Gibson Brands Forums

2nd Birthday, May 18

Today is my 2nd birthday. Two years ago today, the Mayo Clinic conducted a Blood Marrow Transplant using my own stem cells to start my immune system anew minus the Lymphoma that had been in my liver. So far so good. The picture I switched to on my account this week was me in the lime green (lymphoma color)t-shirt and two of my Angel nurses as we celebrated that morning. My wife made me the t-shirt and even though, you can't read what it says, she had stenciled my motto on the front. "I choose to Pick Daisies". Part of my fun when I wore that shirt was explaining to the youngster nurses and aides what that meant, because they had never heard the expression "pushing up daisies", meaning you were six feet under. Anyway, I don't post this to get any response from you folks, I just wanted you to know why I have such a funky picture on my account. I praise God everyday for my luck at living in a town that has a clinic that is part of Mayo Health System and only living 90 miles from the world famous Rochester Clinic. So far they have saved my life from cancer 3 times. I celebrate all this by playing my J-35 everyday, so that when I get to the Pearly Gates someday, I will be able to play God a couple of tunes from Neil Young or George Harrison, or CSN or Peter, Paul and Mary. Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow. Thank you for having such interesting postings on this forum. I don't comment too many times, because even though I am older, I consider myself a fairly new guitar player (10 years), so I don't feel qualified to comment on a lot of topics.

Doug T. [biggrin]

Happy 2nd Birthday Doug.

From a fellow cancer survivor.

I had a nephrectomy just over 6 years ago.

I got the all clear from my doctor a few months ago and hope he is right in saying it's gone.

I truly wish you all the best.

Happy 2nd Birthday Doug.

From a fellow cancer survivor.

I had a nephrectomy just over 6 years ago.

I got the all clear from my doctor a few months ago and hope he is right in saying it's gone.

I truly wish you all the best.

Thanks, Q. Is a nephrectomy a kidney removal? The reason I ask, is that after my transplant, my kidneys failed for about 4 days and I had to see a Nephrologist for about a year after, monitoring my kidney function. It's amazing what we have to go through to get rid of this stuff. Cancer SUCKS.! Hope all continues to be Great with you! As long as I have my stringed instruments to play, I am a lucky man.

Thank God for those 2 years, (and all the future years).

Today is actually my son's 35th B-day, and I'm sitting at the kitchen table watching CSN's 2012 concert.

From one old geezer to another.... Happy B-Day!

Considering the number of times I've read a post which was interesting and subsequently found out it was written by 'Doug the Old Geezer' I'm surprised to see how recently you arrived.

Clearly your contributions contain much more in the way of Substance and Quality rather than Quantity.

I'm truly delighted to hear of the prognosis. Double that if we include the J-35 side of things.

I'm not one to deprive anyone of great music - whether Supreme Being; God, Demi-God or 'Other' - but the longer you can entertain us 'undeniable' mortals 'right here right now' the longer I'm sure this world is a better place.

My very best wishes for your continuing presence here!

P.

Happy 2nd Birthday, Doug! The very best of wishes for many more! My Father-in-law's birthday was today, too. He would have been 78 had he not lost his fight with Lung Cancer.

Live your life to the absolute fullest - for yourself and for those who lost the fight.

I figure I'll end up kinda like the deacon's "one horse shay" as written by Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. - not so much breaking down through wear or damage of this or that part, but simply collapsing all at once. <grin> At least that's kinda how it looks from this point in time, which would have surprised me 20 years ago when I figured I'd not make it to 50 ...

One can and does learn some interesting lessons as he or she approaches increasingly close to the proverbial three score and ten.

m

Great attitude Doug…! It's you that gets your threw it, good job. I have only been playing since late 2007, heck I was posting here before I knew how to play. As a matter of fact this place played a big roll in my evolvement as a player. Post away…. [thumbup]

Hello Doug,

belated congratulations on the second anniversary of your rebirth so to say. [thumbup]

When considering the daisy thing you explained that nicely for ignorant people like me, I admire your good sense of humour. Keep on making fun of things, I guess this attitude will help in overcoming bad luck. And thinking about Pearly Gates, I remember the story of an old car once owned by ZZ top guitarist Billy Gibbons, giving its name to one of the most famous Les Paul guitars. In case you will decide one day to play electrics, there are Pearly Gates pickups and tones available here, too, giving a piece of Tone Heaven to us earthly creatures. [biggrin]

Keep on having fun through picking your J-35. I can't think of a better edification than making music. :)

And keep us posted, please - lots of nosy people like me here I think [rolleyes]

My best wishes for your ongoing recovery.

Sincerely,

capmaster

Thank God for those 2 years, (and all the future years).

Today is actually my son's 35th B-day, and I'm sitting at the kitchen table watching CSN's 2012 concert.

From one old geezer to another.... Happy B-Day!

Thanks, Rob. Happy Birthday to your son. CSN and Y changed my whole attitude on life back in the late 60's and early 70's. [thumbup]

Considering the number of times I've read a post which was interesting and subsequently found out it was written by 'Doug the Old Geezer' I'm surprised to see how recently you arrived.

Clearly your contributions contain much more in the way of Substance and Quality rather than Quantity.

I'm truly delighted to hear of the prognosis. Double that if we include the J-35 side of things.

I'm not one to deprive anyone of great music - whether Supreme Being; God, Demi-God or 'Other' - but the longer you can entertain us 'undeniable' mortals 'right here right now' the longer I'm sure this world is a better place.

My very best wishes for your continuing presence here!

P.

Thank you so much for your eloquent words, P. I am mostly an observer on this forum, since really, I am still learning how to play guitar and mandolin. So even though I have more than enough "life" experience to comment on those type of issues, I am a bit more reserved when it comes to speaking up about this world of guitars and music. All I know is that when I pick up my J-35, or my Alvarez 12 string or my little mandolin, my soul relaxes and I am at peace. Of course I would be even more at peace if I could play better, but I am happy with my progress considering I lived for 50 years before I decided it was time to play the guitar. [biggrin]

Happy 2nd Birthday, Doug! The very best of wishes for many more! My Father-in-law's birthday was today, too. He would have been 78 had he not lost his fight with Lung Cancer.

Live your life to the absolute fullest - for yourself and for those who lost the fight.

Thanks, Rosemarie. Cancer SUCKS! But I am trying to follow your advice and live life to the fullest. I am so grateful, but also sad for those that came before me. Everyday cancer research improves. I know it doesn't seem fast enough for most of us, but I think back 40 years ago and how technology and treatment has changed, I would have been pushing daisies now instead of posting these words to you. :rolleyes:

Archived