Gibson Brands Forums

How long did you play before getting your first Gibson Les Paul ?

DubfromGA

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Voted longer. I started playing in '87 or '88 with a Starfire strat-type with a Poison/Winger paint job (it was the '80's). Got into SRV shortly after his untimely death, as well as Hendrix, in the early '90's and was a bonafide Strat guy. I was torn between a PRS and an LP in 2008 (ordered from big online retailer due to lack of local options)... went with the PRS. Great guitar, but it didn't have 'it'. Ordered my first LP in 2012 and that's all I have today (electric-wise). I wouldn't say I have my 'dream LP', but they are awesome guitars, and they all seem to have their own personality.

Short answer... 24 years

I started playing in 1996 on a Squier Strat my mum got me for Christmas that year (I still have it although it's completely discoloured and a bit battered), I bought my first Gibson in 2013 so it took me 17 years.

The problem is I now want to buy more Gibsons (much to my wife's dismay!)

Depends on how you look at it...

I was a Strat guy in my twenties (from 18 or 19) and then I went thru a 15+ year hiatus and put my guitar in a closet for that long. After my guitar revival in my 40's I got my first Gibson Les Paul when I was 44 in 2012. I now have two...

Started playing seriously in 1972 and had a couple of cheap Les Paul copies among other cheap guitars. My first Gibson was a 70s SG Std that put me off Gibsons for a long time. Played Strats for 35 years, before getting my first "real" Les Paul in January this year.

Voted longer - it took 32 years, then Gibson released the first one with switching options I liked. B)

I too waited over 30 years before getting my first Les Paul but the 2013 Studio had everything I ever wanted in a guitar, 60's Mahogany neck, beautiful Block inlays, 498/490 Pic-Ups, Coil Tap, Nitrocellulose Finnish. It was a Dream come True for me and I will NEVER Look Back!

Just got a 2013 W/R Studio this year. Started playing in '77, and have had more than my share of guitars through the years (bought, sold, traded, gave away.) Acoustics, Fenders and Les Paul copies, too many to even remember. So, i worked a deal with a company who had some Gibby's stashed in a warehouse....great deal (short version of another story.)

so...37 years later i guess

I started playing in the late 80's in my late teens. I started collecting old guitars at the same time. My 1st guitar was a 1968 Rickenbacker 425. Then I moved on to a Telecaster phase and collected them for several years until a junkie stole my whole collection for a quick hit in 2000. Broke my heart so I gave up until earlier this year when I got an uncontrollable urge to play again.

I happened upon a rare 62 Jaguar for a steal and bought it and hated it. Flipped it for 3 times what I paid and with the spoils bought my 1st Gibson. Always wanted one but could never afford one. Now every time I play my 2001 LP Classic I cry tears of joy. Sometimes I take it out of the case to just look at it and enjoy the emotion that the sight of it envokes. Never got that feeling from a Fender or a Rick.

I still pinch myself when I wake up and remember that I own a Les Paul.

• 2 months later...

I started playing in 1988 and got my Les Paul in 2012. I used to have a Gibson Sonex, which I miss now. When I started looking for another one, I was noticing that a brand new LP Studio Faded was just about as much, sometimes even less, than a used Sonex in excellent original condition.

Here is a case where being older than most of you had it's advantages. I started playing electric in 1965 with a Gibson semi hollow ES 125 TC, it had a single P90. In 1970 I got into a decent band and needed a two pickup axe to rock out. Bought a used Goldtop LP for $300. Had it for about 25 years or more and the neck was so solid I never had to adjust the truss rod.

Not being aware of collectibility etc, I did replace the soap bar P90s with Humbuckers about 1976. [-X It wasn't about what the guitar might be worth back then, just about the sound and playability.

The phrasing of the question kind of makes it weird for me. I just bought my first "Gibson Les Paul" earlier this month (A Les Paul Classic, for a friend with terminal cancer, so I only had it for like two weeks, it's on "permanent loan"), but my "dream Les Paul" is my Orville. I started playing in 2004 and got the Orville last spring, so 9 years, I guess.

My first Gibson, on the other hand, was a 2007 SG in 2008. My second Gibson (incidentally my first " 'vintage' McCarty-era OMGBWLOLZMGZ!?! MAGIC!!!!?" Gibson) was the 1966 ES-125TDC earlier this summer.

I've been playing guitar since the age of 11 or so..back in '77... First guitar I had was bought for me at Christmas ,it was an LP copy made by Kay..now some 30 odd years later after many different makes and models I've finally realised my dream and bought a new LP trad..it was certainly worth the wait.

Started playing aged 7...got my Les Paul Custom 1957 Reissue aged 27! So 20 years for me...however I did get an LP Studio when I was 15 and a Les Paul Classic when I was 19 and I still have them both in my collection and both still lovely instruments.

I bought my 1st guitar (accoustic)when I was 15. First song learned was Stairway to Heaven...LOL.(still cant play it right... Anyways, I then purchaced a brand new Fender Strat at the House of Guitars in Rochester NY. At the time I was only 21. This was 1981 when Rock & Roll was sizzling! I guess I thought a Strat was the best, but I coundn't stand the hum(noise of the single coil. I did play in a band for a short time. We were OK, but young and not very smart. At the time, in the back of my mind, I've always wanted to try a Les Paul but never did. I believe at around the age of 29, I completely gave up playing guitar altogether and sold all of my equipment. I guess I was frustrated, in a rut or just didnt take it very seriously. Boy did I make a big mistake! I am now 53, 24 years later, I purchased a 2013 Les Paul Traditional and I am picking up where I left off. I had to purchase a Marshall stack to go with this amazing guitar. Sure they are expensive, but I truly love the tone this guitar has. I am now hooked again, I will never quit playing. Yes, my wife thinks I'm nuts, but she likes the fact that I am doing something that I love. If you are trying to decide between a Strat or a Les Paul. I say go GIBSON! ou wont be sorry!

I got my first les paul in 88. I bought it at Guitar Center in San Diego when i was in the Navy. It was a 78 Les Paul Deluxe. I ended up selling it years later because I needed cash. I still wish i had that guitar. I do have a les paul studio and a 2014 les paul melody maker

Longer. I didn't feel I was a 'Les Paul/Gibson guy' so I didn't really aspire to own one when I was a kid. I bought my first one in 1984 or so. I went into the music store to buy a Standard and left with a Studio. I still regret that. I think they were made of something other than Mahogany...it was supposed to be lighter with the same hardware as the Custom. Anyway, I didn't like it at all and barely played it until I sold it in the early 90s.

I would have never bought another one if my brother hadn't insisted I borrow his 2000 Murphy-aged R-7. Opened my eyes to the fact that Gibson is making some incredible guitars these days. Thirty years later I just bought my 2nd LP. Only had it a couple of months and I wish I had it my whole guitar-playing life.

Dream Les Paul?

OK here it is - I've posted this one before and I played for thirty-six years before getting it......

LesPaulweb_zpsc084a215.jpg

Regards!

Started playing in 1997 with a Fender Bullet... : / Bought a black and purple Gibson Explorer in 98, a red Explorer in 99, and a Jackson V2, and a B.C. Rish Mockingbird around 2000 and bought my Gibson Les Paul about a month ago.

17 years.

I've played guitar for 26 years, and just got a Les Paul a few months back. I was always into Fenders before, but just suddenly decided I wanted a total change of pace. I haven't played anything else since I got the Les Paul.

• 4 months later...

40 years! My first post here earlier today...I'll spare you the rhetoric! I had a lot of misconceptions- first LP I played was a Custom I believe, in about 1978. Stationed in Germany, I had a Strat I thought was expensive. Mitch, who became our lead guitarist, handed me his LP. Later that day, when I was released from the hospital due to shock and a hernia ($HOW MUCH$! How do you wear this thing!!??) I thought what was the big deal? So I stuck with my Strat and later went to Teles. NOW...well like I said in the other post; I'm late to the party but at leastI've arrived!

Brian

Archived