Gibson Brands Forums

What are the essential acoustic guitars to own

geeterpicker

So, if you're someone who owns multiple acoustic guitars, what do you believe are the ones to be essential to have? Should they all be different sizes? Or maybe different brands? Or do you require different woods? Or do you only take in vintage models? There are those that won't play anything but dreads and those that only go for small guitars.

I personally prefer to have guitars of different makes and of different sizes. The wood factors in, but to a lesser degree. I have a Martin D-28, a Gibson L-00 Pro,a Huss and Dalton CM Custom and a Guild D-40 NT CE. Two RW and two hogs. At one time I owned a Santa Cruz D/PW and ached when I had to sell that one to pay a bill. Someday, I'd like a sunburst hog J-45 as an iconic mate for the D-28. And I'd love to have another Cruz, perhaps their 12 fret D. I believe Collings makes some of the finest OMs out there.

I prefer my guitars on the plain side. I'm not much for a lot pearly, swirly or gawdy looking stuff. I like traditional shaped bridges and not fancy curly ones.

The only size I don't have an itch for is the jumbo size, like the J-200 or the Martin J-40. Not that they aren't great instruments, just that they are too big for me. I also have no use for 12 strings. Tuning nightmares.

What about you?

You are doing great!

I am not a Taylor kind of guy in general and tend to love how Martins and Gibsons complement each other, so no offense to the Tayor guys. I also think that while Collings and H&Ds are wonderful guitars on their own, whenever I tried them I kept asking myself how they compared to the tones I am always going for - Martins and Gibsons.

If one has the means, I think these would be the essentials:

Martin D-28 (I find the HD-28s too muddy personally.

Martin D-18 (new style)or D-18V, depending on your neck preference.

Gibson J45 (preferably the really lightweight ones - I love my TV.

Martin 00-15.

Martin M-21 or M-38.

I actually love the sound of the new D-18. It is a "rosewoody sounding" hog. It is lush without being muddy. I just was not crazy about the neck.

Going to be different for everybody I would suppose.

I just can't seem to break what guitar would work best for this or that down to a science or formula. I am just as likely to pick up an all-birch mail order catalog guitar as I am a Banner Gibson. It often just comes down to my mood that day. So while I own guitars I really like I just don't see them as essential. I can make a joyful racket with pretty much anything (OK, Taylors would be pushing it). As long as it has a big chunky neck and wide nut I will be as happy as a pig in clover. In the end no matter what I am playing I just sound like me.

Well I,m almost there ...I think..

.J45 hog

SJ200 maple

have a J40M Martin rosewood but just can't get the slim neck to like my hand

so I am trying to decide on a FVG 43 SJ reissue or a AJ .... I want to put the Trance M in which ever one I decided on and sell the 86 Martin J40.which I bought new trading in my Strat I had since new in 1962!.......... I know who knew.......[crying]

Personal 0.02 here as ever... [biggrin]

IMO acoustic guitar VFM has escalated somewhat in the last 2-3 years... [thumbup]

I have never felt comfortable spending humungous wads on top end acoustics...except perhaps a cosseted classical...

Therefore a quiver of giggable Yamahas, Takamines, Guilds, Ovations etc...

2 12 strings...one being a recent Ovation... [thumbup]

3 cutaway medium bodied 6 strings

1 Eastman archtop

NB...after decades of hassle, many 12 strings now have onboard tuners...so useful... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

For me, Guitars.....are like golf clubs. A different club is required for many situations. You wouldn't try to putt with a sand wedge, for example. You don't go to a jam session with a parlor guitar, and try to be heard over 10 dreadnoughts and two banjos. A guitar with a pickup is needed for open mics, etc. My friend only collects Dreadnaughts, it's like having a golf bag full of drivers??? But to each his own. You can ask some guys, what's your favorite guitar, and they will answer, "The next one!", Sigh....so many guitars, so little money....

Essential acoustic guitars..nice question.

Depends on your playing style but in that, best of type is just as essential.

A D28 today which Martin has passed off as the "standard of the industry" has about as much relation to an original one, as those inflatable dolls that they used to advertize in dirty magazines, do to a woman.

For voice accompaniment and strumming I dont think anything is as nice as a well broken in good

*maple Gibson J200.

For a virtuoso type of dude.. :

*A Lowden Guitar.

*Huss & Dalton Braz version of old Martin D or Gibson Slope..unless you can find and afford a good old one.

*Gibson L5(CES type) Id add for playing at home..they play great & are guitar making art. It has pickups, but in 9 years I have plugged mine in only once.

This doesnt apply to plugging an acoustic guitar in,then its not an acoustic guitar anymore.. and it seems in that application,a $3500 Taylor sounds about the same as a $600 Guild..at least it did this past weekend when

friends came over and plugged those damn things in to a Bose PA tower.

So I, accordingly,to avoid being drowned out and show em whos boss(just joking )I put Huss & Dalton away and pulled out a Tweed Bassman & Gibson Les Paul 59. : )

The essentials for me are the ones I already have:

A D-28 and a Hummingbird ("the only acoustic you'll ever need" according to Keith)

A Firebird would be the next in line [thumbup]

But as OneWillyFool pointed out one wouldn't want to have a golf bag full of drivers (but could it be a bag full of putters?)

So...

I'd add a J-45, a Martin 000, a Ramirez Classical and a D12-28. [biggrin]

Wish I could post some images but everytime I try I get the message:

"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board."

Tried copying links from websites, tried Photobucket and nothing works. Damm...

I played a Collings dread recently a d1 that my friends is a killer guitar! Very throaty great tone hardly have to touch it.

That being said I'm down to three guitars now

A J35 a j45 and j100xtra these are all keepers. I've sold a couple and I plan on experimenting with some boutique builders. Kopp Santa Cruz walker and Collings. I prefer slopes and they all make them. As I typed this I wasn't sure where I was going with it haha but ill post anyway

I'll simplify and go generic: rosewood (Brazilian, if possible) and mahogany. A couple big guitars (dreads or slopes) and a couple smaller ones (0, 00 and/or 000) in each wood. Some Martins and some Gibsons. Thank you, I'm done. Ce

As well, don't forget a nice resonator for slide and standard playing!!!!!

I have a metal Dobro with a Biscuit bridge like a National - tone and a half!

BluesKing777.

EDIT.

Sorry JT, I forgot you had the National above....even though it is hiding with her back turned between a couple of more sophisticated ladies....

I'm kinda like the last poster. Used to have about 6 good Flattops, sometimes more. About 10 years ago I decided my preference is really to just have one good one. My main flattop since then has been an AJRI. Still have two vintage Gibsons but may jettison one of 'em. I like to get to know all the nuances of one guitar. I find a good one will cover performing & recording just fine & I can change dynamics with my attack etc.

Been heading the same way with Fenders.

Brian, as I age the size is paramount. O and 00 are my forte. A sitka/ hog...adi/rosewood/ sitka/bubinga and I'm set. But GAS has a way of grabbing my attention>like that L-00 PRO you just picked up. Been wanting one for a while now. Maybe another Gibson is waiting for me...or Martin, Eastman, .....J.D.

For me, my list of essential acoustics always begins with my 93 J-100xtra. It was the first good guitar I bought and was the only one I had for several years. It's by far not my "best" guitar. But it's like an old friend. Don't get me wrong, it's a very fine guitar all around, but I have "better" guitars. Even so, I'd never part with it.

A good question - Wily's golfclub metaphor hits a nail.

I would break it down to styles and songs I play. Compared to that, shapes, body sizes and woods come in second.

If I'm into oldies blues stuff one guitar must be earmarked for that – same with first70's folk, acoustic grunge whatever.

In fact it could be exiting to see which results the needs would show. One maple – an archtop – a Guild – a Super Jumbo, ahaaa. . . .

F.x. I have concluded that Martin 00-18's and others in that vein isn't where I belong. Simply don't do material which get served right by those boxes – due to my touch and technique, and not because they are lesser guitars (needless to say).

F.x. I have concluded that Martin 00-18's and others in that vein isn't where I belong. Simply don't do material which get served right by those boxes – due to my touch and technique, and not because they are lesser guitars (needless to say).

Now there's some good words of wisdom from an experienced hand.

A good question - Wily's golfclub metaphor hits a nail.

I would break it down to styles and songs I play. Compared to that, shapes, body sizes and woods come in second.

If I'm into oldies blues stuff one guitar must be earmarked for that – same with first70's folk, acoustic grunge whatever.

In fact it could be exiting to see which results the needs would show. One maple – an archtop – a Guild – a Super Jumbo, ahaaa. . . .

Exactly, Em7 and WOF (HeeeHeeee WilyOldFool)!

Some would say: "The Right Tool For The Job".

For my finger style blues, the Martin Em7 mentions (00-18) is fabulous and only bettered by my LG-3 or Blues King, depending on the tune. But for Em7, well no good for his styles.

And now one of my pet peeves, when I read a thread when it is stated that a ladder-braced LG1 is useless and get an LG2 instead. Well, again - right tool for the job.....

For slide and open tuning blues, my 52 Gibson LG1 is fabulous - here is a track I did a couple of years back:

http://www.soundclic...songID=11288917

Now if I do the same tune on my metal Dobro the party is over - it is an incredible resonator sound perfect for this song, but if I was playing live I could NOT play the Dobro tunes first in the list - TOO HARD, TOO MUCH TONE to follow with delicate picking on a quiet LG1, unless it is electrified!

So

If we like strumming country and pop hard with a pick, the LG1 is not gonna make it.

But if we want to play ladder-braced guitar blues and slide, the LG1 is a lot cheaper that an original ladder-braced Stella.....

BluesKing777.

Archived