Gibson Brands Forums

NGD (Searcy Buys a Tasteful Burst!!)

Searcy

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I've been thinking of getting a 2015 SG Special. I went to Guitar Center on Tuesday to try some out (for the 3rd time) but they didn't have one this time. Totally sold out. So I tried one of those 2015 Les Paul JRs since they have the same neck which is really what I like about the guitar. The first one I picked up had a dead battery in the G-Force (typical Guitar Center). I tuned it by hand and played it for a little bit. It was really crappy playing. The action was super high all over the neck and it was just too hard for me to play. I grabbed another one. Same guitar mind you but different color. The G-Force worked perfectly and the action was fantastic.

I was impressed with the second guitar but disappointed that they two played so very differently. This has been a selling point of the new PLEK and brass nut system.

I have now played 5 of these new 2015 guitars and that was the only real dog I've come across but still, if you're going to push these changes they need to impress every time. And for god's sake charge the freaking battery of something you're trying to sell.

Any way, I'm about 80% sure I'm getting the 2015 SG Special.

Since it doesn't come in white or green I'm even thinking of getting it in a Tasteful Burst!! [thumbup] [thumbup] [biggrin]

I went to Guitar Center on Tuesday to try some out.

probably your first mistake...

[biggrin]

Ha! Yea..

That's the only place you can try them here. Most of the smaller shops around here are full of imports and snarky sales geeks. The bigger shops are full of poorly setup stuff and clueless sales geeks. It's a crap shoot. [biggrin]

I'd like to try a 2015 model. One reason I went for a 2014 is that I wasn't sure whether I would like the wider neck. The Gibson neck has always been just perfect so I'm wary of change.

I can't make my mind up on the adjustable nut either. Is it added adjustability for the perfect set-up or just another thing that can go out of whack?

Not looking for a new Gibson any time soon but I would still be interested to pick one up and try out the new features.

Keep us posted.

Do the current Specials still have the 490T in the bridge? That was always a bit of a negative for me. I like the sound of the 498T more together with the 490R but in general I think there are much better Gibson pickups than either the 490's/498's, especially for an SG (they sound better to me in a Les Paul with maple top).

I like the idea of the nut. I haven;t played one that was a problem but I see so many people reporting issues that I believe there must be one. I'm pretty sure I can overcome it though. Either by cutting a new plastic nut or making a hardened steel insert for the brass one.

The pickups for these are the new 61 Zebra pickups. They sound pretty good but I would be changing those out to a new humbucker I'm working on anyway.

Ha! Yea..

That's the only place you can try them here. Most of the smaller shops around here are full of imports and snarky sales geeks. The bigger shops are full of poorly setup stuff and clueless sales geeks. It's a crap shoot. [biggrin]

ya I know,, it's hard to do a lot of test driving when no body has what you're looking for, or when they do, they're a mess with setup and not properly maintained.

I'm gunshy these days on any of these new 2015 Gibsons... too many changes that I'm not really sure were needed.

Good luck in the search Searcy...

The first one I picked up had a dead battery in the G-Force (typical Guitar Center). I tuned it by hand and played it for a little bit. It was really crappy playing. The action was super high all over the neck and it was just too hard for me to play.

Yeah, typical Guitar Center indeed! I don't think they spend much time setting up the guitars in the showroom. When I finally made the decision to buy my 2015 LP Deluxe, I asked them to take care of a little buzzing on the G before I took it home. You'd think they would be happy to do a quick setup on a $2400 guitar. They took it over to the "garage" area for a few minutes and then handed it to one of the salesmen. "He's a Les Paul guy", they said. He plugs it into a Marshall JCM2000 on the dirty channel turned up to 11, wails away for a few minutes nearly rupturing my eardrums, and announces "this is setup great!" I got it home and it was still buzzing. They never even adjusted it. I set it up myself and it was perfect within 10 minutes. I didn't dislike the 2015 features all that much, but I ended up selling it because I didn't see myself playing it much (too heavy for the bulging discs in my neck) and I didn't want to let it depreciate any further. I think you'll like the 2015 if you go into it with an open mind about the new features and take the guitar for what it is.

Last trip I made to GC, that particular "line" of 2015 Gibby's I was impressed with.

Not that I played them, but I mean as far as price, appearance, features, etc.

They haven't done "real" Specials in a while, but some of these I thought were real cool in that they had both the spirit of a Special, AND done tastefully.

I didn't see any green guitars there, though.

Buy ne never pays retail!

I found this on Stratosphere a few weeks ago for $450 and finally (after talking them down to $400) decided to pull the trigger.

5035F81B-6ECD-43A3-BF76-B9D04D58EAF6_zpsxq1jsaos.jpg

As most of you know a picture never really shows off the finish of your new guitar properly. But this thing looks amazing. This is an SG Special... the bottom of the pile and the finish on it is better than the finish on my Custom Shop Chet. Amazing!!!

Archived