Gibson Brands Forums

squares or slopes?

seamonkey

Squares or slopes and why? Any thoughts about rosewood vs mahogany would be appreciated too! Thanks

Slopes, because squares at a party just kill the buzz, nobody wants to be sat next to them and they'll KO your chances of pulling a loose woman. You are who you associate with.

Man both are great.

I'll give you an example... for $2,000 (or less) you can get a J45, or even a Gibson 1962 Country Western Reissue - Sheryl Crow (not the new model, and I think EMShorts has one?)

They are both great workhorses.

Most on the forum would love a J45 and a Hummingbird or some variety. And with regard to wood choice, that is personal preference. I happen to love the drier sounds of mahogany. If you like rosewood, and a more lush and sustainy sound, you could still get a J45 Custom or a Firebird, or any other number of non mahogany Gibbys.

Squares or slopes and why? Any thoughts about rosewood vs mahogany would be appreciated too! Thanks

Just about the largest (double-)Q of the year - put in time here by mid-December.

Can I postpone my doctor-thesis to after New Years Eve ?

Meanwhile go out and get both for X-mas, , , 'ave a happy search. . .

In a righteous world, 16 year old aspiring guitarists would just be issued a J-45 or a Martin D-18 and told to go forth and pickify.

Edit: If you have to ask these questions just buy a J-45 standard or TV if you can afford it.

In a PERFECT world they would be issued both!

My first choice would be square mahogany = Hummingbird True Vintage. That unique rich, warm , sweet , responsive tone is what does it for me.

Second choice would be sloped mahogany=Southern Jumbo True Vintage/ Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo= rich, responsive , woody, and powerful. A little less warmth and sweetness. More of an in your face tone.

Depends on the app, right? Slopes generally spking are more verstile, but if you are doin stones- mellencamp rthythm licks, versitile goes out the window.

I dig both Ginger and Mary Ann - though I don't know them - is that possible, , , I mean to dance with the two. . .

Still when I go deeper, something strange occurs. My mind stays very fond of the coooool slopes, but I can feel my soul rhyme with the squares, , , and can't figure that one out.

Seen Beatles with the round-shouldered all my life and always liked their acoustics - so maybe this has to do with the period when I first began playing.

The early half of the 70's when slopes was retiring. . . .

Totally sure Stones or other artists hasn't anything in the game, , ,

- is it just that square means bigger means more guitar - is it that embarrassingly banal. . .

I need to call my old psychologist,

(who always - without being conscious about it - placed me under a framed picture of Mickey Mouse and asked me to say something serious).

Archived