Gibson Brands Forums

Really dumb, off-the-wall topic/question

GibsonKramer

I like my picks well-aged. Hate a new guitar pick and have been using Dunlop Tortex (yellow) .75mm, for as long as I can remember playing the electric guitar.

Though, picks sometimes get interesting wear patterns and sometimes quite quickly. Years ago, when I had just started playing, my best friend's sister was dating a long-hair, Les Paul playing, always reminded me of Frampton, dude. Doug was a cool guy and could play some wicked licks... we'd sit and just listen. Plus, he had one of those old classic Peavey amps... was a sweet sounding setup.

One day, I notice he's rubbing his fist down in the carpet, I'm like... "Doug, what the Hell are you doing?" He explains how the backing is slightly abrasive and will smooth out the rough spots, you can round down, or point the tip. Pretty cool, I thought.

Just something I thought I would share (see who else does the same, if at all [blush]), as I found myself bent at the waist, rubbing a well-aged pick, I stumbled across into the carpet for a tune-up. [tongue]

One day, I notice he's rubbing his fist down in the carpet, I'm like... "Doug, what the Hell are you doing?" He explains how the backing is slightly abrasive and will smooth out the rough spots, you can round down, or point the tip. Pretty cool, I thought.

That's what Cerwin/Vega cabinets were for.

rct

not sure I have a "aging" preference.. as long as it's around .73mm and a larger JAZZ tear drop shape.. I'm happy...

I've been using the Dandrea picks last few years. the texture for me is a bit better than Fenders, they're not quite as slick feeling.

Now we are aging picks. They will start to cost a fortune.

Our favorite guitar company will have a lackey watch a robot hold them against a spinning electric wheel and convince us they are aged by hand. Call them "Custom Shop" and double the price. Even add "vintage" to the name and they can double the price again.

Hate a new guitar pick and have been using Dunlop Tortex (yellow) .75mm, for as long as I can remember playing the electric guitar.

Just so happens I have a few (5 to be exact) "well aged" Tortex yellows if you want them. I've been using the blue 1.0mm for years, and am actively cleaning out the storeroom.

PM me a mailing address, and I'll put them in the mail.

I still have two or three "nylon" picks from around 1965. Still have my first guitar strap and "flamenco" capo.

And... some steel National fingerpicks and some of the clear, sharp-pointed Dobro thumb picks used by most banjo folks I knew back in '64 or so when first I used them on the Stella 12-sring and then late that year I got my first banjo.

Better? naaah. Except I still use the steel fingerpicks on a 12 occasionally and ditto banjo. And I wish I could find some more of those clear plastic "Dobro" brand thumb picks, but my understanding is that they ain't been around for ages.

m

Fascinating replies. Really! [biggrin]

I was just talking about little quirks, habiits, things you've picked up over the years. As I said, just caught myself smoothing that pick down a bit, while I was near my laptop.

But, since we've now opened up the floor to the new conversation...

1) Thanks for the offer (for the picks). Got a fresh bag and plenty laying all over the place. I can't much walk into a room, without finding a guitar pick someplace.

2) I've used the yellow Tortex habitually, since I first tried them. Mostly, because of the way they feel on the strings and I prefer the sound, on pick slides.

3) "Well-aged"... I hate new picks. They literally flop out of my hand, as I wear it in. Its been a while, since I used anything other than the Tortex, but I originally started using and keeping them, because I liked the way they ended up curving, to the way I hold the pick and hold the shape.

4) The pick slides and working a pick to the "well-aged" point, often leaves some rough spots... the carpet (or those old Cerwin/Vega cabs [smile]) takes care of the problem. Don't know about you guys, but as I use my pick, it also gets a knife-like single edge. Carpet/cabs take care of that to.

Thank you for the responses (and offers)! [thumbup]

My buddy just gave me an Acoustic model yesterday. They're pretty cool but I still was fumbling with the thing. [biggrin]

I used to rough up my picks on the sidewalk. I don't do that anymore.

Those V-Picks are made about 10 miles from my house by Vinni. I bought my first one from him about 4 years ago. Been sold ever since.

At $4 a pop they better be damn good. Who needs a half inch thick pick? Most picks he makes are 1.5mm or larger. The thinnest are .8mm. I usually play a .73mm pick. I may try one. Since you use them, how long do they last, what is the wear like, how do they feel, in the thinner picks is there any give or is it stiff?

This is the V-Pick I use for guitar. There is no give to it and there in 4 years it has not warn at all. At $4 it's probably the cheapest guitar accessory or item you'll ever buy.

952A4B2C-5035-4710-B191-F3E22046F644_zpskyzxrotn.jpg

There is no give to it and there in 4 years it has not warn at all. At $4 it's probably the cheapest guitar accessory or item you'll ever buy.

Now we are aging picks. They will start to cost a fortune.

I call dibs on marketing "Road-Worn," "Reliced," and "Murphy Aged" picks!!!blink.gif

Don't get me started on picks! It's nearly as eternal of a quest as my lifelone perfect guitar string quest! Probably even more so due to the ease in cost in trying something new over strings...

It's funny how you come full circle... I've been using the Orange Dunlop Tortex picks since I started in my twenties. Now that they make it in the larger rounded-triangle style I've come back to them...

But I also use the Dunlop Ultex in .60mm or the Clayton Ultem in .56mm and am also fond of the Clayton Acetyl in a similar thickness, all in the larger rounded-triangle style...

But that sounds like a neat little trick. I tend to shun them after they've developed that odd used condition and they lie around and I buy more...

I'm going with the tricks and tips theme and changing topic away from picks.

1. One tip I use is when I have a guitar in a hard shell case with the top closed, I always latch at least one of the latches. I've accidentally picked up a closed unlatched case to move it when switching guitars and the top swung open and nearly dumped the guitar out on the floor. Since then, I always latch one latch even if it only going to be in there a few minutes.

2. When trying guitars out at the store, I always turn the amp volumes all the way down then bring them up as I test. You never know how the last guy left it.

3. Back to picks. I keep one or two in my car and one in my wallet, never know when you might get lucky (and get to play and not have one).

This may sound odd for a guy who's currently 99 percent a fingerpicker, but I've always had a flatpick with me since late '63 or early '64 when I got my first 12-string. That's even when I was mostly on the road in the '80s and first half of the '90s.

I always keep my guitars in a case. One reason why dates back to the late winter of '64 when the apartment where I was living had a fire. My guitar and a friend's guitar both were in cases flat on the floor; both unfortunately not closed cases, but still... Neither was damaged in the fire. The heat rose, burned other stuff that was more than about 8-10 inches above floor level.

A costly habit... each of my guitars has a hard case, strap, capo and a spare set of the appropriate strings, and finally a tuning device - although I'm questioning that latter since I have a smartphone "ap" from Martin. FWIW, the "tuning device" originally was a pitch pipe, then the little "calculator" size thingies and then some clip-ons.

m

Simple...pick punch...I hadn't bought a pick in 35 years. Wife got me pick punch about 5 years ago...now I have many hundreds that have never been played. A small box filled with them in every guitar case, plus a drawer filled with picks. I have enough credit cards to make picks for the next 500 years (I'd guess) considering I'm still playing Fender picks from 35 years ago. The thickness difference between a medium pick and a credit card pick is a few thousandths, A special thanks to the litter bugs at the gas station that leave their used up pre-payed gas cards on top of the pumps instead of putting them in the trash. You are all keeping me in picks for the rest of my life.

I keep all but one guitar in a HSC or gig bag. The HSC limits environmental impacts, such as temp changes and humidity variation.

As far as travel, another tip would be on hot or cold days, let the case acclimate to the space you take it to before you open it, especially if it has sat in a cold or hot car or room, if at all possible. True also of new guitars. Bring the box inside, but don't remove the guitar until the box and HSC (if sent in a case) acclimates.

OK. I'll play.

1) Always practice with a metronome when playing alone.

2) When practicing improvisations, sing the notes. While this will help in instinctively knowing where notes are on the fretboard, it will also help in hearing intervals, and will also help phrasing. It may also help improvise more melodically.

3) In learning chord structure, it was a real lightbulb moment when I realized the intervals between strings on the same fret (in standard, concert tuning). On the same fret, the interval from the 6th string to the 5th is five frets or a 4; from the 6th string to the 4th is ten frets or a b7; from the 6th string to the 3rd is 15 frets (one octave plus 3 frets) or a b3; from the 6th string to the 2nd is 19 frets (one octave plus 7 frets) or a 5; and from the 6th string to the 1st is 24 frets (or two octaves). So from the 6th string (root) to the 1st string on the same fret, it goes 1 (root), 4, b7, b3, 5, and 1. With the root on the fifth string, it should be easy to calculate those intervals. (Here they are from the sixth string to the first with the root on the fifth: 5, 1, 4, b7, 2 or 9, 5.) With this information, you can move on either side of the vertical axis created by the shared fret to form any chord using the sixth or fifth string as the root (1).

Note: 0 frets= 1 (Root), 1 fret= b2 (b9), 2 frets= 2 (9), 3 frets= b3 (#9), 4 frets= 3, 5 frets= 4 (11), 6 frets= b5 (#4 or #11), 7 frets= 5, 8 frets= b6 (#5 or b13), 9 frets= 6 (13), 10 frets= b7 (#6 or #13), 11 frets= 7, 12 frets= 1 (octave)

(1 fret= half step)

4) I always keep unplayed guitars in cases.

Archived