"To button or not to button?" That IS the question

#1 User is offline   Aster1 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationIowa

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:17 AM

Hi guys,

We'll first off, I did a search and didn't turn anything so I'm a gonna axe it:

On an expensive Gibson do you all have a strap button added to the neck heel or do you just "tie one on" above the nut with the string loop? I didn't know if the button addition devalues the guitar any and wanted to hear some constructive feed back. Or you can poke fun at me for feedback too. I'm not a crybaby with a fragile ego. [flapper]

Thanks in advance for any constructive info on how you manage a strap with something like a J-45, Dove or Bird that you laid out a fair amount of $$$ for.

Aster
"Life is too dang short to eat ratty tast'n peaches!"

#2 User is offline   fortyearspickn 

• Member At Large
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:32 AM

Hey Asker, We can always use one more not a crybaby Gibson lover. Obviously the guit's come standard with ONE - and adding a heel button is so common, I'd guess it would never reduce the re-sale value. Well, unless it were a one in a million guitar - belonged to Elvis, Lennon, Dylan... and didn't have one when they had it. The button adds functionality, so if you don't like the shoelace tied to the head - just get it done by someone who knows what they're doing!
SJ200 2004
H'Bird TV 2010
J45 Custom Koa 2013

#3 User is offline   michaeljohnr 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

I always thought guitars looked silly with the strap tied out to the neck.

I always added a strap button to the neck heel and it's never hurt a thing.
Gibson J45
A lonely, unoccupied second guitar stand.
A few Diamond Bottlenecks glass slides.
A capo or two.

#4 User is offline   DanvillRob 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationDanville, CA

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

I wouldn't put a "non-OEM" button on the Dove, Doves In Flight or the 'Bird.

I also don't like the looks of a shoestring holding up one end of the guitar.

So, I found some leather straps made to go around the headstock just behind the nut, with a button to attach to a nice strap.

That seems to have solved that issue for me.

#5 User is offline   Joe M 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:16 AM

View PostDanvillRob, on 24 March 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

I wouldn't put a "non-OEM" button on the Dove, Doves In Flight or the 'Bird.

I also don't like the looks of a shoestring holding up one end of the guitar.

So, I found some leather straps made to go around the headstock just behind the nut, with a button to attach to a nice strap.

That seems to have solved that issue for me.

Sounds like that's just what I've been looking for, Rob. Any particular brand and/or source for the straps you've found?

Thanks...

#6 User is offline   EuroAussie 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:22 AM

I just get my luthier to add a strap button at the heel, have it on all my guitars as they all get gigged regular. Costs like $15

I persoally strongly dislike the look of the strap at the nut approach, not my cuppa tea ...

The Big Fat Lady 02' Gibson J-150
The Squares 11' Hummingbird TV, 08' Dove
The Slopeys 11' Gibson SJ (Aaron Lewis), 02' AJ
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
The Lonely Electric: 95' Les Paul

What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnat...oubleshotprague

#7 User is offline   DanvillRob 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationDanville, CA

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

View PostJoe M, on 24 March 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

Sounds like that's just what I've been looking for, Rob. Any particular brand and/or source for the straps you've found?

Thanks...

I got two on ebay...then they got scarce there, so I bought the last one directly from LM Products.

Playmaster Acoustic Strap Hook on Ebay

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   duluthdan 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationAspen, Colorado

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

If it has a pick-up in it, or you intend for one to be installed, I would not hesitate to put on a strap button. If it does not have a pick-up, I'd think twice. I used to use a leather shoelace to loop a strap to the headstock on one of my highend guitars, then I installed a Highlander pick-up, and a strap button. It probably comes down to the question, "are you a player? or a collector?".
Smile Fierce !!!
Gibson J-45 TV (Lyric)
Gibson J-45 Legend
Gibson J-50 (K&K)
Martin D-35 (Trance)
Martin 000-42
Gibson J-35 Vintage

#9 User is offline   Aster1 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIowa

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

View Postduluthdan, on 24 March 2012 - 07:34 AM, said:

It probably comes down to the question, "are you a player? or a collector?".

Thanks to all for the feedback. I am both a player & collector. I wouldn't have guitars that I'd not use & enjoy, but just like them to keep their resale (if ever needed to cash out [scared]).

I have my J-45 Custom in at the luthiers right now to do a total setup & fret polish. I'll just have them add a button on the heal and be done with it. Rob, on the OEM button part, you mean one that is just like the Gibson on the tail of the guitar? Would StewMac sell the OEM style you are meaning? I can add them to my Dove myself I'm sure.

Thanks again. [biggrin]

Aster

#10 User is offline   DanvillRob 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationDanville, CA

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

View PostAster1, on 24 March 2012 - 07:45 AM, said:

Thanks to all for the feedback. I am both a player & collector. I wouldn't have guitars that I'd not use & enjoy, but just like them to keep their resale (if ever needed to cash out [scared]).

I have my J-45 Custom in at the luthiers right now to do a total setup & fret polish. I'll just have them add a button on the heal and be done with it. Rob, on the OEM button part, you mean one that is just like the Gibson on the tail of the guitar? Would StewMac sell the OEM style you are meaning? I can add them to my Dove myself I'm sure.

Thanks again. [biggrin]

Aster

I have no idea why Gibson does or doesn't add a button at the heel.... but even on my old Dove, I just wouldn't do it.... couldn't do it.... would make me feel like I've tampered with the originality...and I'm CERTAINLY not worried about the resale value.....I will never sell any of them.

#11 User is offline   pfox14 

• BANNED

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

View PostDanvillRob, on 24 March 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

I have no idea why Gibson does or doesn't add a button at the heel.... but even on my old Dove, I just wouldn't do it.... couldn't do it.... would make me feel like I've tampered with the originality...and I'm CERTAINLY not worried about the resale value.....I will never sell any of them.

I'm with you on this one. I wouldn't do it either. Not so much because of hurting the resale value, but I just don't like the way a strap button on the heel looks.

#12 User is offline   DanvillRob 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationDanville, CA

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

View Postpfox14, on 24 March 2012 - 07:55 AM, said:

I'm with you on this one. I wouldn't do it either. Not so much because of hurting the resale value, but I just don't like the way a strap button on the heel looks.

And it could gouge up the case too.

#13 User is offline   ritchie69 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationRome, Italy

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

When I bought the J200 custom I immediately put the strap button on the neck heel with no thought, the guitar was already electrified, then ready for live use, and since I don't like the shoelace tied to the headstock, the choice was pretty obvious...
now my main concern is: Should I put a transducer on my new Doves In Flight? Don't know yet, it cost me a lot of money, and I would leave her(the DIF) intact...but since I like to play my guitars in live gigs, sooner or later I'll do, and in same time I'll add a strap button at the neck heel...
I've never losing money when I resold the instrument with a 2nd strap button added, especially if it was already electrified, it's a minor modification, obligatory for some guitarists...
Maybe, put a transducer in, could lose some of its value, since it was not intended for that use (although almost gibsons are prepared for a UST), but even in this case, I didn't lost money...
2010 SJ-200 Custom
2011 Doves In Flight Custom Shop

#14 User is offline   Joe M 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

View Postpfox14, on 24 March 2012 - 07:55 AM, said:

+1

Thanks for the info, Rob, I'll check those out....

#15 User is offline   MissouriPicker 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndependence, Missouri

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

For myself, I like the button on the heel of the guitar. I think it looks better. However, I typically have a strap tied to the headstock of some guitars. Don't always get-around to having a button installed.
YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.c...er?feature=mhee
http://www.reverbnat...om/larrygarrett

Gibsons J45TV, Hummingbird, Dove, Southern Jumbo Mystic, Advanced Jumbo Rosewood
Advanced Jumbo Koa, J100 Walnut
Alvarez MFA66CE Masterworks OM/Folk
Martin X Series 2016 D12X1AE Dreadnought 12-String
Regal 1944 Parlor Guitar
LAG Nylon Stringed
Oahu 1941 Squareneck Parlor Guitar
Yamaha YPG-535MM Keyboard
and a herd of ukes, banjos, strumsticks, harmonicas and dulcimers,
making me a "jack of all trades and master of none."

#16 User is offline   Aster1 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIowa

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

Of course I was meaning like here:

Posted Image

I see what you mean about adding something. I guess I just haven't ever trusted the strap on the headstock and then Crash. But, the leather loop looks like maybe a good thing to check into.

Thanks again

Aster

#17 User is offline   45slinger 

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

I had a button put on the heel before I ever took my 45 home. It's nothing fancy, just a great playing Standard that I intend to play out, and I can't play it if I can't hold it!

#18 User is offline   KL 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

View PostAster1, on 24 March 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

Of course I was meaning like here:

Posted Image

I really dislike strap buttons added in that location and I have seen many guitars I would have bought if it was not for a strap button added in that location.

#19 User is offline   jedzep 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCrankytown, NY

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

Here's the greatest little loop to make it so you don't have to tie and untie a knot to free your guitar above the nut, the most obnoxious thing about tying to the neck. It has a leather button that slips into and out of your strap, and loops around the neck. I rant about this too much, but a button at the neck heel sends your neck down or up depending on the weight distribution of your particular guitar. Effort ideally spent moving freely from fret to fret now has to partially support the neck, diminishing your agility and fluidity. When you attach at the head you immediately notice you can let go of the guitar completely and it stays where it is. Perfect balance. Try this 4 dollar thang and drill not!

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4601bacdcc

By the way, a neck heel button that faces toward the player is the easiest position for the strap to pop off. Beware that!
I may not be good lookin', but at least I ain't got no money.

#20 User is offline   onewilyfool 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

"To button or not to button?"....We are still talking about guitars, right???
"The sole of my shoes is thin, and I'll soon be on my feet again" Lonnie Johnson

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users