Gibson Brands Forums

Wow, just look at this!

IanHenry

I'd like to see a photo of the original this is based on.

There are but only a handful of the originals with tops like this- I mean, that much flame and such. And the color!

It seems it's only a matter of time until certain ones get the "collect's choice" treatment.

It appears not to have nibs - which is a bit of a surprise. I'm sure they know what they are doing, however.

Seriously, though; it's a pretty guitar.

Interesting tale, too. One-owner for 5 decades; Vic DaPra; 'anonymous' collector who lends out original 'bursts...

I see from the 'comments' list that Mike Slubowski already has his one...

P.

It appears not to have nibs - which is a bit of a surprise. I'm sure they know what they are doing, however.

Yep, that's the way it looks and thus it is not a "Choice" for me at any price. Sorry, it is either accurate in basic details (nibs are basic) or it is not. And that guitar is not.

As far as I am concerned Gibson with their nutty electronic machine heads and no nibs have just so completely lost it that I am finished with them as a manufacturer (except s /h).

Maybe the guitar was re-fretted at one point in its life and they just decided at the time, to hell with the nibs?

And that's what it looks like currently so that's how they made it??

Maybe...

Maybe the guitar was re-fretted at one point in its life and the just decided at the time, to hell with the nibs?...

And that's what it looks like currently so that's how they made it??...

Maybe...

That was my thought, too, Rabs; hence my "I'm sure they know what they are doing" bit.

According to the blurb the guitar was in such good condition it looked like it had hardly been played/marked before Vic DaPra chased it down so the chances of it having a re-fret, I would have thought, would seem slim but..........maybe? Who knows? I don't.

But as the CC series are always SO well engineered I can't believe the fret-work here is any different and so, therefore, I suspect the frets are an accurate reproduction of the original.

Odd, though.

P.

Put schaller locking tuners on, replace the pups with the 490/498 fit and bumble bees, shave the baseball bat neck down slim, and half the price and it would be a good guitar.lol

still is a mighty pretty looking thing eh!

You thinking of getting one Ian?

Another thing that is starting to be a habit is Custombuckers in everything. That Guitar did not have Alinco 3 pickups it had Alnico 2s and they put their Wessco Bumble Bees in them which are foil and these had PIO Bees. The Burstbucker 1 & 2 and Luxe Bumble Bees are a better fit.

The reason they put Custom Buckers in every Collector's Choice is because Custom Buckers aren't a "model" of pickup. They don't have a fixed wind or fixed magnet type. There's a reason they're called "Custom" - the sets of Custom Buckers in each CC is different. They're voiced after the pickups in the guitar they're copying. The Custom Buckers in 1 CC might have A5 and be wound to 8.5K, while another might be A2 and 7.8K. They're made FOR the guitar, not just picked from the catalog and dropped in.

-Ryan

smart ***! LOL

I didn't make the connection (now if you had said N.I.B. I would've known)lol

I'll just quietly sit over here in the silly corner for a while shall I? If you need me I'll just be over here....

smarta$$! LOL

I didn't make the connection (now if you had said N.I.B. I would've known)lol

I'll just quietly sit over here in the silly corner for a while shall I? If you need me I'll just be over here....

Lol sorry.. was just being silly as usual...

Nibs or Nubs as some people know them (which has been a matter for discussion on here) are the binding on the fretboard at the end of the frets... Since 2014 they have started phasing nibs out and now they seem almost gone apart from on Custom Shop models (well some of them anyway).... and they do fret over binding now on the Standards and stuff.

All of which has been discussed at GREAT length on here (like pages and pages).. While I think most of us agree they don't effect playing much, as one of Gibsons marketing lines was that it increases playing area on the top and bottom of the fretboard (yeah ok, [rolleyes] ).. most of us also agree that nibs were one thing that set Gibsons apart, and also was hard to fake.. and look cool...

Lol sorry.. was just being silly as usual...

Nibs or Nubs as some people know them (which has been a matter for discussion on here) are the binding on the fretboard at the end of the frets... Since 2014 they have started phasing nibs out and now they seem almost gone apart from on Custom Shop models (well some of them anyway).... and they do fret over binding now on the Standards and stuff.

All of which has been discussed at GREAT length on here (like pages and pages).. While I think most of us agree they don't effect playing much, as one of Gibsons marketing lines was that it increases playing area on the top and bottom of the fretboard (yeah ok, [rolleyes] ).. most of us also agree that nibs were one thing that set Gibsons apart, and also was hard to fake.. and look cool...

C'mon now Rabs,

Put schaller locking tuners on, replace the pups with the 490/498 fit and bumble bees, shave the baseball bat neck down slim, and half the price and it would be a good guitar.lol

still is a mighty pretty looking thing eh!

You thinking of getting one Ian?

In my dreams. I can't see me buying any new electric guitars in the foreseeable future. I have two Les Pauls and a 335,s I guess I've got everything covered, but I'm easily distracted by a pretty face (or guitar) :rolleyes:

Ian

p.s and it's not got the g-farce tuner!

Archived