Gibson Brands Forums

How would you change Les Pauls and SGs?

kevoz

Hi all,

What improvements would you like to see in Les Pauls and SGs in the future? Would changes to these guitars as we know them now be sacrilege? How far can these guitars be improved before they lose their integrity or character?

I would like to see the following for standard USA models (please feel free to comment):

- Interchangeable pickups (click in/click out) - where you can have any configuration of pickups your imagination desires in a matter of minutes. Can this be done?

- Either do away with input jacks (guitar lead socket) altogether (e.g. with inexpensive Amp-Guitar transmitter/receiver)or have either two separate input jacks or a universal jack which can be moved to front or down position.

I just have a pet hate of lead plugs getting in the way - I play standing and sitting.

- Locking tuners standard (I dont know what this Min-E Tune is about - can't seem to get much on it here, maybe this might alleviate the need for locking tuners)

- Strap locks standard

Regards

Kevoz

Yeah they made a LP with swappable pickups called the Push Tone (someone on here has one, cant remember who now)

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/divisions/gibson%20usa/products/gotm/lespaulpush-tone/

I would like it if they would allow the public to design their own models at a good price... So you could have a guitar builder web site and make whatever you want.. That would be cool..

like this but a Gibson version

http://www.frankmontag.com/

Also some Epis have a built in tuner in the top of the pickup ring.. I think thats a nice feature...

Only one improvement suggestion from me...............to be more faithful representations ot the '50s and '60s originals.

I'm not quite with you, Alan.

Surely the re-issues are pretty near representations of those instruments? Braz rosewood is out, of course, but otherwise how are they really any different from the originals?

:-k

P.

Changes??? In what, design, build, features??? Most people who want any real change,

from the guitars, now...just "mod" them, themselves. Why would Gibson, or any other

company want to change a time tested, and loved, design(s)...even if it isn't "perfect,"

for everyone's "ideal?" That sounds like a real "Tail Chase," to me. Just leave them

alone, and/or "Mod" them, to one's own personal needs.

Otherwise, buy a different guitar, OR...make your own! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

@Axe,,

Wow,, What guitars are those? Please explain to this layman.

Is that seriously the difference in quality control that leaks through?

Same models?

A chimp could make a better cold solder joint..

Wow,, I"m glad that's not mine.

Stick with hardwire soldering instead of the printed boards. I know some of you will say there is not any difference, well there is between mine which is stock hard wired in and my friends printed board. Both are SG standards with the same pick up configuration and mine has a thicker tone and his has a thinner tone played through the same amp with same settings. I would like to see some more fret board MOP inlay choices and a few more natual wood grain finishes on SG's. Les Pauls have a wider varity or finishes for that model. I guess I would like to see the same options for the SG. For years all you got to choose from was heritage cherry or heritage cherry!! I guess that is about all I would ask for not that Gibson would pay any attention to what we have to say here, Tim

Holy smokes AXE® I'm surprised it didn't go up in smoke when you turned it on! Tomorrow I'm going to check out my wiring now.

Little changes can make a big difference. For example, I'm at 100% success rate in my blind test between the sound of my chambered Les Paul and the sound of my weight relieved one. Bottom line is that they have a ton variety already. Chances are that any change you suggest has already been done.

Hello!

The only refinement I would like to see is a better structured product range. Model variations often hard to follow. Also the product descriptions on Gibson's site should be more accurate.

Cheers... Bence

P.S.: I agree with AXE: PIOs (real ones, not fakes at insane price).

I think some issues have been addressed with the Axcess model. But why can't the Traditional have the sculpted back and sculpted cutout for upper fret access? It would make it different from the Standard then. I think tuning issues need to be addressed too.

Perhaps choice of nut needs changing. It amazes me the amount of guitars I see that the strings barely sit in a groove.

I think the comment about a sculpted top (Strat?) would be interesting as I also find it irritates my arm rubbing against the edge.

The most important change Gibson could make would be to match the color of the knobs to either the pup rings or the hardware. Gold hats on *everything* is just wrong!

I do like the idea of moderate body contours ...

AXE, are you sure that was from the factory? Looks more like you downed a bottle of whiskey and went at her. [biggrin]

Timmeh I was having the grounding issue so I opened it up and to my visual horror I saw that mess.msp_scared.gif

But oddly enough it still sounded great. Now after a the MSSC upgrade it's much nicer. Not so much sound wise but usability.

Guest Farnsbarns

Actually Axe makes a very good point. Some of Gibson's soldering/wiring looks like... Well, I know what Prince Philip would say but I won't. Let's just say it's pretty poor.

Gibson, up your soldering/wiring standards!

Okay... I'm not an LP fan so...

The SG? I know I sound like a broken record on this one, but I'm convinced that a master volume would not be a bad deal on the 2-pup, four dial setup on most Gibson-style and/or HB-equipped guitars. I have a hunch some who really want tube amps and use the dials to drive them differently wouldn't care that much for it, though.

m

I'd like Gibson to make factory fitted midi options for the Les Paul and SG. I doubt they ever will - it just seems most guitar players are just not interested in midi.

Archived