Gibson Brands Forums

Would this bother you?

gearbasher

Ok, I know I'm anal. And if you want to dump on me for writing this, go ahead. I can take a good reaming and I don't mind being the butt of a good joke. I'm trying to stay cheeky about it, but it does bum me out. It has to do with the tail end of my 1999 J45RW. I bought the instrument new and when I first got it, I noticed it did not have a tail piece inlay. I always thought this was the sign of a lower end instrument. It did bother me a bit, but I figured that's how they made them. Here's a photo of mine:

av4mdg.jpg

Then, while browsing ebay, I noticed someone selling another '99 J45RW and his has a tail piece inlay. Here is the complete link: http://cgi.ebay.com/1999-Gibson-J-45-Rosewood-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-OHSC_W0QQitemZ110323705861QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33025QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And here is a photo of his:

15waqet.jpg

I just want to know. Did they change production methods during the year? Did they just forget to inlay the piece on mine? Or, as an old girlfriend once stated, am I just wired different? Not to be a total sphincter, but it does bother me. I think it looks better with the inlay. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

btw: This is how anal I am. It always bothered me that the strap button/tail end jack was nickel when the rest of the hardware was gold. I was going to have the button gold plated, but I found out Elderly sells gold replacement ones for $9. So now I can replace it.

OK.....no wise 'cracks' about this thread. On the 'hole' it is a good question. So if you want to make a 'plug' for gearbasher, go right ahead. There's no 'butts' about it. Every once in a while this question 'rears' it's ugly head, 'butt' we need to 'assk' it. Some guys just like to have their tailpieces inlaid.

Well to me the stripe looks good, but some may think it is a "skid mark"..... but I like it. I must be kind of "anal" also "***" I thought it should have "one split by the hole" too..... without it, it looks kind of "butt" ugly... just one small "crack" down the "backside".....

I wouldn't call your guitar "lower end", however.... It's nowhere near the "Bottom" of the barrel so to speak! I know that "I'd love a "crack" at playing it.

I have two 93 J-45, made within 3 months of each other. One has the plastic strip, the other dosnt. Explaination ? who knows.

May be one was made on Monday morning and the other on Friday afternoon!

Looks like onewilyfool beat me with a one sentence explanation, but here's my long-winded response anyway.

I'm surprised no one has explained why any guitar has "binding" in the first place, for it doesn't bind anything. Don't be fooled into thinking a little strip of mother-of-plastic actually holds anything together, it's sole design function is to HIDE things, the fact that we've all been brainwashed into thinking it looks pretty is just what guitar makers wanted.

The binding around the top of an acoustic guitar HIDES the glue joint between the top sides and purfling. The binding around the top of an LP HIDES the glue joint between the maple cap and the mahogany body. The binding on a neck HIDES the joint between the fingerboard and the neck, etc. It serves no structural purpose, and the aestectics was only an afterthought. Think of binding a spackling, it's used to fill holes and gaps.

To build this guitar without the binding strip at the tailblock area took much more time, effort and skill (and luck) than to build the one with the plastic strip filling the gap, binding can hide a lot. I'd bet that even the ones that have binding in this area are different from one another.

Looks like onewilyfool beat me with a one sentence explanation' date=' but here's my long-winded response anyway.

I'm surprised no one has explained why any guitar has "binding" in the first place, for it doesn't bind anything. Don't be fooled into thinking a little strip of mother-of-plastic actually holds anything together, it's sole design function is to HIDE things, the fact that we've all been brainwashed into thinking it looks pretty is just what guitar makers wanted.

The binding around the top of an acoustic guitar HIDES the glue joint between the top sides and purfling. The binding around the top of an LP HIDES the glue joint between the maple cap and the mahogany body. The binding on a neck HIDES the joint between the fingerboard and the neck, etc. It serves no structural purpose, and the aestectics was only an afterthought. Think of binding a spackling, it's used to fill holes and gaps.

To build this guitar without the binding strip at the tailblock area took much more time, effort and skill (and luck) than to build the one with the plastic strip filling the gap, binding can hide a lot. I'd bet that even the ones that have binding in this area are different from one another.

[/quote']

I have to disagree with you about the purpose of binding. Here is a quote from Wikipedia: The bindings primary importance is to prevent moisture seeping into the endgrain and causing checking, or small splits in the end of the wood, caused by changes in humidity. I know Wikipedia is not an authority on any issue, but I've heard this other places and their quote says it the best.

Lower end models have no binding around the fingerboards or tops (ex. LP Studio) and those joints are perfect.

Archived