Gibson Brands Forums

So where do you guys put your Noise gates?

swleary

Depends on what I am trying to do. and on the ability of the noise gate. If I want the sound to stop dead at a certain frequency then i use the ISP Decimator before the pedal this allows you to get that chugga chugga sound with the pedal cutting the sound to the drive so its literally stops dead. if I am using it on the metal zone and the metal zone I only ever use as a lead boost I use it after the pedal just to kill that crappy hum noise it makes when its just sitting there. With a boss Noise gate (suppression) its not fast enough to use it like the ISP so you could only ever use it (IMO) after the pedal you want to quiet.

I think you work on the rule use it after the pedal that makes the noise you dont want. Dont use it at the end of the chain or all your effects will be affected. I dont use any other effects so its all good for me.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Advice guys. I found my Keeley a little noisy so I got an MXR noise gate just to quiet it up abit. I find if I just set it right, it don't suck the tone which is why I like using it..

BTW phasers go in the trash can.,,just sayin lol

I can forgive what you said about phasers, but, fuzz and a noise suppressor? did you know it's illegal to do that in Hungary, and a taboo in African society?

I can forgive what you said about phasers, but, fuzz and a noise suppressor? did you know it's illegal to do that in Hungary, and a taboo in African society?

lol...Put it after all your dirt swearly and you'll be good to go... [thumbup]

Good Advice guys. I found my Keeley a little noisy so I got an MXR noise gate just to quiet it up abit. I find if I just set it right, it don't suck the tone which is why I like using it..

BTW phasers go in the trash can.,,just sayin lol

Forgive him father, he does not know what he says

Phasers are the ****, don't knock em

I haven't used one in a long time, but when I did use them it was primarily for my single coil equipped guitars. There was also some noise from pedals too but the worst thing to me was the single coils on my strat.

my placement was right before the chorus, flanger and delay/reverb units before I learned about effects loops. After I discovered effect loops, it came immediately after my distortion and EQ right before the amp.

I also found it useful for songs with a lot of choppy rhythm parts that had a lot of empty space between chords. It just seemed to sound tighter when there was dead silence from the guitar.

Eventually I found a set of active EMG single coils in a guitar that cost me $50. The noise gate became less of a necessity once my stat had EMG's because they are dead silent anyway.

sometimes that "SHHHHOOP!" noise from the gate closing made for a cool sounding effect too, but typically I set it to have the threshold just above the hum and noise when I wasn't playing and if I had something where the notes needed to sustain and I wanted to make sure they weren't cut short, I turned of the gate until I was done with that part.

I think this is the only post of merit in this thread so far......

.....I just read a lot of misinformed people saying a product is grabage when it isnt and figured I would speak my piece as a person striving to better their education in sound engineering.

+1msp_thumbup.gif

Silence is golden.

I like being able to stand in front of my rig, or at least reasonably close at shows, and Being that most of the Boston venues I play are small clubs it's nice not to have to listen to low grade 60 cycle hum between tunes.

that and I love the look on peoples faces when I step on the 56 GT RI and it barks.... I have had people say "dude, I didn't think your rig was even on!"

Sound guys appreciate a quiet rig, as do the audience 99% of the time.

We're just kidding around, we don't play anything that high of gain, nor do we use p90's, therefore noise gates don't have a place in our rigs.

we're nor really condoning people who do, it's just in some of the genres of music we play, that noise is a part of a music. that doesn't mean we love our rigs to be super screechy.

Fuzz and it's uses are what we know about, and certainly should never be used with a noise gate,

as for silence being golden that is very true in some situations, but this is an internet forum-a place to openly discuss things outside of religion and politics. I see none of that hear.

God forbid we all have differing opinions.

I apologize if this posts comes across as ******y, or as an attack on someone, this is not. This is me calmly stating my opinion.

...ultra retarded high gain sounds...

[lol][lol][lol] I going to use this. You will be duly credited and receive fair compensation of course.

Where you put your noise gate in the chain all depends on what you want to do with it. In a guitar effects chain...

Guitar---->Dynamics, Filters, Pitch/Frequency effects---->Noise Gate---->Distortion and Sustain effects---->Amp---->Effects Loop Out---->Modulation and Time Based effects---->Effects Loop In---->Ears

Or

Guitar---->EQ---->Comp---->Whammy---->POG2---->Wah-Wah---->Noise Gate---->Overdrive---->Fuzz---->Sustainiac---->Amp---->E-Loop Out--->Delay---->Phaser---->Flanger---->Chorus---->Reverb---->E-Loop In---->Ears

More stuff than I have ever used combined in my whole life. I don't know how you guys do all them boxes.

They are common part in every recording studio, mostly because high end gates can pull off a lot of neat tricks, best one to date is the drums on "In The Air Tonight"...

Phil Collins returned home from another big tour to a home emptied by his soon-to-be ex-wife. He had in his stuff a brand newfangled "drum machine" that someone asked him to dink with and see what he thought, I don't remember the number of it, but it was about to change everything. Put down a demo using it that night, and that demo became Air Tonight. They attempted to recreate what he had done with that drum machine but could not ever do it. The track on the record is the track on the demo, which is straight out the back of that drum machine, which escapes me again. That's how it was 'splained to me!

...the gated reverb effect employed using a powerful reverb on the drum signal, then placing a gate infront the reverb signal and using the dry signal of the snare drum in the side chain to make the gate cut the reverb off when the sound input of the snare drum has decayed off below the threshold of the gate instead of letting the reverb decay naturally thus getting you the drum solo that Mike Tyson enjoys ever so much. Using the side chain of a gate to control longer more sustained sounds is a very common production trick.

It is also the way you put ultra low freekz on stuff. Gate something ON at below 60 maybe, and that something delivers a <time sensitive> freek from the synth maybe, and since it is time aligned with hitting the big bottom drum you get huge noise with it. Has been done forever.

Now with all that said you do not have to use a gate it does ultimately come down to personal opinion. I know some people out there may take this as an attack on them for using or not using a gate or some other stupid reason well it isnt. I just read a lot of misinformed people saying a product is grabage when it isnt and figured I would speak my piece as a person striving to better there education in sound engineering.

Well said. Many folks want something that was intended for use in the studio to work well in a bar, and things that work great in a bar to be faboo in the studio. Never happens. Well, hardly ever. Noise gates are onea them things I guess.

rct

I went and got the MXR M-135 last friday (oops forgot to post pics lol). My Marshall JMD501 has a gate built in however you can't use any other effect and honestly...you take my chorus away, I get b***hy lol.....

I do play high gain stuff but also alot of clean stuff as well. Remember , classical is my passion lol. The Keeley Fuzz head is used to boost the high gain, boost the lead stuff and give a nice compliment to my tone :).

That's not my effects chain by far, I was just tossing in every type of effect I could think of so people would understand there own chain a bit better depending on what they had for effects. The only time I ever want/need to use a gate, personally, is if I am recording something, usually just to get that professional quiet sound (does that make sense?) And at that I usually have the gate set to open with a pretty low amount of sound, rubbing the strings on the neck of the guitar should be able to just barely open the gate for me, if you can get it to flutter (open/close in succession) is what I really like. Otherwise I let her snarl and growl at me all she wants.

My chain is pretty stupid simple most of the time

Guitar---->CFH---->Whammy---->OD---->Amp

I do have more pedals, and I will always get new ones but I just swap them out as I feel fit. I am a tone chaser, but its my vision of a perfect tone I am chasing not a exsiting artists tone. When I find my holy grail combination of pedals I will make up a permanent board to put them all on but I dont see that happening for a couple years. I can see it coming to having multiples of something like fuzz or distortion, I find some work great for one genre of music but just doesnt do it for another, case in point is my MXR OD great for when I play Sunshine of your love, Auqalung or any other classic rock song, when I try to play thrash like Megadeth Holy Wars it sounds 120% wrong actually makes it unpleasing to listen to, I think Holy Wars uses a fuzz tho WTB Metal Muff I feel this guy might be a key ingredient for me.

CFH = Crybaby From Hell (just incase ya dont know)

Where in your chain do you put them...just askin [flapper]

if ya being serious then, i put it at the front...i use it to cancel out unwanted string vibrations [flapper]

although now i have the mxr fullbore metal i dont use the boss ns2 so much [sneaky]

Hmm . I would have thought some of you lofi guys would love the wacked out clipping effects you can get from a good noise gate.... or even a bad one.

I actually dig the extremely "gated" effects quite a lot. After all, my favorite fuzz is my Fuzz Factory.

I am not sure if its actually fuzz used in the song or not, never really dug into it much but it does leave the fuzz feeling in my ear. Aside from my OD and the Marshall head the only other guy I have for distortion is the fullbore metal, and its sad it only serves one useful purpose and for me its copying Dethklok music, and am starting to think Mr. Small is only using it in his solo's, I have tried it for other stuff but it just can never be calm enough. The Haze has a ton of gain available for a lunchbox amp so I can pretty much just dirty it right up if I want and be able to squeeze by, I really enjoy the hook riff of Raining Blood (you know the part!) and well I got enough gain on tap to nail it enough to make me feel like a mini Kerry King..........in more ways then one :P

Phil Collins returned home from another big tour to a home emptied by his soon-to-be ex-wife. He had in his stuff a brand newfangled "drum machine" that someone asked him to dink with and see what he thought, I don't remember the number of it, but it was about to change everything. Put down a demo using it that night, and that demo became Air Tonight. They attempted to recreate what he had done with that drum machine but could not ever do it. The track on the record is the track on the demo, which is straight out the back of that drum machine, which escapes me again. That's how it was 'splained to me!

rct

You are in fact very right, the song in comprised of a drum machine for the majority, it isnt until that signature "drum crash" that the real kit comes in, I should have clarified this, as far as I know on the album production the real drums come it at 3:16 into the song and run through to the end at the 4:40 mark. Ahmet Ertegun (yup the guy Zeppelin reunited for in 07) suggested they put more drum beats into the first 3:16 seconds as when he heard the song in the final mix he said "Where is the down beat? Where is the back beat?" I had to double check all my sources and stuff, I almost thought I had been given the wrong info myself!

On the compressor comment, while I dont think they should be thrown in the garbage, I dont personally have much love for a compressor. There claim to fame is making loud sounds quieter and quiet sounds louder, this comes in handy in the studio (I guess?) A noise gate has more function over one of these for me. I have mucked around with them and to me it feels the same as a clean boost almost.

Well I don't really like compressor pedals because when they go through your amp you kindof lose some of the dynamic of picking hard or soft and whatnot. But when you add it in the studio, it evens out the volume without affecting the dynamic toanz for ultimate radness.

It also can just be a sweet effect. Compressors rock.

Well I don't really like compressor pedals because when they go through your amp you kindof lose some of the dynamic of picking hard or soft and whatnot. But when you add it in the studio, it evens out the volume without affecting the dynamic toanz for ultimate radness.

It also can just be a sweet effect. Compressors rock.

Yup. I add a compressor on Garageband to most of my tracks I put out there. Compressor pedals, for the most part, suck

Archived