Gibson Brands Forums

Clip-on Tuner

solving

planet waves mini tuner , had mine a year or so now with zero issues, and it wont take the looks from your DIF. :)

the intellitiouch tuners are the tonka trucks of tuners though

+1 !!

I love the Planet Waves Mini, works great, and almost invisible to anyone but the person playing the guitar.

All the other ones work really good, and they are definitely good products, but IMHO, they're just too big and obvious.

and the Mini's cheap enough where you can get a few of them and just keep them on the guitars you use the most.

for under 20 bucks, just try one..!!

planet waves mini tuner , had mine a year or so now with zero issues, and it wont take the looks from your DIF. :)

the intellitiouch tuners are the tonka trucks of tuners though

I like the Planet waves too.....very indiscrete......Of course if you like to be seen......then the Snark is pretty good too.....

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Planet-Waves-PW-CT-12-NS-Mini-Headstock-Tuner-107200214-i2013317.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&cagpspn=pla

I have several Snarks, ($10) and a Intellitouch PT10.($29)

The snarks are great, and the intellitouch is below average.

To be honest, I am done with Intellitouch.

Their customer service with me in the past has been wonderful,

but this product isn't sensitive to my guitars. For banjo, its much worse.

May be next time, I will stump for a Peterson Strobe.

I have several Snarks, ($10) and a Intellitouch PT10.($29)

The snarks are great, and the intellitouch is below average.

To be honest, I am done with Intellitouch.

Their customer service with me in the past has been wonderful,

but this product isn't sensitive to my guitars. For banjo, its much worse.

May be next time, I will stump for a Peterson Strobe.

Do you actually have to tune a banjo? [biggrin]

I bought one of the Peterson Strobes recently, and it is really good, once you figure out how to use it.

Do you actually have to tune a banjo? [biggrin]

I bought one of the Peterson Strobes recently, and it is really good, once you figure out how to use it.

Cheap shot Nick, cheap shot!!LOL

As everyone is saying, most of them tend to work pretty well. I just bought another one today. An Intellitouch. Also have three Snarks, a couple Planet WAves, and three Korgs. So now I've got one in each guitar case. I imagine some are better for the studio where you likely want to be more exact then sitting at a jam. I really wouldn't want to be without them.

I imagine some are better for the studio where you likely want to be more exact then sitting at a jam. I really wouldn't want to be without them.

I think you're dead on, Studio work is a different animal, the mic hears EVERYTHING and once it's tracked, it's permanent, as I do for intonating, the Peterson VS-1, (on equal temperament for intonation, gtr setting for tuning) is the bomb.. I've had the VS-1 for like 12 years, some one dropped it once, and the selection knob when flying off, busted shaft. Sent it back to Peterson, and for like 75 bucks they replaced it and I had it back in about a week. it's been rock solid other than that little mishap. Best tuner ever.

bit ridiculous that !

the peterson's are more expensive, but having said that they offer some of the more accurate tuners you can find, plus the have temperament settings that helps to compensate for the imperfections of tunings and they guitars physical shortcomings. (It's not BS, it does make a difference)

Are they worth it? for just quick tuning checks while jaming, or performing,, IMHO, no.. Get a Planet Waves or similar for 17 bucks and your done. If you need a good tuner for intonation/setup, get one of the other peterson style tuners and it will last you a life time.

Peterson for me...I use the sweetened acoustic setting. I can't use the Snark and Planet Waves tuners, the guitar always seems to be a little out of tune with itself. If I have to use one of those I end up re-tuning some of the strings by ear or a reference tone from the guitar itself.

I purchased a Peterson strobo-flip which I use on pedal steel with the same result. It also has sweetened tunings specifically for pedal steel. You can tune it up and go, that was previously unheard of with that instrument.

For me Peterson is worth the $$$.

Archived