Gibson Brands Forums

2 and Done.

jedzep

We've all done the Sophie's choice poll. Which 1 acoustic would get you through the rest of your playing days. This choice is a bit easier to stomach for us 'accumulators', and I've often thought my economic situation could very well make this real for me some day soon. You need to get down to just 2 acoustics. What qualities would you seek to keep you satisfied and which acoustic flat tops would stay in your stable. All makers included.

It would have to be a slope J of some variety both for tradition and to have one big guitar with a big voice, and a small body like the L-00 for sittin' and pickin'. I happen to have several that would fit the bill, among all the clutter of archtop, flat tops, six strings, 12 string, electrics, and acoustics. It would be an easy choice right now, but that could change.

If it came down to a single guitar, it would have to be the '48-'50 J-45 that I've owned for 45+ years, but that's as much out of sentiment as practicality. All I have to do is look at that one and my entire adult life flashes before my eyes, for better or worse. And it has been both.

Don't forget...you get to keep 2. The bell-like signature Martin tone means I'd probably have to keep the old D18, but that makes choosing the Gibson tougher...down to 1 guitar left I can own. I think that if I could find a mid to late 30's VG condition L00, (sold both of mine and regret it) I'd mate that up with the Martin. What I have to work with, however, is my J45 or my LG2.

I need a drink!

Lowden F Customized to Short Scale voiced by Mr.Lowden/Braz/Master Adi/High Polished Back & Sides/Ziricote Overlay

Huss & Dalton DS Braz/Adi Slope Shoulder

Both of these are virtuoso grade acoustic guitars.

(Not only for the virtuoso but for the aspiring virtuoso)

If ArchTop is considered an acoustic I would take my 1997 Gibson L5CES Historic 58' instead of the H&D.. I have only plugged it in once or twice in 7 years. I love it.

Think I'd bring the D-35 as a symbol of eternal fidelity – and then have a really hard time picking the Gibson.

The modified 1966 Country and Western it'll probably be – it climbs the ladder these days.

That would mean -

1 rose / 1 hog

1 unscalloped / 1 scalloped

1 plain looker / 1 dressed a bit up - apart from the 3-point guard, the C&W has mop diamonds on the fretboard, black nut with white bindings round the headstock and a Grateful Dead-like silver t.r .cover. Also one of these neck endings } , , , , which I really dig.

I've just made my choices, retired, selling the house, going small. I'm keeping my Martin Graphite II as a beater, go anywhere, let anyone play it guitar. The other is coming UPS as I write: a Redline Parlor with Sycamore sides and back, Carpathian top. My last Gibson left here about a year ago, traded for a mandolin. I miss that fine J185TV.

I don't understand the point of this type of question. devil.gif I like having lots of guitars. They are like toys to me and I have spent many a happy hour going from one to the next, comparing them, trying out different tunes and techniques, enjoying their different sounds and dynamics, body and neck shapes, sometimes just staring at them fondly. I have maybe 8 really decent ones and another dozen or so middling and cheapo guitars. Certain instruments will get very heavy play for months and then mysteriously go out of fashion only to be rediscovered and undergo a renaissance a year later. There are still a few models I have my eye on. It's a fun game and keeps me off the street.

I was thinking about that. For me if I had to get down to two it would without question be the AL SJ and HB TV. However, if a third one was allowed I would add the 00-15 to the list. That to me is pretty much a brilliant trio.

I don't understand the point of this type of question. devil.gif I like having lots of guitars. They are like toys to me and I have spent many a happy hour going from one to the next, comparing them, trying out different tunes and techniques, enjoying their different sounds and dynamics, body and neck shapes, sometimes just staring at them fondly. I have maybe 8 really decent ones and another dozen or so middling and cheapo guitars. Certain instruments will get very heavy play for months and then mysteriously go out of fashion only to be rediscovered and undergo a renaissance a year later. There are still a few models I have my eye on. It's a fun game and keeps me off the street.

Absolutely follow your text. But isn't all that luxurious back'n'forth groovin' between this and that and that and this in herd, the reason to play the game ?

As I see it there's a deep philosophical dimension to the question – about rationalizing, making existential/essential choices in life and sense of dualism.

Why not get those 2 guitars boiled forward Jerry.

Best Thoughts

Can't help it but with a gun pointed at my head forcing me to make a choice I am afraid my Gibsons just ain't gonna make the cut.

One would be my 1932 National Duolian as sometimes ya just need to play some dirt underyour fingernails blues. The most in your face guitar ever created.

Second - a much tougher choice but I am going with my 1956 Epiphone FT-79. Objectivley I know this is not the best sounding guitar I own but for whatever reason this one just really gets to me. At the least, its chuncky soft V French Heel neck is the best I have ever run across.

Absolutely follow your text. But isn't all that luxurious back'n'forth groovin' between this and that and that and this in herd, the reason to play the game ?

As I see it there's a deep philosophical dimension to the question – about rationalizing, making existential choices in life and sense of dualism.

Why not get those 2 guitars boiled forward Jerry.

Best Thoughts

Well I am puzzled by the mindset that seeks to rank instruments in a hierarchy because to me they are colors on a palette. Or submit to guitar monogamy - only one! Or the conventional staid wife plus sexy mistress.

Are you all worried about some disaster overtaking and having to sell all but 2? I prefer dreams of glorious harems of guitars!

Well I am puzzled by the mindset that seeks to rank instruments in a hierarchy because to me they are colors on a palette. Or submit to guitar monogamy - only one! Or the conventional staid wife plus sexy mistress.

Are you all worried about some disaster overtaking and having to sell all but 2? I prefer dreams of glorious harems of guitars!

I see - you simply aren't a less is more man.

Perhaps more tuned to the Whats on your possibilities list..? thread.

I also comprehend the palette analogy (without forgetting how many painters challenged themselves exactly by the 'reducing the colors game').

Gather on. . . .

Archived