Gibson Brands Forums

The Traditional Club

Big Bill

• 1 month later...

My first LP

Been a Tele Player for 45 years.

Bought a Derick Trucks SG last week and I think something clicked.

2014 Les Paul Traditional today.

My wife is still letting me in the house so I guess I'm safe for now.

IMG_0242_zps33b5c9fe.jpg

Now that IS what I am talking about! She's a beauty!

Just took this out of the box the day before yesterday ... it's been a wonderful Honeymoon so far! Here are the Sweetwater pics as well as a couple of lousy ones of my own when I could force myself to stop playing ...

A 2014 Les Paul Traditional Goldtop w/P90's and a Bigsby:

104840301-angle-large_zpsd5148aca.jpg

104840301-front-large_zpse2bca98d.jpg

104840301-body-large_zpscfcbfb8a.jpg

IMG_0022_zps0b1ff5e2.jpg

IMG_0021_zps57cbceba.jpg

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I took the LP plunge.... I didn't need a new guitar but I just couldn't resist. We all know how that goes, huh? [rolleyes] It's my first "real" Les Paul (sort of). I have a 2010 wine red Trad Pro but it's got the push pull pots... I love it but have always wanted a flame top burst of some sort. I traded a strat for the Trad Pro and it wouldn't have been my first choice but it wet my whistle for Les Pauls. I also have a 2010 LP Special with p90s but that's a different beast altogether. The new one is a 2013 LP Traditional with the new honey burst finish and natural brown back... and she's a looker! I couldn't decide between the light burst or this finish, but this one crossed my way and I decided to go for it. I just got done playing for a few hours and it plays and sounds stellar... not too heavy, lighter than my Trad Pro I think but I haven't jumped on a scale with either of them. Still I'd guess under 10 pounds.

I first started looking a few years ago and missed the boat on the 2013 closeouts... then last year with the anniversary banner I though "oh, next year," then this year with the weird (IMO) Les Paul 100 signature, goofy auto tuners, and the big 'ol price jump. I thought a used one would be the best way to go as far as classic looks, features, and affordability. The only changes I have planned for her are some strap locks, gold top hats, and a plain black historic truss rod cover (and I took the pickguard off, it's a shame to cover that gorgeous top!) The big 'ol neck feels AWESOME... I'm a huge fan of big necks and this one is pretty meaty. All in all, it's a pretty darn sweet axe and I'm looking forward to having her for a long time! Now, back to playing, but I had to share [biggrin]

lp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Jamguy she is a beauty! 2013's is what bit me but couldn't find one with top I liked once I was ready to buy one. 2014's came out and I took the plunge. Although the 12th fret inlay doesn't bother me or look bad in my opinion, I will say that 2015 headstock is hideous at best. Again, Congrats on a fine Lester you have there![thumbup]

Classy looker [thumbup] It's nice to see some non-burst LPs. I wonder Gibson has never made more white LP Standards? I think they'd look really sharp with the gold hardware but even with chrome hardware they'd look pretty nice. I have no idea about the hows and whys of their R&D and there are enough threads bashing the new line-up of 2015s so I'll let it go. They're still in business so clearly they must be doing OK without my 2 cents.

Classy looker [thumbup] It's nice to see some non-burst LPs. I wonder Gibson has never made more white LP Standards? I think they'd look really sharp with the gold hardware but even with chrome hardware they'd look pretty nice. I have no idea about the hows and whys of their R&D and there are enough threads bashing the new line-up of 2015s so I'll let it go. They're still in business so clearly they must be doing OK without my 2 cents.

I traded this rocker chick my 2009 SG for her 2012 Les Paul! The Les Paul 500.00 more originally:) I think I made out pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Haven't posted on here for a while, but I got this beastie a couple of days ago. Not managed to take decent pics, but this almost does it (the wife's old camera).

I was looking at another telecaster, I'd ruled out a new SG earlier because I can't cope with the idea of the auto-tune and funny nut business. I decided against the tele and we were on our way home. We got talking about this wine red Les Paul that had been hiding in the corner (the shop's a Fender and Gretsch dealer, rarely has Gibsons in).

We went back to have a little look, and came away with it.

It's a 2012 Traditional - the shop had only had it for a week or so, it had come as part of a deal with their supplier. I assume it's been sat in some store room for a year or so (it was made March 2012) - still has that gorgeous vanilla/chocolate "new gibson" smell.

All I've done so far is oil the fretboard and set the thing up for my playing...

Cosmetically I'm expecting to replace the speed knobs with top-hats. Electronics I'm going to leave as they are for the moment - I have a birthday in March, though, and I can see me asking for some Bare Knuckles "Stormy Monday" pickups... but I'm kinda digging the 57s for the moment.

post-15881-074676900 1420397085_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I came across this wonderful thread when it re-appeared on the most recent section of the forum. Aside from giving me some sear GAS flare-up; I noticed that some of my old images were missing from when I first joined, so I thought I'd do some showing off of my own again, seeing as I've got some better images, now.

So...

My 2013 Gibson USA Les Paul Traditional Pro II, in Merlot finish with a '60s neck (that feels almost '50s; it's a fat one...!). Simple modifications include straplocks, a nickel cover on the neck pickup (a nod to Jimmy Page), neck pickup reversed in mount (Peter Green / Gary Moore); and mis-matched control knobs (Peter Green / Gary Moore / Joe Bonamassa). Everything else is stock original.

DSC_0011.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg