Gibson Brands Forums

NGD!

btoth76

Hello! At half past ten, I've met the seller in my favorite guitar shop...

Opened up the case - time warp...back in 1978. The luthier of the shop collapsed. I am happy as a 2 year old child (that's how old I was when She was made). Named Her "Brigitta".

IMG_2581_zps0453a6dd.jpg

IMG_2579_zps7846a68b.jpg

IMG_2571_zps17e41bad.jpg

Thank You, All!

It's in fantastic condition! There is some checking of the laquer in the cutaway, not bad at all. Otherwise mint. No buckle rash, no scratches/dings. Really low, "Fretless Wonder"-like fingerboard with original frets (nibs still on). Feels great!

The seller rarely used it, also has couple of other Norlins.

Plays great, weighs a ton - above 4 kilos. Tone-wise, I didn't had the chance yet to explore all the tonal variations of the instrument, just a couple of settings at the shop. It can sound like a Strat, or like any other LP. Very interesting one. Can't wait until I get home and put Her to a real test.

The seller was the first owner, has the original bill at home (lives in Frankfurt, going to send it via post).

Cheers... Bence

Hi Bence,

Congrats - it looks great!!

It's a late model version II, bound back and front, Hi and Lo Output Jacks, pickup selector in the more usual LP position.

It also looks like it is the more traditional LP size (smaller than the Version I - ??) but still has the Volute.

Stunning condition - it looks like it has never been played!!

Here's mine ('72 - I had it from new) as a comparison:

lprbody.jpg

lprhead.jpg

DG

Hello Friends! Thank You so much for the kind comments!

We've spent the "honeymoon" with Her. :) Now I could test it on my own rig. It's such a versatile instrument! It can sound just like an acoustic guitar, clean and natural! Then I can get the kind of tones my Classic Custom has. It has no noise at high gains at all! And there are so many other tones still left to explore... It's a real "desert island" guitar. Plays, feels great. I like the fretboard so much, the volute is a beautyful touch. The neck profile goes from thin right after the volute and gets thicker towards the joint.

I didn't planned to purchase a guitar this year (for real), but I am sure if I had skipped this one, I would have regreted it in all my life. I know it's too early to say this - while still in shock -, but I feel She's going to be the No.1.

Haha! I just can't forget the moment when the Seller left. With the luthier and other employees of the shop we were just standing over the opened case, looking at the guitar for long minutes. We could only say words like: "yes", "aham", "hmmm". It was like couple of archeologists just found something historically important.

@DaveG: Thank You again, for supporting with information on this model! Your guitar is a beauty too! Version II - I have - has the same sized body as any recent LP - fits right into the case of my CC.

Thank You to all of You, once more! Cheers... Bence

Hi Bence,

This is the way I saw it some years ago. Try this:

The following descriptions are applicable ONLY when using a suitable lead with the impedance transformer at the amplifier end. The effects produced are drastically reduced when the internal transformer in the (Recording model) is used.

A description of what each of the controls does:

Volume controls the volume of whatever combination of pickups is chosen by the Pickup Selector and Tone Switch. Most Gibsons utilise a seperate Volume control for EACH pickup.

Treble is a treble cut control and reduces the treble frequencies gradually from 10 down to zero. The effect of the Low Impedance circuitry is such that this control works evenly throughout the whole of the range 0 to 10. (The Gibson circuit diagrams indicate that the treble control capacitor values changed between the Personal and the Recording and back again to the original in the Recording second version).

Bass reduces the amount of Bass gradually from 10 down to zero.

The effect of setting both Treble and Bass to zero gives an almost acoustic sound at certain settings of the Decade Control.

From the Gibson description: Interesting tonal blends can be acheived when using treble and bass controls simultaneously. You can preset the desired amount of treble and increase (decrease) bass without affecting treble frequencies. The same goes for presetting the desired amount of bass. You will not affect the bass frequencies if you add (subtract) treble. (Treble and bass controls may be used with the tone selector, phase and toggle switch (pickup selector).

The Decade control, although it's name suggests 10 different tones, shapes the sound in only 3 noticeable steps on all instruments I have tried. Settings 1-3 give an almost acoustic sound when used with the neck pickup and setting and settings 8-10 give a sound more like a Gibson humbucker. Settings 4-7 give a sound somewhere in between.

From the Gibson description: The 11 position decade control "tunes" or alters the treble harmonics. Position 0 will peak the highest frequency and graduates accordingly down the spectrum in steps through position 10. This control is most effective when the tone selector is in position 2 and the bass response has been reduced. You will experience innumerous tonalities when used with the phase, treble and pickup selector toggle switch.

The Pickup Selector functions as a normal either/both selector

The Tone Switch is probably the most baffling to the many people who I have spoken to about these guitars. It is a fairly simple and effective way of getting 3 different preset sounds out of the instrument and works this way:

Setting 2 (Middle) allows full use of all controls - Treble, Bass, Decade and Pickup Selector (and Phase Switch with both pickups selected)

Setting 3 (Up) bypasses Treble and Bass and allows control of just the Decade and Volume Controls

Setting 1 (Down) - When either the Neck or Bridge Pickup are selected this setting gives BOTH pickups with Treble and Bass bypassed and Decade and Volume active. Because of some additional capacitors and resistors in this setting the tone of the both pickups is different to the tone of both pickups selected in the Middle Setting (2)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To simplify all of the above here is an often used scenario:

Set the guitar controls as follows,

Pickup Selector Neck Pickup

Treble 5-7

Bass 5-7

Decade 3

Phase Out

With the Tone Switch on 1 or 3 set the tone controls of your amplifier to achieve your desired solo sound.

By operating the Tone Switch you now have four distinctly different sounds - a rhythm sound on position 2; neck pickup solo sound on position 1 of the Tone Switch; both pickups together on position 3 of the Tone Switch. If the pickup selector is moved to the "Both" position in Tone Switch Position 1 you have the (fourth) Out of Phase Sound.

Great info! Thanks! Actually I was wondering what the three-position "Tone" switch does. [thumbup] That's very exciting! I'll get one of these external transformers with a cable as soon as possible (when salary arrives :D) to explore all the possibilities with the guitar!

Cheers... Bence

Sweeeeeet Guitar!! Congrats!!! A friend of mine has the same guitar, right down to the color.............

JohnsLPR_zpse5357889.jpg

Mine is like Daves, but a 1973. I started out with the bass, (which I play more often) & bought the matching guitar.

PairC.jpg

Then had to get the first version............

PairB.jpg

The guy I bought the 1970 Bass from sold my friend his '78 LPR on the same day.

I'm sure you will enjoy & cherish yours for years to come.

Archived