Gibson Brands Forums

quite a collection

blindboygrunt

I doubt he worries about things like that with the amount of sales he gets. I'm not.much of a fan of his.

I was impressed by the archtop at the start. I didn't realise they were as loud as that. Never been near one but always had the notion that they would be more muffled than that one sounds. Are they usually ? Lovely instrument.

In my experience with archtops they tend to go one of two ways... either they are quite muffled and quiet(ish) or they're real loud buggers.

I'm currently having this one restored. The neck was in bad shape so it's getting a new neck/board and neckset of course, tuners, frets, bridge reworked etc... was in poor condition when I picked it up but it is quite loud as well. It's a 1953-54 based on the identifiers.

Untitled.jpg

VG's dad's archtop looks to be an ES 125. So presumably it's all plywood, and meant to be amped - perhaps surprisingly loud for an electric archtop, but then it's full depth, fully hollow and relatively uncluttered with pickups and stuff on top. My Howard Roberts Fusion has a balsa wood centre block, two humbuckers built into it and a nice, heavy fingers tailpiece. As you can imagine it does sound muffled compared with the guitar in the video. Still it always surprises me how loud and resonant it is acoustically. Especially if I've not played it for a while. This week I gave it a strum unamped and it just jumped out at me. Then I gave it a fingerpick (almost went for Wildwood Flower, too...) More than anything else, it made me seriously contemplate finally changing the strings on the Woody. But then I realized that the Woody had gone back to sleep over a couple of days. A bit of strumming and that woke up too. The thing with a plywood archtop is that it won't warm up with playing like a solid wood flat top. VG's guitar is loud, but it's not exactly a resonant acoustic tone, is it? That's not what I'd expect a proper acoustic archtop to sound like.

Maybelle Carter's L5 is more like it. You can here it over another archtop and a Martin OM here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewnfWoSQz3o

Nice video and the shirt is a little bit odd.

I have an ES-125 like his dad's guitar!

After that in the video, the chances of ownership of the others looks a bit slim....

I went to a pawn shop to play a guitar that a friend was interested in and while there I spied the Gibson on the wall, asked to have a try, B--A--A--A--A----D mistake as we know, discovered that it was sensational fingerpicking with a chunky 50s neck and went home to no sleep that night or the next andI was on their doorstep with my cash at first light ready to pay full asking price and the guy in the shop actually talked me down! I just wanted it! (Consignment of course!).

Great guitar and has my lovely P90s for plugging in and doing our best George Thorogood in our Amp modeller and headphones!

BluesKing777.

Nice video and the shirt is a little bit odd.

I have an ES-125 like his dad's guitar!

After that in the video, the chances of ownership of the others looks a bit slim....

I went to a pawn shop to play a guitar that a friend was interested in and while there I spied the Gibson on the wall, asked to have a try, B--A--A--A--A----D mistake as we know, discovered that it was sensational fingerpicking with a chunky 50s neck and went home to no sleep that night or the next andI was on their doorstep with my cash at first light ready to pay full asking price and the guy in the shop actually talked me down! I just wanted it! (Consignment of course!).

Great guitar and has my lovely P90s for plugging in and doing our best George Thorogood in our Amp modeller and headphones!

BluesKing777.

George thorogood. There's a name from a while ago. Played his live album to death many years ago. One bourbon one scotch and one beer was hilariously good

I am flabbergasted at negative comments about Vince Gill. That guy is one of the most talented people in the history of popular music. And I do not feel that I am overstating that -- in the entire history of popular music. The guy has got it all and it's world-class in every department... guitar-playing, one of the best voices EVER, top-notch songwriting and looks as a young man that knocked women off their feet. THE total package. On top of all that, one of the nice guys in the biz. To each his own, I realize people have different tastes, it just always surprises me how somebody SO musical can NOT be appreciated and even disdained. He is REVERED in the music business. Peace.

I am flabbergasted at negative comments about Vince Gill. That guy is one of the most talented people in the history of popular music. And I do not feel that I am overstating that -- in the entire history of popular music. The guy has got it all and it's world-class in every department... guitar-playing, one of the best voices EVER, top-notch songwriting and looks as a young man that knocked women off their feet. THE total package. On top of all that, one of the nice guys in the biz. To each his own, I realize people have different tastes, it just always surprises me how somebody SO musical can NOT be appreciated and even disdained. He is REVERED in the music business. Peace.

So :-s ? You like him or not ?

I am not that familiar with his later non- gigantic hits so I had a look on the Youtube and like this one a fair bit:

(Though I am a sucker for Hank.)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=V7MA****W5g

Well it says we can't have this one, so I will look for another version , even though it is currently playing on my iPad?????

Well, try this one:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=V7MA****W5g

Sorry, the Youtoobers won't plant for me today...just look up Vince Gill playinbg "Your Cheating Heart" at Don Helms' memorial.

BluesKing777.

Just by way of a comparison (volume and sound of electric archtops played unplugged, not Mojo's playing and Vince's), BBG. I've been trying to teach myself walking jazz bass, but I've only just started, so excuse the playing. Can't do this well on the acoustic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBJ9ztXm9dk&feature=c4-overview&list=UUPgNay5E-EJcSheHLDxvgew

VG's dad's archtop looks to be an ES 125. So presumably it's all plywood, and meant to be amped - perhaps surprisingly loud for an electric archtop, but then it's full depth, fully hollow and relatively uncluttered with pickups and stuff on top.

You just never know about volume with archtops & many can be boomers, whether solid carved, solid pressed, or laminate. I have a single pickup ES-125T, with the thin body, and it's volume + overall resonance is a real surprise when played acoustically.

Archived