Gibson Brands Forums

Brutus has gone :(

Rabs

So yesterday I had a very sad day.... My cat Brutus passed away.. And im so sad...

He was 20 years old this year and was always happy and healty and played like a kitten even just a month ago he was still like that.

This vid was taken this July..

But over the last month he had stoped playing and been sleeping outside alot.. Then since the weekend he refused to eat anything at all after a week or so of not eating properly. Then I could see the last couple of days he was dragging his feet and was obviously weak.

So I did what I think is the right thing and stopped it before he was really suffering. The vet and my mum who came with me agreed. I feel bad in some ways, but I know that was just me hoping he'd just get better but deep down I knew he wouldnt.

He actually came with my now ex wife and she left him here when she left me.. But for the last five years me and Brutus became so close. Since I live alone he was like a Brother, a Freind and a Son to me all wrapped into one fluffy ball of fur :) And he was a free cat, he had an open cat flap and came and went as he wanted. He had as much food, toys, hugs, fights and places to sleep that any cat could want. And apart from the end was generally happy and healthy all of the time. I guess you cant ask for much more than that.

I will miss you forever Brutus.. I hope one day somehow we meet again..

DSC_0043.jpg

DSCr01210.jpg

DSC01209.jpg

kittycute-1.jpg

kittycouchsepia-1.jpg

I am sorry for your loss. The bond with a cat is not easy to explain, we've lost our share of late teens aged cats. I feel your pain, and I will hug my two for Brutus when I get home.

rct

That means alot to me..

Thank you man [thumbup]

I've got two - Hooter and Sox - sending out their cat vibes. I would sure miss that.

My condolences to you Rabs.

RIP Brutus.

Thanks Big K and Shred...

It helps knowing there are other people who understand.. I know people who just dont do animals and have never undertsood that.. Brutus was one of those cats that seemed to have an old soul inside him.. You get to know them as much as you would do a human all of their quirks.

And he was amazing.. He was still doing things that suprised me and made me laugh right to the end.

My heart goes out to you as we had to get my cat Scruffy put down last week as he was full of FIV (Feline Immunodeficiency Virus?)and his kidney's were shutting down causing him excrutiating pain.I hope that in time all the pain that you are feeling now,is replaced with warm and happy memories of your beloved Brutus.God Bless.

So sorry Rabs. [crying]

Cats are wonderful creatures. For the first 40 years of my life I had no affinity for cats. But when I adopted one from the local shelter about 5 years ago, little did I know how much that cat would come to mean to me. I now have a great love for cats, and all animals really.

I know when my cat goes I will be very upset. I live alone too Rabs, and sometimes feel like I don't know what I would do if she wasn't around.

I do know I would be much less happy.

Try to be happy for the love he gave you. I'm sure he was very happy with the love you gave him. :)

My heart goes out to you as we had to get my cat Scruffy put down last week as he was full of FIV (Feline Immunodeficiency Virus?)and his kidney's were shutting down causing him excrutiating pain.I hope that in time all the pain that you are feeling now,is replaced with warm and happy memories of your beloved Brutus.God Bless.

Thanks man..

Yes the vet suspected much the same for Brutus that his liver was failing.. So it was either more tests and time or the needle. And he seemed so unhappy the last few days that I knew what had to be done for his sake. My thoughts go to you too. I know it takes time to get used to these things.. Small things remind you of them all of the time.

And already even though I miss him, as I was looking through old pictures and videos of him I was not crying but smiling and laughing.. The worst part is that he would follow me around the flat all of the time. So every time I get out of my chair I look around to see where he is and then realise a second later.

And Sellen and Brad.. Thank you too (I do feel like I have to thank everyone as it means alot to me that people understand)... And yes Brad he gave me so much.. I and I did whatever I could to make him happy and comfortable even when it meant that my hands were constantly scratched up and sore for many years of play fighting with him, but I didnt care... In fact one time someone asked me if I punched glass in my spare time lol.. But it was all worth it to make Brutus happy.

Sorry for your loss Rabs. Pets are one of the things that help us get through the tough times in life, and remind us to have fun. Brutus looked like a cool little dude. 20 years is a good run! But I know that doesn't make it any easier. Sorry again.

Sorry for your loss.

I've had to lay to rest 3 family members(all dogs) over the last few years and all were 13 years or older. It is a tough thing to do. I've got a 14 year old cat(AC named after a game I used to play called Asheron's Call) that I'm enjoying every day with.

Sorry for your loss Rabs. Pets are one of the things that help us get through the tough times in life, and remind us to have fun. Brutus looked like a cool little dude. 20 years is a good run! But I know that doesn't make it any easier. Sorry again.

Thanks... Yeah he was a character for sure :) Loved by all that met him..

And thanks Evol, DCD and Tazz... Everyones wishes and thoughts help and are very appreciated :)

Heres a few more of Brutus showing his love of fighting (man did he love a good scrap)

DSC00507.jpg

DSC00502.jpg

DSC00500-1.jpg

And one showing how cute and funny he was.. he sat like that for like two minutes :)

2011-02-16123743.jpg

My condolences Rabs. Sorry to hear about your loss. I also had a similar loss a few years ago.

My cat had 21 years of good life. Her name was Kitty and was my buddy for the majority of my single adult life.

We now have another cat. He has bonded more with my kids than me. Perhaps because there will be no cat to replace Kitty.

Or my kids have filled that void. What ever it is it was a bond and the loss hurts.

They are family.

And hey, at least Brutus had a cool name,, Kitty was kind of lame but she was female and it suited her.

And I always said, if I could spell how a can opener sounds, I would have named her that, cuz thats the only thing she

answered to. As a fellow cat lover, I get it.

RIP Brutus.

And hey, at least Brutus had a cool name,, Kitty was kind of lame but she was female and it suited her.

And I always said, if I could spell how a can opener sounds, I would have named her that, cuz thats the only thing she

answered to. As a fellow cat lover, I get it.

RIP Brutus.

Thanks man..

And yes he had a cool name :) But it was one of many... Including kitty, snot puss (as he had a snotty nose), mr stinky, snot bags, fluffy bum and many more :D

Cats are wonderful pets and looks like Brutus was a very special one... Sorry for your loss. It's so difficult to lose a loving pet, I have been through it too many times. Just think of the great memories of Brutus and his antics. Those memories will never fade...

Cats are wonderful pets and looks like Brutus was a very special one... Sorry for your loss. It's so difficult to lose a loving pet, I have been through it too many times. Just think of the great memories of Brutus and his antics. Those memories will never fade...

Thanks man..

And yeah.. at the moment its hard to get the picture of his last moments out of my head.. But im sure that, as you say, will go away.. and we have so many great memories together.. I am thankful for that and to have been the one to look after him.

When my kitty of 12 years died I was devastated and mad. "Why have pets if they are just gonna break your heart?" I asked myself. Now that five years have gone by since Toto departed, I realize what a wonderful opportunity we gave eachother to love and be loved. I have great memories of him. When I see a cat that looks like him I get choked up but I know he was worth the pain. It may be a while before you can adopt again. I recently adopted a girl doggie...too soon for a cat, even after all this time.

Sorry for your loss, Rabs.

When my kitty of 12 years died I was devastated and mad. "Why have pets if they are just gonna break your heart?" I asked myself. Now that five years have gone by since Toto departed, I realize what a wonderful opportunity we gave eachother to love and be loved. I have great memories of him. When I see a cat that looks like him I get choked up but I know he was worth the pain. It may be a while before you can adopt again. I recently adopted a girl doggie...too soon for a cat, even after all this time.

Sorry for your loss, Rabs.

Thanks Izzy.. And yeah I have always more traditionaly been a dog person before I had Brutus but I live in a small flat and when im working am not at home much so its not really something I can do..

And yeah its worth it.. If we all did nothing in fear of getting hurt then no one would fall in love.. and that would be a really crap world to live in. I wouldnt swap all the good times we have had for anything.

Maybe once (or if) I ever settel down a bit or if I ever have a family I would get another cat or a dog (I used to have a dog at my family home)... but not for now..

Archived