Gibson Brands Forums

What Is Your Favorite Pickup Position?

Tman5293

On my strat I usually use bridge or bridge/middle, mostly with the S-1 switch in.

I've not tried/owned a gibson 3 pickup guitar yet, but I'm not sure I'd like how they're wired.

On my 2 pickup guitars I like the middle position and using the volume and tone knobs to find the right tone. Full bridge volume and tone, with about 1/3 rolled off of neck volume is nice; and almost full neck volume, little or no neck tone, very little bridge volume (like 3-4), and full bridge tone can be sweet depending amp settings.

I like the Middle pick up on a Strat, except when I'm on the neck pick up. When I switch to the bridge pick up I really like the sound of that, too. I really like the "Cluck" a Strat gets from combining the bridge and middle pick up, and the thick growl it gets from combining the Middle and Neck pick ups.

However, on my Night Hawk I really like the Bridge Pick up, until I switch to the Mini-Bucker in the neck position. Then when it comes time for a little twang I really like to coil split the bridge pick up. Then there's position 3 and 4, which are different combinations of Neck and Bridge, both split and unsplit, they're probably my least favorite tones, but the lend themselves to the right situation.

reverse cowgirl

Is that where the cowgirl wears some apparatus and ... uh, oh, forget it [blink] .

It depends on the guitar and amp and piece I'm playing. With my latest gear, I seem to switch between and play them all about equally. I think if you find yourself playing only one pup in a guitar, it's time to expirement with some new pup options in that position. Life is full of choices.

I voted neck. If the neck p/u is over where the 24th fret would be it has all that harmonic content.

If you try getting different tonal variations just by moving hand position, the bridge p/u has more of that....IMO.

Regards!

Depends on the guitar

Depends on the song

Depends on the amp

Depends on the pup

My favorite position is the one that sounds the best for what I want to do. Which I think is close to what somebody already said.

I don't understand how you can really have a favorite position for the pup. Position alone, without knowing the info above, doesn't mean a whole lot; at least not to me. :)

Yes it depends on what guitar im using and what music im playing.. But all mine are Les Pauls and I mostly play blues and rock so for me the creamy bassy tones are what I mostly go for.. So yeah Neck.. But am always open to new ideas :P

Archived