Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-200 Vs Taylor 618e

duluthdan

Gracias, "Dañel". Juan Carlos V would approve, esp. for the model Gibson chosen to compare with the Taylor. Big Thumb Tony & company at Music Villa are getting quite good at doing these comparison videos, and this one really captures the difference between the G and the T.

Thanks for passing it along-

Damn Dan....JC....must be on vacation???!!!But thanks to YOU....we have our latest "comparison".

My take on it is ....(drum roll)....Until the final strum....the Gibson sounds constipated compared to the Taylor....(I hate everything about Taylor BTW)....until the last chordal riff, in which I like the Gibson tone better!

I hate to say it, BUT the Taylor did what the Gibson "should have"....IMHO!

This is only one comparison of one guitar to another though.....they ALL differ!

The Taylor sounded louder, but still has that metallic, thin sound that I dislike Taylor's for….It is just not my kind of guitar…..I don't know what it is about Taylors….I actually found some of their all mahogany 5 series guitars (and liked them BETTR than the Martin 15 series all hog guitars) To have a great sound. Somehow that all mahogany and mahogany top below out that "thin" sound that I do not like….I love Taylor necks however….wish I could swap them with a few of my guitars..lol. The J-200 clearly hasn't opened up yet, but still has the "Gibson" sound in seed form..STILL, I liked the Gibson sound much better…..

This was good. I guess it just confirmed for me the basic difference between Taylor and Gibson as I've heard it in the past. To me, a Gibson sounds like a Steinway and the Taylor like a harpsichord. OWF said it better. In the spirit of transparency, I must disclose I have an SJ200, so I might be biased.

Oddly enough, I have played both at the shop, but on different days.

One said to me that it wanted to join my collection, and the other gave me a fright it was so bright and I handed it straight back. I had told the sales guy I wanted to try the best one, after reading so much about them and...ahem, never tried one.

On a different point, do Tony and MV play the guitars in, or ToneRite them even, before they make these videos? The guitars always look new, but don't have that scary, new guitar bitey sound.

BluesKing777.

http://acousticletter.com/gibson-j-200-vs-taylor-618e/

Gibson J200 vs Taylor 618 e.

I know which one I prefer...

JC must be asleep at the wheel, so I jumped on this Tony Vid.

When i bought my Tele (just sold to buy the j15) the owner had a j200 and he allowed me to play. He had lowered the saddle and it played beautifully and sounded incredible. Even better than 6k martins, not kidding. The Taylors ive played were odd, some played well for their prospective price like the 114, others like the 214 and 314 i thought kinda meh..

This Taylor however, really sounds nice and to be honest, the 200 i played sounded better than this one. Why? I have no idea, perhaps i like the strings better or this was just a dud, it does happen.

While i am a Gibson fanatic i certainly wouldnt complain if wifey came home with that Taylor but the best sound ive ever played on an acoustic ever was a 200. Both great guitars with solid mats but i heard Taylor necks are notorious for warping which has scared me off a bit.

I like the sound of both of them. Oh what the heck, I'll take one of each!

Taylor to me seems that it has more mid punch, where as the Gibson has a more scooped midrange.

Really a matter of what you're looking for I supose, but I can certainly see why people would gravitate to the J200 Fantastic guitars.

(acutally I have a 2005 Taylor GS - kind of similar to the 618 in body dimensions, mine has a cedar top with mahogany back and sides.)

...AND THE WINNER IS... (Drum roll please!) .... ...... ..... GIBSON J-200! ...the crowd roars in near hysteria at the victory! ....GIBSON GIBSON GIBSON!

yea man.. you'd think this was a Gibson site.. oh.. wait... never mind.

The Gibson is the winner by a long shot imo

winner is in the ear of the beholder.

I like the sound of both of them.

I do dream of someday owning a J200... I guess at 57,, I better get honkin on that.. lots a money tho.

Archived