Gibson Brands Forums

The Affirmitive: Rock is Officially Dead

J.R.M.30!

I just watched the documentary titled: "Foo Fighters; Back and Forth". Hands down the most boring documentary I have ever seen. It seemed like a lame spoof of "Behind the Music" on VH-1 as it showed the mundane life of Rock musicians so called "fall" in the music industry and their "rise". This particular film tried really hard not to make itself a parody but in the end it was just that. We've all heard the story before about the usage of hard drugs leading to.... you guessed it an overdose which was life threatening to one of the band members. After that it was blah, blah, blah and more blah. Again you guessed it, The Foo Fighters came back from a down period and rocked arenas, stages etc. etc. really hard man, yeah really hard man. The final quote of the movie was David Grohl saying "If we would've taken this thing more seriously, we would've come up with a better name", ahh that's a nice way to summarize your poor, fledgeling, ho hum rockumentary is it not. [thumbdn]

I enjoyed that doc a great deal. Maybe it was because I was in a movie theater with many other people and the vibe was good. But it was great to see how the band works together, to find out some stuff I never knew (the fact that DG re-recorded ALL of the drums on that one album without telling the drummer...

It was fun and well done in my opinion.

It was also a documentary created to promote the new album so it was a little different than a lot of other music docs...it is what it is...as much as I hate that phrase.

I get that people didn't like it, but to say Rock is Dead because of a 1.5 hour movie? Pure silliness.

I enjoyed it a ton. Great documentary about a great band.

But my favorite documentaries lately are the Lemmy doc, and of course "Beyond The Lighted Stage" (Rush).

A lot of people I know won't shut up about the Pearl Jam doc. I can't have a valid opinion because I haven't watched the whole thing, but from what I saw, it was pretty lame.

Well, it was great (for me, that is) until Eddie Vedder came along. Then it got boring.

There are only a few rockumentaries I can stand. End of The Century was a good one, RAW was great, I forgot this one, but it was a video biography of Hendrix from Leon, childhood friends, and early band mates. Maybe a few other of these movies, but I can't think from the top of my head.

Alright, just thought of another, I think it was titled "The Last 48 Hours of Kurt Cobain" Saw it a few years ago.

It was also a documentary created to promote the new album so it was a little different than a lot of other music docs...it is what it is...as much as I hate that phrase.

I get that people didn't like it, but to say Rock is Dead because of a 1.5 hour movie? Pure silliness.

I can't stand that phrase, either! Where do these stupid catch phrases come from and why do they catch on so hard?

Ironically I happened to catch the doc after coming home from a FF's concert so maybe thats why I enjoyed it.

Rock's been dead for a long time you're just trippin over the carcass.

.................Oh and Madonna's in the RNR Hall of Fame.

Just sayin'.msp_flapper.gif

But my favorite documentaries lately are the Lemmy doc, and of course "Beyond The Lighted Stage" (Rush).

A lot of people I know won't shut up about the Pearl Jam doc. I can't have a valid opinion because I haven't watched the whole thing, but from what I saw, it was pretty lame.

Well, it was great (for me, that is) until Eddie Vedder came along. Then it got boring.

Kaleb,

I thought that you were moving on my friend? You couldn't stay away from the guy's uh?

Well, welcome back, and stay for a while this time!!!

Kaleb,

I thought that you were moving on my friend? You couldn't stay away from the guy's uh?

Well, welcome back, and stay for a while this time!!!

Well, I checked back as a guest a few times, and a few topics caught my eye.

The last one I checked before signing back in was a topic about Alex Lifeson's tone and I couldn't resist!

Yes, I'm staying.

Hey hey, my my

Rock and roll will never die

There's more to the picture

Than meets the eye

Hey hey, my my

Out of the blue and into the black

You pay for this and they give you that

Once you're gone, you can't come back

When you're out of the blue

And into the black

The king is gone but he's not forgotten

Is the story of Johnny Rotten?

It's better to burn out 'cause rust never sleeps

Hey hey, my my

Than meets the eye

(Neil Young)

Hey hey, my my

Than meets the eye

Hey hey, my my

Out of the blue and into the black

You pay for this and they give you that

Once you're gone, you can't come back

When you're out of the blue

And into the black

Is the story of Johnny Rotten?

It's better to burn out 'cause rust never sleeps

Hey hey, my my

Than meets the eye

(Neil Young)

Yeah Neil's dead too.

Music doesn't die, people will always like different types of music. Unless humanity dies then music dies. Small brains cant process that it seems...

Well right, music won't die, I agree with that. Especially if you look at artefacts being 30.000 years old, like that flute they found in a German cave in 2009. It is pretty clear that music is intrinsic to the human brain. Music is linked to the ability to use and process language (that's why, for example, parrots are able to nod their heads to a beat).

On anorther level though, I think the 'rock n roll is dead' phrase is somewhat true. It has lost cultural impact as has music in general. And it has a lot to do with the disintegration of the old industry structures and how music has become less valuable and turned into muzak to be listened to to soundtrack your life.

Anyway, books have been written about that stuff, really broad topic.

You should check out the "Running Down a Dream" documentary about Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, absolutely superb. Nothing like a good rockumentary. :)

Ironically I happened to catch the doc after coming home from a FF's concert so maybe thats why I enjoyed it.

Rock's been dead for a long time you're just trippin over the carcass.

msp_flapper.gif

For me, in 2012, it's been one of the best in years for new Rock Albums.

Driving Towards the Daylight by Joe Bonamassa

Clockwork Angels by Rush

Apocalyptic Love by Slash

Choice of Weapon by The Cult

Boys and Girls by Alabama Shakes

Standing At the Sky's Edge by Richard Hawley

Analog Man by Joe Walsh

I also saw my best concert to date in 2012 when I finally got to see Tom Petty after a 25 year wait.

Rock music is alive and kicking my friend. [flapper]

Archived