV where he spoke of a Hendrix dream too. They were jamming and Hendrix was showing him this really cool stuff on guitar. When he woke up, he wanted to try to replicate it right away... then realized he couldn't, as Hendrix had (somehow) been playing in between the strings and the fretboard! [laugh] . Ah, the magic of dreams... anything is possible.

One thing the Kid has right, you can actually direct your dreams. It takes practice and a concerted, repeated effort, but you can program your mind to give you the type of dream you want. Learned about it in a book on lucid dreaming 30 years ago.

As for that zombie stuff, don't need any. That's what the 870 riot gun full of slugs is for. [cool]

Because they're still alive? [flapper]

I read an interview with SRV where he spoke of a Hendrix dream too. They were jamming and Hendrix was showing him this really cool stuff on guitar. When he woke up, he wanted to try to replicate it right away... then realized he couldn't, as Hendrix had (somehow) been playing in between the strings and the fretboard! [laugh] . Ah, the magic of dreams... anything is possible.

One thing the Kid has right, you can actually direct your dreams. It takes practice and a concerted, repeated effort, but you can program your mind to give you the type of dream you want. Learned about it in a book on lucid dreaming 30 years ago.

As for that zombie stuff, don't need any. That's what the 870 riot gun full of slugs is for. [cool]

That could be true.....

Maybe Randy Rhoads or Rory Gallagher will show up tonight?

Guest farnsbarns

Try this...

Get a cheap wrist watch that'll beep on the hour. Every time it beeps, ask yourself, am I dreaming? Sleep with the watch on your night stand. After a couple of weeks you'll find yourself thinking, am I dreaming? And you'll realise you are, at this point you'll be having the most vivid lucid dream you've ever had. Enjoy being king of your own universe!

Do remember that with all the will in the world, your dreams only come from your head so asking Hendrix to teach you something will only result in him telling you what you think you know already.

Haven't read the whole thread, but I'm just going to be brief.

I think this sort of thing would be loads of fun for you, but make sure you understand the basics of safety before you do anything! After that, you best gather some information (google is extremely helpful with that :P) before you start messing with the electronics.

Archived