Gibson Brands Forums

Hey Fender Guy...

You should see if you can find some old amps to fix up. You would be good at it.

You could find some old Fenders or Marshalls in some guy's closet and fix them up and sell them. You can learn about amps as you go. As long as you know how to stay out of trouble with the electricity.

[thumbup]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finding the amps is worthless if you can't fix them.

How do you know he can't fix them? Perhaps it would help him learn if he got his hands on a broken one? Or are you just out to pick on this kid?

How do you know he can't fix them? Perhaps it would help him learn if he got his hands on a broken one? Or are you just out to pick on this kid?

Because he has stated before that he does have pretty much no knowledge of electronics and troubleshooting. The chances of him fixing a broken amp are very slim, there are so many problems that could be wrong with an amp that someone with no knowledge would just go nuts. Its like giving a kid a broken car, some wrenches and telling him to fix a car, not knowing anything about what is wrong with a car. How is that picking on him? Giving him advice on how to go on and fix amps is picking on someone?

Would you tell a med student to learn on his own by going out and pulling broken human beings out of people's closets? Or are you just here to argue with dem00n, just for the sake of arguing.

Amps can be tricky, and Nathan could potentially get electrocuted. If he learns about it first, rather than jumping into a project, this would be less likely to happen.

Would you tell a med student to learn on his own by going out and pulling broken human beings out of people's closets? Or are you just here to argue with dem00n, just for the sake of arguing.

Amps can be tricky, and Nathan could potentially get electrocuted. If he learns about it first, rather than jumping into a project, this would be less likely to happen.

Yes I'm here for the sake of arguing with Dem00n.

FYI Your analogy of a human body is pretty lame too. I can't see the comparison between a broken amp in the trash with a living person. [thumbup]

Yes I'm here for the sake of arguing with Dem00n.

FYI Your analogy of a human body is pretty lame too. I can't see the comparison between a broken amp in the trash with a living person. [thumbup]

Amps as well as people can break, if you can't see that, you're very dim witted.

Amps need a trained, professional, technician, while people need a trained, professional surgeon.

Fenderguy I think a great place to start for you would be building a Fuzz Face (convenient since you want a Fuzz Face). There's so much info available for this on the internet. You should look into it and if you need any help I'd be happy to do whatever I can to help.

Fixing an amp would be pretty intense for a beginner. Something like a Fuzz Face is a very simple circuit, but you can learn a lot from it and also make some sweet sounds with it.

Hey Fender Guy - don't worry about people telling you what you don't know and what you can't fix. People can get a little jealous of guys that have ambition.

The first thing to do is be on the lookout for old tube amps and learn how they work. You can read about them.

Some older tube amps are pretty simple and pretty easy to figure out.

Messing around with pedals is fun, too. I don't know if you know how to solder yet, but you can put together a pedal and learn some stuff about electronics at the same time.

Here's an A/B/Y pedal that I made. It was fun to figure out how to wire it up. I couldn't find a photo of the wiring inside, but there's wires all over the place in there.

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

[thumbup]

Because he has stated before that he does have pretty much no knowledge of electronics and troubleshooting. The chances of him fixing a broken amp are very slim, there are so many problems that could be wrong with an amp that someone with no knowledge would just go nuts. Its like giving a kid a broken car, some wrenches and telling him to fix a car, not knowing anything about what is wrong with a car. How is that picking on him? Giving him advice on how to go on and fix amps is picking on someone?

I disagree with you on this. The best way to learn something is by actually doing it. Your example with the car is exactly how i got my first car. Guy down the road was junking a 60 chevy. Told him i'd take it and he towed it to my house. Parents were NOT Pleased as i was only 14 and couldn't drive it anyway but they gave me a month. Got it running, drove it up and down the road a few times (BEFORE they took the keys from me!), then sold it. You can't learn how to fix something if you don't have the something to begin with. [smile] An air guitar might be a difficult one though! [laugh]

Guest farnsbarns

Why are some people always down on this kid. I have always taken the view that I can do anything practical if I am determined and yes, that includes fixing things of which I started out with no understanding at all. I say don't let a lack of knowledge become a barrier to acquiring knowledge.

I would agree with much that everyone has said here. In my early work career I was a certified component level electronics technician. Started out in the Vacuum tube days with TV's & Audio. Dem00n has a very valid point with learning some basics with regards to repairs & IMHO ELECTRIC HAZARDS. Obviously, you can be sent to the other side very easy inside esp. power supply areas & tube amp stuff. Study this & some simple theory, know where your fingers can and can't touch, get you a digital VOM and THEN TRY THINGS. You do learn from failure as well as success, however you just have to be able to live thru it.

I tore up all kinds of stuff learning and my ONLY failure was a Big Ben alarm clock that I went to fix and that flew apart and I didn't see where the pieces came from. [biggrin]

Been shocked several times but knew not be be grounded (I hate getting shocked!!!) so I live to see another day. 120v is the primary killer of the ticker. Unless you get into 480v and above and that's not usually survivable.

Just maybe me, but learn some basics & safe practices, find stuff broken and have at it. You may be able to find schematics online for free on some stuff too.

Aster

Hey Fender Guy - don't worry about people telling you what you don't know and what you can't fix. People can get a little jealous of guys that have ambition.

The first thing to do is be on the lookout for old tube amps and learn how they work. You can read about them.

Some older tube amps are pretty simple and pretty easy to figure out.

Messing around with pedals is fun, too. I don't know if you know how to solder yet, but you can put together a pedal and learn some stuff about electronics at the same time.

Here's an A/B/Y pedal that I made. It was fun to figure out how to wire it up. I couldn't find a photo of the wiring inside, but there's wires all over the place in there.

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

[thumbup]

Great advice [thumbup]

Archived