Gibson Brands Forums

NGD (Searcy Buys a Tasteful Burst!!)

Searcy

I hope folks don't mind. I've got some other parts on order so while I wait I'm going to talking about the materials this neck and body are made of.

First, let's clear something up. The neck on this guitar is NOT maple. It's mahogany. I have seen reports of both. Maple is a good neck wood as it's much stronger than mahogany but I was concerned that a maple neck with mahogany body would be neck heavy. It's not.

DSC_7554_zpsbqxvr5ie.jpg

Next lest take a look at this fingerboad. Wider AND thicker than recent boards it's a thing of beauty. Tight grain and beautiful coloring polished to perfection finished off with real pearl fret markers instead of the usual plastic fret markers Gibson has been using since... Frets seems great but I haven't played them yet.

DSC_7553_zpsahf3qkwe.jpg

Finally let's ponder the body. My old SG is a 2008 SG Special. The body on it it nice but these guitars used a cost cutting measure of using two smaller mahogany boards jointed in the center. The 2015 SG Special uses one solid piece of mahogany

DSC_7549_zpsfxuzgfzs.jpg

The finish, the wood, the inlays, the fact that the pickup wire channels are drilled and not top routed all add up with a more most expensive production cost rendering a much more expensive looking and feeling guitar.

So far I couldn't be happier.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the first concept Idea I have going for this project.

Cool.. and that IS one sweet looking body there.. Look forward to seeing the mod work [thumbup]

(I love that FrankMontag site. It really is quite useful for the modder or builder)

Better pictures.

DSC_7564_zpswyxjlbdz.jpg

DSC_7560_zpsjwdxhe8b.jpg

DSC_7559_zpsnzabheow.jpg

DSC_7556_zpsff6bbhnh.jpg

Another concept.

2015-03-14_074151_zpszfessaqw.jpg

Yes, I guess I should have mentioned that Stratoshere is a reseller that striped down new guitars and sells them off for parts. What I really wanted here was the new wide neck on an SG body. I wasn't thinking I would like the finish as much as I do. You know me a bursts... Wiring and pickups are something I usually end up changing around anyway.

I have the original G Force, TOM and stop bar on their way here now. So I'm thinking I'll do a one pickup "Jr" style build. I'll install a regular pickup switch that will be Single Coil/ Humbucker/ Kill. Still not 100% sure on what to do with the other two knob holes. Either cap them with little plugs or.... have a volume and tone for each coil...? Hmmm

Still not 100% sure on what to do with the other two knob holes. Either cap them with little plugs or.... have a volume and tone for each coil...? Hmmm

Give yourself a 3 band passive EQ. Standard tone control to cut highs, a second one wired the same but with a 500uH inductor between cap and ground (a midrange cut), and then a pot in series with the output jack with a bypass cap to act as a bass cut.

Just a thought ;)

-Ryan

Yes, I guess I should have mentioned that Stratoshere is a reseller that striped down new guitars and sells them off for parts. What I really wanted here was the new wide neck on an SG body. I wasn't thinking I would like the finish as much as I do. You know me a bursts... Wiring and pickups are something I usually end up changing around anyway.

So you arnt going to paint it green then?? :P

There's also the Kisekae Virtual Guitar Builder..has lots of other styles of guitars too.

-Ryan

Yeah I have tried that one before.. But don't find it as user friendly as the Frank Montag one..

Cool stuff though.. Id love to develop my own virtual guitar building site...

I have the original G Force, TOM and stop bar on their way here now. So I'm thinking I'll do a one pickup "Jr" style build. I'll install a regular pickup switch that will be Single Coil/ Humbucker/ Kill. Still not 100% sure on what to do with the other two knob holes. Either cap them with little plugs or.... have a volume and tone for each coil...? Hmmm

Hi searcy, Congrats with the new guitar [thumbup]. Beautiful woodgrain and finish.

Thank you for explaining about Stratosphere. I couldn't work out how they were selling guitars without the parts.

I like the idea of doing a project guitar too. :)

Give yourself a 3 band passive EQ. Standard tone control to cut highs, a second one wired the same but with a 500uH inductor between cap and ground (a midrange cut), and then a pot in series with the output jack with a bypass cap to act as a bass cut.

Just a thought ;)

-Ryan

Don't think I haven't thought about that. I still have some old ripper bass tone controls that might find their way into this one.

I have to say.. I would fill that hole in the neck joint.. Looks like a way loose joint.. (at least on that right side)

It's more stable that it looks. I'll see if I can get a better picture for us later.

Are you going to leave the string spacing the same or spread the strings out to match the neck width?

I'm going to start with the stock brass zero nut. I really like the idea of a nut that is easily adjustable. However if I start experiencing the same problems that others have reported I'll start working on some solutions.

I love my '00 SG Special I just got a few weeks back in a tasteful dark brown. Not a fan of any of the '15's I have played. I see that metal nut and just cringe, and the 2 year old crayon Les Paul 100 scribble is silly.

My link

The adjustable zero nut and wider neck are actually the reasons I have wanted one of these so badly. If it turns out to be a total flop then I'll end up cutting a new one from a graph tech blank.

I get that the headstock logo looks a little strange when compared with the other Les Paul script. But I just can't seem to get my head around basing a guitar purchase on whether or not it has my favorite headstock logo on it.

The bridge and the GeForce should be here tomorrow I probably won't get a chance to install it for a few days as another acquisition seems to have fallen into my lap. More on that later perhaps.

You mentioned you played six one day all were duds except one. 1 out of 6 is not good odds. The house usually wins.

No, I've never said that I played six and they were all duds except for one. If that of been the case there's no way I would've bought this SG beauty.

One man's "dud" guitar is another man's treasure.

Not disagreeing with either of you, and besides, I KNOW you guys know better anyway.

We all know guitars are subjective. This idea that Gibson makes duds and 5 out of 6 (or whatever number one chooses) is good or bad is total nonsense, along with the "bad QC" and all that stuff. Rumors created by the net perpetuated by folks that want to think they know what they are talking about.

Don't think this is a post to correct yall, I know you weren't saying this. I just wanted to post something to sound like I knew what I was talking about.

One man's "dud" guitar is another man's treasure.

We all know guitars are subjective. This idea that Gibson makes duds and 5 out of 6 (or whatever number one chooses) is good or bad is total nonsense, along with the "bad QC" and all that stuff. Rumors created by the net perpetuated by folks that want to think they know what they are talking about.

There are so many factors. One will always meet new guitars that intonate slightly impure, have a suboptimal neck adjustment, a less pleasant action, or may lack pickup adjustment from the shelf. Some may even have strings gone dead. As a matter of course, the first impression may not be satisfying.

The staff of a big dealer can't permanently attend each and every new guitar during the first weeks of acclimatization after manufacturing and shipping, but they usually will do if you ask them for. With a few minutes of appropriate care some alleged dud might turn into a gem.

Archived