Gibson Brands Forums

For Beatle fans...

daveinspain

Thanks for the view of that. It's always interesting to see the camera work and what they thought was an important shot of the even. You know, a full frame head shot of just one guy from below. Good thing Brian E. must have had them trim their nose hair all the time! [biggrin]

Still my favorite group and I doubt that will change. I know it's the Gibby forum, but those dang Ric's were sure sounding fine to me anyway. Nothing like them & I have to say, I JUST LOVE THEM.

Some of the only music (old early 60's rock that is) that doesn't make me thing that the end of the world ain't that bad a deal. Much of the other stuff, esp. the newer music must be music to slit your wrists and bleed out. Too depressing for me.

Thanks again!! You know, John was about the only one of them that could sing on key w/o all the clinkers. Sir Paul might have been the worst. Ringo was difficult to ever get a song cut I know, but Paul sure sang a lot of sour notes often in the live stuff!! [flapper]

Aster

You know, John was about the only one of them that could sing on key w/o all the clinkers. Sir Paul might have been the worst. Ringo was difficult to ever get a song cut I know, but Paul sure sang a lot of sour notes often in the live stuff!! [flapper]

Aster

No vocal monitors back then. Amazing that they could sing in tune at all.

I'm amazed that they sound as good as they do vocally when you consider there are no monitors. How could they possibly hear themselves...?

My first years in bands we had no monitors. Thats why guys like me squawk about discipline all the time. We had 5 voices!

rct

I seen an article some where a while back by one of the stage engineers at the Shea Stadium show, he said that they ran the vocal microphones through there Vox amp's and miced the amps for the main PA. Wasn't much of a PA, a few Altec Lansing A7 Cab's and a power amp or two and tube mixers, all Altec Lansing gear. Don't know about this show but its likely they used the same technical set-up for it. It's also plausible that they ran signal to the stadium's own PA, can't think of any reason why they wouldn't.[thumbup]

1356202099[/url]' post='1300810']

Thanks for the view of that. It's always interesting to see the camera work and what they thought was an important shot of the even. You know, a full frame head shot of just one guy from below. Good thing Brian E. must have had them trim their nose hair all the time! [biggrin]

Still my favorite group and I doubt that will change. I know it's the Gibby forum, but those dang Ric's were sure sounding fine to me anyway. Nothing like them & I have to say, I JUST LOVE THEM.

Some of the only music (old early 60's rock that is) that doesn't make me thing that the end of the world ain't that bad a deal. Much of the other stuff, esp. the newer music must be music to slit your wrists and bleed out. Too depressing for me.

Thanks again!! You know, John was about the only one of them that could sing on key w/o all the clinkers. Sir Paul might have been the worst. Ringo was difficult to ever get a song cut I know, but Paul sure sang a lot of sour notes often in the live stuff!! [flapper]

Aster

Easy to be critical. The equipment used was very crude by today's standards, there were no monitors, in a room with poor acoustics and performing with amps cranking out high volumes, with all the screaming going on, I would like to see you do as well as Sir Paul. Seems the audience was very happy with what they heard.

Great footage. As for monitors...they bother me to this day. We had no pa system when I started out...we sang through an amp. One amp for everything ...vocals, bass and guitar. It wasn't great, but when you are young and don't know any better..............

When that footage was being shot, I was in 'Nam...small wonder I never heard of it before. Thanks ever so much for sharing. I am a fan and will always be a fan of them and their music. I'm sure many of their songs will never die. Can't say the same for too many others on today's market.

Watch all these singers today with their little earpiece monitors in the ears allowing to hear everything clearly makes me appreciate entertainers from those days even more. Imagine what a difference that technology made for singers. The sound quality of live TV shows from any time before 1990 is always poor, but from before 1970 it was pathetic. Listen to the show posted here and the imbalance of George's amp overpowered Lennon's, maybe it was the mic position maybe it was e poor mix by the guy on the 4 channel mixer.I think the Fab Four did a outstanding job considering the technology we had at the time.

Watch all these singers today with their little earpiece monitors in the ears allowing to hear everything clearly makes me appreciate entertainers from those days even more. Imagine what a difference that technology made for singers. The sound quality of live TV shows from any time before 1990 is always poor, but from before 1970 it was pathetic. Listen to the show posted here and the imbalance of George's amp overpowered Lennon's, maybe it was the mic position maybe it was e poor mix by the guy on the 4 channel mixer.I think the Fab Four did a outstanding job considering the technology we had at the time.

and living in a bubble without barely a moment to call their own. Constant tours, tele appearances, recording (2/3 albums a year + singles not on albums), 2 hit movies. They were worked like dogs but as George Martin said " They always rose to the occasion."

That 7 yr run will never be duplicated. When I was younger I hated that they broke up but now older, I'm glad they got out and had the chance to find themselves.

Genius.

I love them for inspiring me to play music.

I hate them for making it look so easy. (just kidding)

There was, and still is, something "Magical," about that quartet! The music (for sure), but also

the positive "vibe," and impact they had...All over the World!! Which, IMHO, was more than just

being in the "right place, at the right time!" It was truly amazing, and world/life changing, to

many. I may be overstating this, because of my absolute LOVE, of The Beatles...but, I don't think

we (the world) has had that kind of "vibe," and Hope, if you like, since!

Like cookieman, I HATED when they broke up! But, it was best, they did...looking back on it! Their

fame, and "Beatlemania," had definitely taken it's tole, on them. And, they were going their own ways,

as individuals, as well. But, to me...they'll always be, the BEST!

CB

Thanks for posting the excellent Beatles video.

A short version of my Beatles story:

As a kid I was very ill and spent many years at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, Ga for almost the entire 1960's decade. When the Beatles came to town and played at Fulton County stadium in 1964(iirc) an Atlanta PD detective that frequently visited the kids knew how much of a Beatles fan I was. The night of the concert, he came to the Hospital and picked me up. I had no idea where we were going until we entered the underground tunnel into Atlanta Fulton County stadium. We parked and he carried me and my small wheelchair up several stairs until we were field level, almost in front of the stage. I saw the best show of my entire life and will NEVER forget the Beatles concert and the the Atlanta PD Detective that cared enough to make my dream possible.

Now many, many year later, I am now 58 and still remember being 10 years old sitting at stage level and seeing the best show that I have ever seen.

This video brings back many fond memories....

Cat_Man_Curtis

Archived