Gibson Brands Forums

That wonderful LP smell

Gibsy

That seems to be the smell of the nitro finish. All of my Gibsons have it, and the worn/satin/vintage gloss ones even more intense. It's a bit like vanilla flavour.

Interestingly the Fender cases made by G&G have a smell very close to Gibson's. Perhaps it's the glue used for the linings.

I've always thought it was more the smell of the polish, they use. Meguiar's Polish has a very similar scent.

But, it's probably the combination, of Nitro and Polish. It's not limited to Les Paul's...all Gibson models,

seem to have a similar scent, when new. And, one the poly finished Epiphones don't have.

And, yes, it is kind of a vanilla/almond scent.

CB

I don't think its the nitro.. Ive used it.. When its wet its stinks to high heaven.. Proper toxic...

And then when its dry it doesn't smell of anything... Of course Gibson could use a different formula than the stuff ive used..

I seem to remember people on here saying its the glue thats used to glue the lining to the case that smells like that but it could well be the polish they use...

Donno.

The smell of my 339 and my LP are different.

It is definitely a deliberately designed scent, not a serendipitous side effect.

The 339 smells of vanilla. The LP is spicier. They are both really nice. I'll bet that those responsible would love to know this discussion is going on.

I used to work for TKL's Cedar Creek Custom Case Shoppe here in Oilville,VA. We used to add scents into the adhesive to lower the foul smell of the glue. And yes vanilla was among the scents. If you've ever worked with nitrocellulose you will instantly know it is not a pleasant smell.And they wipe off all polish at the factory so that smell will not linger.

If I get it right, the Gibson nitro finish absorbs some of the flavours added to the case glue. Although the Fender cases made by G&G smell rather intensely, their poly finishes stay indeed odourless.

If it was about the cases only, Gibson guitars coming with a gigbag wouldn't have that scent. Perhaps some owners of Gibsons with gigbags will chime in here and help clearing things up.

Cap is right, my LPJ came with gigbag, funky smell yes but not sweet definatelly not vanilla.

Bought a Gibson case, smelled vanilla out of the box.

After the LPJ rested over night in her new case she also startet to smell sweet, less funky and more vanilla.

Funky = lightly cat pee-ish.

Cap is right, my LPJ came with gigbag, funky smell yes but not sweet definatelly not vanilla.

Bought a Gibson case, smelled vanilla out of the box.

After the LPJ rested over night in her new case she also startet to smell sweet, less funky and more vanilla.

Funky = lightly cat pee-ish.

'Funky' is more traditional scent marking then ;)

I absolutely love the new smell lol. My 2016 Studio Faded just smells like heaven. It stays on my hands afterwards too lol. I'll just rub it on my neck and say it's Les Paul cologne. They should market it haha.

After playing them for a while, I put my 1973 L6-S and my 2011 L6S back into their cases and on the shelf. My hands smell of a blend composed of vanilla/almond flavour from the 2011 and incense from the 1973 that spent decades in the sacristy of a Catholic church in England. [biggrin]

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm sure it's the cases. I noticed the gig bag equipped guitars didn't have it a number of years ago.

Cyanide and similar toxins often gas from glues and that is often said to smell like almond or vanilla. I've always thought it was the glue but who knows?

I absolutely love the new smell lol. My 2016 Studio Faded just smells like heaven. It stays on my hands afterwards too lol. I'll just rub it on my neck and say it's Les Paul cologne. They should market it haha.

Your 2016 Studio Faded came with a gigbag, correct? If it smells like vanilla then the case/glue theory is on pretty shaky ground.

Your 2016 Studio Faded came with a gigbag, correct? If it smells like vanilla then the case/glue theory is on pretty shaky ground.

Well unless its a Faded HP which comes with a High-Performance Gig Bag which I bet has fluffy lining which they probably use the same glue for? Or maybe he just bought a hardcase for it?

That is a huge guess though :)

Archived