Gibson Brands Forums

Rabbit

Californiaman

My son and two of his friends were out shooting rabbits the other day.

Well they got one. With the help of my cousin's husband, they gutted and skinned it.

Now I've got it on the barbecue.

Small, but looks edible.

My son's going to eat it with marinara sauce.

Good luck with that I says. I'm having Chineese chicken stir fry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84ss6rWhhwA

When I was growing up in the suburbs of Pittsburgh we would go pellet gun hunting in the woods around our houses. Many of times we would build a fire, gut and clean the rabbits or the occasional pheasant and cook them right there in the woods. Times sure were different back then.

Yep,, I've gobbled on many Bugs Bunnys in my days.

My old butcher's Mom used to raise them so all I had to do was buy them all ready to go.

They are hard to bbq though. Careful not to dry him out.

But definitely give it a try. It's really tasty. I will eat rabbit any chance I get.

please have your Son and anyone else "out west" wear latex gloves while skinning/cleaning rabbit, there have been several cases (and a few in the east as well) of people contracting Bubonic Plague from being stabbed by a rabbit bone during the process...

if you've never had "rabbit & dumplings" you just haven't eaten !

Another fan of 'That Pesky Wabbit' here.

Smothered in a Honey and Wholegrain Mustard sauce and slow-roasted in the oven, served with rosemary-infused parsnips and hot-buttered extra-fine green beans MMMMmmmmmmmm...........

I have it on good authority that the tenderest part of the beast, perhaps surprisingly, are the cheeks but butchers here in 'Sarf Lahndin' don't sell you the heads...

Bon Appetit!

P.

Smothered in a Honey and Wholegrain Mustard sauce and slow-roasted in the oven, served with rosemary-infused parsnips and hot-buttered extra-fine green beans MMMMmmmmmmmm...........

I have it on good authority that the tenderest part of the beast, perhaps surprisingly, are the cheeks but butchers here in 'Sarf Lahndin' don't sell you the heads...

Bon Appetit!

P.

That sounds delicious, I usually do a slow cooked stew that i found on the good food website

Bon Appetit!

P.

Was it from Sainsburys? :P

Ive never eaten it.. but would have no problem trying it if offered to me :)

Hell yes,, what time is supper Pip?

Snake?

You want some snake?

I've got some for you.

I've had me some snake too. I had to try it. I think it was called The Snake Pit in Rapid City.

I had a combo plate. Snake and gator.

It was ok,, but I liked the gator better.

y'all be careful eating snake too.....poisonous snakes are the ONLY ones in North America that are safe to eat, because they're "white meat". Non venomous snakes are "yellow meat" and can be very harsh on your liver. "Copperheads" although venomous are borderline of white/yellow meat and should be consumed lightly.

Rattlesnake and water moccasin (sp?) are the safest.

There was a time some years ago that I was the local "Euell Gibbons" of wild fare.

But Mr.Gibbons died from liver failure after eating bad shrooms too.......

Hello!

The rabbit pörkölt (once again):

HPIM4009_zps9b22bfd4.jpg

Cheers... Bence

man that looks great !!!

we've had a horrible lack of jack-rabbits, quail, phesant, and anything else that nests in or on the ground since our State gov't. decided it would be a GREAT idea to release 200 mating pairs of Coyotes into our area about 20 years ago......now we have tens of thousands of Coyotes running everywhere, and no "ground game".

a pack of coyotes killed my dog "Gator" 4 months ago when he escaped our double fenced yard.....he was a Pitt-Bull, but they tore him to pieces.....a neighbor called and told my wife that he was laying outside our front door, she let him in and called me home from work but it was too late, he bled out as I laid on the floor behind him holding him & telling him he was my favorite......I haven't cried that hard in a long time.

I HATE Coyotes & i'd poison every single one in my area, but too many pets are allowed to run loose and would be poisoned by accident.

Worst part is, I live IN TOWN, and have been circled by 4 of them walking from my truck to my front door.

I've eaten both wild and farm-raised rabbit. Wild is gamier of course - tastes a bit like squirrel to me. Farm-raised is more tender and blander (but less gamey).

I have not eaten snake, but we eat frogs legs, turtle, and alligator quite a bit down here. All are pretty mild and delicious. I've heard of people eating racoons and possum too, but I have not.

Hello!

That's very nice!

I guess, You have been following Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's teachings on feeding snakes. That's how it grew so big. :D

Cheers... Bence

not mine.....but she was 158 Lbs (79k?) 2 yrs ago....albino python.....it took 2 handlers to drape her over my shoulders.

she's probably gained the 35 lbs i've lost since then...... [thumbup]

Another thing on some people's "I'd rather not eat that" list is shark. Don't know why, shark is delicious. I made shark tacos tonight which is what made me think of this. I bet you could put snake in a taco easily enough...

IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3391.jpg

Archived