Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - J45 Standard

Jeff M

Just received this beautiful J45 from MF a few days ago. I'm very impressed with this guitar. I've been a Martin guy mostly and finally convinced myself to come over to the dark side [tongue] The last Gibson I purchased was a Les Paul back in 1988. (wish I kept it)

Check out the bridge on this guitar. I was a little worried about getting a laminate bridge but it's solid and it's really nice. Almost looks like Madagascar rw.

45c.jpg

45a.jpg

45f.jpg

45e.jpg

45g.jpg

45b.jpg

45h.jpg

with my 000-18GE Ambertone

Congrats. I bought my first J-45 a few years ago after being blown away by the tone (I was moments away from buying yet another Martin).

I've bought and sold a lot of nice guitars in the last few years but I'll never trade my J-45. A good one is impossible to beat.

Enjoyed your Townes cover by the way.

Smile machine ! Love the wholesome J45 ! Nice burst on this one.

I agree. I tried some TV's but the standard just seemed like the right fit for me.

Congratulations of the new Gibson. You have a nice looking couple there! The j45 is the boy and the Martin is the girl (cute too!). chasAK

The 45 definitely has more balls [thumbup]

Congrats. I bought my first J-45 a few years ago after being blown away by the tone (I was moments away from buying yet another Martin).

I've bought and sold a lot of nice guitars in the last few years but I'll never trade my J-45. A good one is impossible to beat.

Enjoyed your Townes cover by the way.

Cool. Thanks.

Nice guitar.You're gonna love it.

I wonder where your "Laminate Bridge" concern stems from. I've never heard

that Gibson used laminate for their bridges. Certainly not since Bozeman .

There is a long thread on the subject here but I can't find it. I guess they had to resort to using laminate fretboards and bridges after government raid fiasco.

Here's one thread I found

And this one on Ebay is lam.

Congrats on the J45. You now own an extremely nice guitar. I've had mine for almost 18 months now. Never really had one on my mind until about an hour before I bought it. I'd read all the good comments about them on this forum and elsewhere, but had never really been "dying for one." Then I got introduced to one at GC. Cool, ain't they?...Enjoy. [thumbup]

I'm currently debating between a J-45 and a Martin 000-18GE. After playing the two for a while, how would you compare the necks? Which guitar would you say would be better for leads and playing up the neck, for acoustic blues and rock? I've never realized how much bigger the J45 was compared to the 000 until seeing them side by side. My guess is the J45 has a lot more bass and power. I'm leaning towards the J-45 simply because I like the combination of shorter scale length with the more drednaught style body.

The J-45 is many things, but these black nut, Grover tuner Standards seem to have an extra power. As said many times here, mine from '10 is certainly stronger than my good friend's Historic Collection, and inspired by mine, he had to do some mental adjustment to get close to his (also a very nice guitar). Besides he went up to 12.5 - 55.

Mine was fairly restrained (compressed as said on the site) in the beginning and that hindered me in anything but fingerpicking. Now 2 and half year down the road, this have somewhat loosened, but still I wouldn't call the guitar normal on that particular issue.

Wonder how much nitro has evaporated and how much wood have been shaken together – what I know is that I have a better and louder guitar than when we first met.

And that says quite a deal.

Those would be the relatively rare and desirable "Lacey Act" models. [biggrin] Early March 2012 there was quite a bit of head scratching on this forum.

Yeah, you would'a thought the sky was falling around here about that time. Also about that time, the local 5 Star dealer ordered a L00 TV to their specs. When it came in, out went my Blues King to be replaced by that very nice instrument .... it had it all, looks, playability and tone. Much superior to the BK and only about $300 more. It was a couple of weeks before I noticed ... you got it ... the dreaded laminated bridge .... Oh whoa is me! Turns out: in the words of Dale Jr "it don't mean s**t!" It still has wonderful, looks, tone and playability. I don't intend to sell it so there is no value issue. Heck, Dan may be right, although his tounge was squarely in his cheek, it is rare .... I desire it, so it's desireable ... and has a street name "Lacey Act model". btw, a second one hangs on the wall at the 5 Star dealer without the laminated bridge .... they sound very much alike to me. Turns out the sky didn't fall after all.

Oh wow, a zombified turn in the topic, I have 2 of the much coveted 'Lacey Act' models, I use these to gig with seeing as they're worthless :D :D

More seriously, the Lacey Act while a painful episode for Gibson brings up two notions, people still expect the highest from Gibson, people in general do not equate laminated parts with the highest calibre when the model is not "normally" constructed in that manner. Like it or loathe it, it's seen as a slight step down.

Do I think they sound lesser? No.. Do I think both are great guitars? Yes I do, should probably age very well too. Do I regret buying them? No, although technically I only bought the J-50, the J-45 was a replacement for a Woody G model. They both appeal to me greatly and trying to be objective about it I would say they're very very decent guitars if they belonged to someone else but I can see the finger pointers and naysayers fundamental points here. The compromise of the design was secondary to keeping units pumping out. It's only natural in such a picky, spec details obsessed field of interest for people to notice that. They'll have to man-up and deal with the fact that some people will feel fleeced by such a detail shifts and that some of the brands bashers will have a field day with it. It is what it is...

All things being equal, would any Laminate owners out there choose a laminate bridge over a solid piece? Has anyone subsequently placed a custom order for a Lacey style bridge? Doesn't feel unreasonable to say in this case I doubt it...

Archived