Gibson Brands Forums

What is the Best Tube Amp under a Grand suitable for a Les Paul

guitarhead

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just added a Marshall dsl40c. They sell for $699. Great amp!

I just purchaced a Les Paul Standard and was trying to decide on an amp. I have recently been reading up on this amp(DSL40C) and have read nothing but great reviews on this. The only negative was that it was made in Veitnam? But all reviews were excellent! I believe this will be my choice.

I just purchaced a Les Paul Standard and was trying to decide on an amp. I have recently been reading up on this amp(DSL40C) and have read nothing but great reviews on this. The only negative was that it was made in Veitnam? But all reviews were excellent! I believe this will be my choice.

Don't let the Vietnam thing deter you. It's a great amp. I don't gig, but if I did I wouldn't see an issue with it. Build quality is great IMO.

Most Major Amp manufacturers "out source" at least part of their work, to Asia,

or other places, nowadays! It's one way, they keep their prices, competitive!

They will NOT (knowingly) compromise their reputations, with shoddy quality,

however. So, regardless of where it's put together, they're usually the same...

as long as the spec's AND the parts used, are the same, as well.

CB

I'm in the DSL 100 camp. Add a TS9 or an SD1, an EQ in the loop and rock. Pick up a used half stack for under a grand easy.

I had a DSL 100 and loved it - liked the ability to scoop the mids with the push of a button, 2 channel flexibility and built in reverb.

But then... I bought a Mesa Dual Rectifier with Mesa cab - I thought I had tone before, but now it sounded great!

But then... visited my friend the amp tech who swapped out the 6L6s and went with JJ EL34s, and even though Mesa says that you don't need to, I had the amp biased. Awesome - I had discovered tone.

But then... didn't like the level of noise so bought an ISP Decimator ProRack G and discovered it worked best with a series Loop so had my amp modded. Killer tone! Went from a convoluted set of different pedals, Musicman guitars, and stripped it right back to 2 Les Pauls (1 standard, 1 classic), a ModFactor, Wampler delay, DBX Compressor, Decimator and RJM gear to control it. I have finally found the tone that I want.

But then...

To be continued

I decided, years (maybe decades) ago, I was "Tone Fickle!" [tongue][unsure]

I seem to like everyone else's tone, regardless, of their "gear!"

So, I just try to do, what I really "like/love," that's tone appropriate,

to the particular song, or musical style. That alone, can (and, often does)

dicate amp, and/or guitar choices. Provided, of course, I'm allowed those

options, at the time. :)

CB

• 3 weeks later...

Don't let the Vietnam thing deter you. It's a great amp. I don't gig, but if I did I wouldn't see an issue with it. Build quality is great IMO.

This might be somewhat off topic, but I purchased the Blackstar HT-20 combo a year or so ago... fantastic amp, no issues, gain for days on the drive channel! I was at my guitar tech's shop a few months back and we were talking about amps. I said I was looking at a Bluesbreaker combo (looking... those suckers are PRICEY!!!), and he asked if I have ever heard of Ceriatone amps. I hadn't...

Ceriatone is a company in Malaysia that make handwired 'clone' amps based on the originals, down to the components, for significantly less. You can order the amp as a kit, just the amp chassis, or the complete head/combo unit.

Long story short, I purchased a 'British 18W' (1974x clone). Nik (the guy at Ceriatone... very helpful, amazing customer service) added a master volume to the amp on the normal channel and a half-power switch, which will come in handy as I only play at home and try not to piss off my neighbors any more than I have to.

The cab has shipped, and when it is all put together, I will post pics and perhaps some sound clips... I'm very excited to see how she sounds!!

http://www.ceriatone.com/

• 2 weeks later...

One of my friends has a 15 watt Ibanez Tube Screamer mini stack amp and that amp rules. You can switch it from 15 watts to 5 watts. Really great amp. I recommend them. I also agree with what people have said about Egnater's. I've played through one at a local music store and my cousin played through one at the same music store when he was looking for a new guitar a little over a month ago and they sound great. Check out some Fender amps as well. Also, check out the Peavey Classic 30, Delta Blues, and the 6505+ combos. That's what I would go for if you're looking for something affordable and low wattage. But, I can vouch for the Marshall JCM 2000 as well. I've played through one before and LOVED it. You would be extremely happy with one! If you can find a used one for a great price, snatch it up! Also, look into the new Marshall DSL amps. They're affordable. The DSL15C 15 watt combo is $600, the 40 watt combo is $700, and the 100 watt head is $750. There's my 2 cents.

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe combo might suit your needs. About 30 watts, but has a gain and more gain foot switch - they get real loud in those modes, but you can turn them down and still have the growl at low volume. Just that when you switch back to clean side, you will have almost no volume at all. Street price about $600 - 700 new and you can gig with it too.

I have been using a blues junior for about a year now and can say that it is a work horse of an amp. At 15 watts it can get quite load but not going to blow your head off. you can get some nice dirty tone out of it but the one of my favorite things about this amp is that it handles pedals soooo well. I use a MXR custom Badass 78 distortion for my dirt, and always have my Ts-808 Tube screamer set up for my clean boost. I play mostly in my home and family gatherings and it covers me for all my needs.

Hope this helps.

Dave

I haven't read all 9 pages, I've read enough to know there are some good suggestions made already. I want to throw in my vote for a Traynor YCV40 or YCV40WR 12" combo. 40 watts, two footswitchable channels with boost, master volume control, independent EQs and volume control + gain on drive channel, Accutronics reverb, 12" Celestion speaker (the Celestion 30 comes stock, I have a YCV40WR that has been setup with a Celestion 100 for more clean headroom).

Traynor amps are made in Canada, and built like tanks. Circuitry is dead silent when you're not playing. The gain channel has been called Marshall like, the clean channel is quite Fendery (the man who started the company used to work for Fender), a lot like if Marshall and Fender had a love child.

They are pro quality amps and go for about $700 US.

FWIW the OP hasn't checked in to his post since last summer.

I think all who have posted since have been offering 'General Information' rather than a reply to the original question.

[smile]

P.

FWIW the OP hasn't checked in to his post since last summer.

I think all who have posted since have been offering 'General Information' rather than a reply to the original question.

[smile]

P.

True. It's a good topic for general information. Type of thing that comes up on search engines.

I finally broke down and bought this amp, you are right quality is on the $$. This thing really sounds good at low and high volumes. I dont gig either, but there's no doupt in my mind that this amp would hold its own. Distortion all day long. Very satisfied.........

• 2 weeks later...

Archived