Gibson Brands Forums

So where do you guys put your Noise gates?

swleary

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't have one, but I would be curious as to where it should be if I did have one. My guess would be the last pedal before the amp.

right before modulation, is the rule I followed....But I sold my ISP Decimatior about a year ago..

I'm at a serious crossroads in my life where if I'm not listening to metal (Asphyx, Disembowelment, Autopsy, Obituary, Kreator, Burzum, Bolt Thrower, Death, Slayer, Atheist, Winter, etc.) I'm listening to noisy indie/lo-fi bands (Dinosaur Jr., Pavement, Harry *****, Sonic Youth, Rapeman, Hanatarash, Naked City, Sebadoh, Big Black, Slint, Jesus Lizard etc.)

So, thinking about the former...I would say, if I had a noise gate, right before where I'm getting my distortion from.

I wouldn't need one for the latter.

I would imagine putting a noise gate before any type of distortion would completely ruin the distortion. But I guess you could use it as an effect in that way.

I have one noisey *** pedal. If I'm not playing I just turn it off. When I am playing with it it sounds ultra rad. That's how I like it.

I would imagine putting a noise gate before any type of distortion would completely ruin the distortion. But I guess you could use it as an effect in that way.

I'd say that the main issue with putting a noise gate before distortion units would be that it wouldn't be cutting the noise from the distortion units which is typically the reason people use noise gates to begin with!

The place to put a noise gate is after the effects that generates the noise, so after distortion pedals and other high gain stuff. I guess you can put things like chorus and such before the noise gate, but really, if those pedals add so much noise I'd just suggest you get better ones. The effects you don't want to go before the noise gate are effects like delay and reverb since those will get cut off by the gate as the sound from them decays.

Noise gates are tone sucking, useless, pieces of junk. dry.gif

playing with P-90's(notoriously noisy) this is my chain:

guitar, to NS2, I loop my Distortion and signal pad through the NS2, then run the direct out to FRV1 reverb.

the key is to use the loop, and the NS2 actually adds a little high mid to compensate.

So not ALL noise gates are crap, it's like anything, it's all in how you use it.

playing with P-90's(notoriously noisy) this is my chain:

guitar, to NS2, I loop my Distortion and signal pad through the NS2, then run the direct out to FRV1 reverb.

the key is to use the loop, and the NS2 actually adds a little high mid to compensate.

So not ALL noise gates are crap, it's like anything, it's all in how you use it.

I think this is the only post of merit in this thread so far.

Honestly you may think your guitar sounds cool making all that god awful noise, but what does it sound like to the people you are trying to get to listen to it? The noise of an out of control effects chain or ultra retarded high gain sounds to me like what it would feel like to have a cheese grater pulled across my face. I think noise gates take flack in the amateur world because the tool is too difficult for the operator.

Where you put your noise gate in the chain all depends on what you want to do with it. In a guitar effects chain they generally end up at the end of the chain right before any modulation or time based effects (which ideally should be ran through your effects loops anyways if ya got one and not into the front of the amp) this works; however like this the gate is generally ends up setup for one use, your high gain tone or your clean tone. Problem with this is if you have it setup for your clean tone then the gate will never close and if its setup for your high gain tone then its going to close all messed up on your clean tone sucking away all your sustain. Put your gate right before what you are using for gain and you will get a matched sound for your high gain tone as your clean tone. The ideal way to set your chain up would be as follows:

Guitar---->Dynamics, Filters, Pitch/Frequency effects---->Noise Gate---->Distortion and Sustain effects---->Amp---->Effects Loop Out---->Modulation and Time Based effects---->Effects Loop In---->Ears

Or

Guitar---->EQ---->Comp---->Whammy---->POG2---->Wah-Wah---->Noise Gate---->Overdrive---->Fuzz---->Sustainiac---->Amp---->E-Loop Out--->Delay---->Phaser---->Flanger---->Chorus---->Reverb---->E-Loop In---->Ears

They are common part in every recording studio, mostly because high end gates can pull off a lot of neat tricks, best one to date is the drums on "In The Air Tonight" the gated reverb effect employed using a powerful reverb on the drum signal, then placing a gate infront the reverb signal and using the dry signal of the snare drum in the side chain to make the gate cut the reverb off when the sound input of the snare drum has decayed off below the threshold of the gate instead of letting the reverb decay naturally thus getting you the drum solo that Mike Tyson enjoys ever so much. Using the side chain of a gate to control longer more sustained sounds is a very common production trick.

Now with all that said you do not have to use a gate it does ultimately come down to personal opinion. I know some people out there may take this as an attack on them for using or not using a gate or some other stupid reason well it isnt. I just read a lot of misinformed people saying a product is grabage when it isnt and figured I would speak my piece as a person striving to better there education in sound engineering.

For me, I don't play high gain, and my stuff isn't too off the wall, so it sounds good without it.

IMO, I never got the whole "use p90s, get a gate to cancel out noise" thing, if you don't want noise, don't play p90s.

Music is like giving birth, its messy, but the end product is cool

Didnt know Babies were cool.

Anyways, in realtiy you dont need a noise gate. You can solve it with EQ or just move around a few knobs here and there. You could have one but...eh it takes away tone and who really wants that?

Didnt know Babies were cool.

Anyways, in realtiy you dont need a noise gate. You can solve it with EQ or just move around a few knobs here and there. You could have one but...eh it takes away tone and who really wants that?

I love babies. I think they are pretty awesome. Idk, I have baby sat for some people who have had kids like just over a year, and I have never had any problems

IMO if you're using good dirt pedals (overdrive, distortion, or fuzz) you're not going to want to put a noise gate in front of it unless you're intentionally trying to mess up the way they sound. A lot of dirt pedals (especially fuzz) are sensetive to what they're effecting and a noise gate gives a buffered signal that will mess with your dirt.

Personally I just don't see the point of noise supressors. If you have a noisey pedal, turn it off when you're not playing. If you're pedal is so noisey that you can't take it, there might be a problem somewhere or you should just find a different pedal. If it's your amp, turn down the ******* gain [biggrin]

ne14t? I dig what you're saying but I think you're really exaggerating the whole noise issue in the first place and I think your chain suggestions are a little impractical.

Also, if you really just need the gate on one pedal but dont need it when that pedal is not on, you can put the noisey pedal + the gate in a loop. That way you can switch the noisey pedal and the gate on at the same time with one switch.

Good Advice guys. I found my Keeley a little noisy so I got an MXR noise gate just to quiet it up abit. I find if I just set it right, it don't suck the tone which is why I like using it..

BTW phasers go in the trash can.,,just sayin lol

Archived