Gibson Brands Forums

Yngwie Malmsteen-Arpeggios From Hell

Rabs

Hello!

My best friend, - a fellow guitar player - has been a Malmsteen-fan all His life, but I can`t stand Mr. Malmsteen playing His neo-classical metal pieces. Over-played, no self-control... My friend had hard times trying to convince about Mr. Malmsteen being the best guitarist on Earth.

However, when it comes to pieces like this...

...I think it's brilliant!

Cheers... Bence

Hi,

Mr Malmsteen is so controversial. He's one of those 'love him or hate him'. I once read a interview and he was like: "I can't understand why people say Clapton is God, he's been playing the same licks for over 30 years".

Funny thing is that he has been playing that same harmonic scale and diminished arpeggios through all these years. [lol]

Yngwie's playing is good, but I wouldn't say he is one of the most technically gifted musicians. He has been stuck playing the modes of the harmonic minor scale along with diminished arpeggios his entire career, as ReGuitar mentioned. Plus he is very egotistical and obnoxious. In terms of speed players Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are more (all round) gifted musicians IMO, as well as Rusty Cooley & Shaun Lane.

John McLaughlin and Al Di Meola are other guys who can play equally as fast and are far and away better musicians than Yngwie.

Yngwie certainly doesn't have the musical knowledge and technical ability of guys like Joe Pass or Andres Segovia, but then I guess the types of music they play are too different to compare. Yngwie seems to think he is Paganini reincarnated as an electric guitarist, however, he is nowhere near to the skill, ability and genius of that great instrumentalist/ composer.

I remember a couple Alcatrazz songs, but I've never really listened to him much at all.

With that in mind, if I could pick any guitar player to go out to the local blooz jam and drink too much cheap beer with and sneak in at 5am, it would be Yngwie. I am pretty sure it would be a most memorable 17 hour long night that I'd probably never be able to remember.

rct

I love Yngwie, about half his albums especially those from the 80's and 90's are may favorites.

I do not listen to his music strictly for his ability on the guitar I actually like his style and songs,

Frankly I do not expect a lot of love for him on this forum since there aren't a lot of heavy metal fans in here, (that I know of).

Saying that he always plays the same thing is like saying that AC/DC always plays the same thing, yes they do and it is expected.

While I do not like all of his albums I'll take Yngwie over any other shredder.

As Yngwie went on and made more records I lost interest but those first two were amazing and Rising Force was one of the greatest and most important albums of the 80's. It launched the entire shredder concept to new dimensions. The melodic sense and amazing tone used on Rising Force are ec exactly what I was missing on his later records.

I think he's killer... Has a great vibrato and you can tell who he is right away..... The way way some of you feel about Yngwie is the way I feel about some blues blues guitar players that play the same pentatonic scales in the key of E all night.... To me all those guys sound the same...lol.... but if that's the koolaid one drinks it's all good.

I met Yngwie in 1983 after a show when he played in Steeler, and I was talking to him about vibrato techniques, and he went back stage and got his guitar and took me to a quite corner of the Troubadour and showed me how to control a vibrato with all your fingers... It was the best exercise I had ever received from anyone.

what I don't understand is why someone would start a conversation about a guitar player, just to show their discontent for them [confused].... We had a couple guys that came and jammed with us last week at our studio, and all they could talk about is how this guitar sucks and this one is over-rated..... finally my drummer popped off and told them, "either STFU and play or get the hell out of our studio," lol.... One guy got pissed and left, the other stayed around and jammed then apologized... lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FreeWtaR9Qw

Well the reason I posted it was cos I just came across the vid on Youtube as a suggestion... and I couldn't resist the title Arpeggios from Hell :)

And after watching it as my statement says.. as much as what he and Vai and Satch et al do is amazing.. I just couldn't ever be bothered to sit and get to that level of proficiency.. its not why I play.. but I do appreciate what they do...

But sometimes it does get a bit boring for my taste in music as such, I wouldn't listen to a whole CD of this stuff... But its fun to watch the odd vid here and there to remind me how crap (or is it lazy) I am :)

The main problem with Yngwie for me is how he talks in interviews about other guitarists, basically slating everyone and thinking he's the best player ever. There is an interview I read a while back where they played him a variety of different guitarists and he slated all of them pretty much. He even said Joe Satriani was rubbish, not realising it was Satriani he was listening to during the interview...yes the Satriani he played the G3 tour with in the past!

Then there is the story of how he came up with the 'Unleash The Fury' title and if that isn't proof of what a jerk he seems to be I don't know what is.

While he can play pretty good speedy leads, I'd like to see his knowledge when it comes to chords & composition etc. His pieces can hardly compare to the music classical composers wrote.

Maybe a lot of the bad stories/ interviews with him where hyped up, but he never seems to have respect for many players and just appears to be a total idiot!

Yngwie is as you all know (?!) Swedish just like me. When he grew up in the late 70's early 80's, he was a close friend of John Norum (Europe) and he became famous already as a kid for rehearsing up to 14 hours a day. He was already then associated with Paganini arpeggios.

I think he has an amazing technique but struggles with his song writing from time to time.

//Robert

Yngwie is as you all know (?!) Swedish just like me. When he grew up in the late 70's early 80's, he was a close friend of John Norum (Europe) and he became famous already as a kid for rehearsing up to 14 hours a day. He was already then associated with Paganini arpeggios.

I think he has an amazing technique but struggles with his song writing from time to time.

//Robert

How do you pronounce his name properly?

is it something like Yingay? or Ingway (I know its pronounced differently to how its spelt (well in English anyway :))

He's everything I never wanted to be.

I posted this comment because I've said it for years. But truth be told I don't have anything against Yngwie. While that style of playing isn't my cup of tea I can certainly recognize talent. And hhe is talented. It's the flamboyance and posturing that is off putting. From anyone, not just Yngwie. But it's show business

Archived