Gibson Brands Forums

Plastic?

drokken2

So I had my strap fall off this last show i played, the screw came out too. When I went back to repair it I was shocked that instead of being solid wood, the are i would screw the screw into was plastic, this is on the bridge side of the guitar, center of the guitar and the output jack is a couple of inches away (if that makes sense)

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this? I don't know why Gibson would use plastic pieces rather than wood? All of my other guitars do not have plastic pieces installed in the wood.

The plastic piece almost looks like this: (http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/productimages/s4/28-18525.jpg) one of those plastic drywall anchors

was this guitar moded poorly at one time or is this a standard practice in the Gibson build? The guitar is a 2004 Gibson USA LP

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

[scared]

Never seen/heard such thing! I've changed the strap buttons when I installed the Strap-Locks, and screws went straight into the wood on both of my LPs.

I can't even imagine that!!!

Picures of the guitar with close-ups would be great...Definitely not a thing Gibson would do.

Cheers... Bence

Well it SHOULDN'T be their, originally the guitar is drilled to just hold the strap button screws.

Sounds like a poorly done repair using Wall expander.

The correct solution is to refill the hole with some wooden dowel and re-drill the hole to the correct size.

Alternatively make the hole smaller with small pieces of wood (eg ice cream stick wood) again using good wood glue

Hello Pippy! I wonder how the strap button is attached on the lower bout of this particular model ('69 Pink Beauty if I am right)? Cheers... Bence

On the end of the lower horn, Bence!

And spot on with the model. One of Les Paul's less well known designs.

Despite rumours to the contrary he always denied that there had been a great deal of input from his 3-y-o niece.

Great upper-fret access but let down by a neck joint that was too flexible - a problem which had actually appeared several years earlier with the LP SG....

OUCH !!! [scared]

Oh, I don't know.

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it, I always say.........

B)

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

On the end of the lower horn, Bence!

And spot on with the model. One of Les Paul's less well known designs.

Despite rumours to the contrary he always denied that there had been a great deal of input from his 3-y-o niece.

Great upper-fret access but let down by a neck joint that was too flexible - a problem which had actually appeared several years earlier with the LP SG....

Oh, I don't know.

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it, I always say.........

B)

P.

Certainly don't knock it if you have tried it. It could get lost.

Sorry for the late reply (crappy internet service while traveling)

I know that the guitar is a Gibson, being that the artist is endorsed by them and he has receipts from ALL his guitars they send him.

No pictures because the guitar is black and the plastic piece has been painted black as well (probably nail polish) but while working on it, it is very noticeable.

I personally have been building guitars for a few years, own about 15 Gibsons, and even more guitars from other companies.

I am currently a guitar tech for several different bands, and when we did a guitar change the screw came right out of the guitar, so I just repaired it by using the ol' toothpick trick, But what startled me was that another veteran tech of over 20 years said that the plastic piece for the strap was a "common thing" Gibson does, I didn't want to be rude and call him "FULL OF ****!". Out of all of my 30 some odd guitars, I have NEVER seen that done. I think it was poorly repaired and was just saying that for some other reason? Personally toothpicks and titebond II would have been how I would have filled the hole, then painted it with nail polish, THEN re-install the screw, but since the plastic piece is there, i just filled it with toothpicks and superglue, then set the screw.

Just wanted to confirm that I wasn't the crazy one here lol. Glad to hear an Actual Gibson rep confirm this for me.

Thanks guys :)

Archived