Gibson Brands Forums

Best Guitar Tone Recording

Space Pup

In your opinion which cd's (or albums for us older folks) do you think have the best sounding guitars on them. I'm not including leads, riffs, or songs, just the tone of the guitars.

Some of my favorites are.

Cat Scrath Fever - Ted Nugent

British Steel - Judas Priest

Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin

Electric Rendezvous - Al Di Meola

The Scorpion's "Blackout" is another great sounding album.

+1 on that. I love "Phoenix" where Jabs is throwing licks into all the breaks between vocals. What a great' date=' crankin' Marshall tone that is!

Other favorite recorded tones for me...

[b']UFO's mid 70s albums with Michael Schenker[/b] - the lead break in "Out in the Street" slays me every time

Thin Lizzy with Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson - "Cowboy Song" is the reference rhythm tone for me

ZZ Top's Fangango album - the live side is a fat slab of Les Paul goodness

Humble Pie with Peter Frampton - the live tones on the Fillmore Album

Jeff Beck Group - Truth baby!

Some Strat-o-licious favorites too...

Taste - Listen to Rory Gallagher and you'll see where Brian May got his love of the Vox AC30 (true story)

Deep Purple - Blackmore's clean yet rockin' tones on Machine Head ("Lazy" for example)

Jeez, Surf! Talk about open ended questions #-o

How about

Kansas: "Masque"

Heart: "Dreamboat Annie"

ZZ Top's "Tres Hombres"

Kiss: "ALIVE"

Lynyrd Skynyrd: "Pronounced"

Iron Maiden: "Powerslave"

Evanescence: "Fallen"

O_so_many_more.....

Joe Bonamassa Live from No Where In Particular

I was just going to add this one - I'm listening to it right now and his tone is smooth and sweet. I'm not sure what type of amp he's playing but it sounds like a Dumble or Dumble type clone - Two Rocks or Fuchs perhaps?

You guys need to really check this CD out. It's one thing to get nice tone in the studio where engineers and producers can manipulate the sound, but live is the true test (of course mastering does some magic to the sound too).

I was just going to add this one - I'm listening to it right now and his tone is smooth and sweet. I'm not sure what type of amp he's playing but it sounds like a Dumble or Dumble type clone - Two Rocks or Fuchs perhaps?

You guys need to really check this CD out. It's one thing to get nice tone in the studio where engineers and producers can manipulate the sound' date=' but live is the true test (of course mastering does some magic to the sound too).[/quote']

It's a Dumble Overdrive Special Clone by Van Weelden. He also uses a Marshall Silver Jubilee. A Catagory 5 1968 Super Lead Clone and a 100 Watt Two Rock Custom Reverb. I've seen him up close in concert and his tone is the real deal.

By the way, Bonamassa owns two identical set ups; one for the States and a 220 volt rig for Europe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2yHFbT63ug&feature=related

Archived