Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on New Guitar

cabba2203

Ok, last year I got the 2012 LP Trad Plus in Honey Burst - love it. This year, I was going to pick up a new Alpine White Rev. Firebird but I see the new 2013 LP Trads are coming out without any weight relief and I would like to have a full weight LP and get it in either Carmel or Light Burst (most likely Light Burst because some shots of the Carmel look too close to the Honey which I already have).

I am torn. I have trouble sleeping over which one and "buy both" is not an option. HELP!

Guest Farnsbarns

Well, each person can only say what they think they would do which actually has no bearing on what you should do.

Just bare in mind that the new trad could perfectly easily be lighter than the old one. There is no specific difference to weight, sound or feel. If you are happy buying another identical guitar (albeit in another finish) then that's perfectly valid.

Personally I'm not a fan of Firebirds although that is only based on looks, never played one, a 30 second play on one could change my mind entirely. Because I wouldn't by 2 identical guitars, or a firebird, I can offer you no guidance other than being aware that weight relief really makes no difference until you x-ray it.

I have trouble sleeping over which one and "buy both" is not an option. HELP!

Oh the humanity!

If a firebird is calling your name, heed the call, since you already have a dandy LP.

I sort of don't get the issue re: weight relief.. but that's jess me..

Just bare in mind that the new trad could perfectly easily be lighter than the old one. There is no specific difference to weight, sound or feel.

Hmmm...I did not think this would be a factor as I was only thinking solid back would be heavier than the cheese hole weight relief of my 2012 Trad. So, yes, the solid billet could end up being lighter or identical in weight, no guaranty of heavier weight.

I don't like Firebirds so I'd go for the Les Paul. Live with the new LP for a while, see which one you like the best and sell the other if you don't want to keep two Les Pauls... Then get the Firebird or what ever turns you on at the moment...

This could be an option....This may be my light at the end of the tunnel.

I rarely see people playing firebirds these days, everyone just goes straight for the LP. They really are great, simple guitars.

Well, I have never played my LP live. Live I'm a Flying-V, SG, Explorer guy, so essentially from a playing live perspective, I would play the Firebird live as well as recording and around the house. Since I got the 2012 LP Trad, it's all I play at home - I love it, but I'm just not a live LP playing guy. I guess I'm tarded like that. LOL!

Firebird.

[smile] This would be the most logical choice for me. Rev Firebird....alpine white......man, I am leaning towards it.

Especially after the reality bomb Farnsbarns brought up, the whole reason for buying the Trad was believing it to be heavier.

I have always been a sucker for Firebirds so my opinion is more than a little biased,but to be quite honest every Firebird that I've ever heard was a great sounding guitar-especially the Firebird VIIs with the Mini hums.

Archived