Gibson Brands Forums

Mac Vs. PC

Boston004681

I've owned nothing but PCs in the past. But about three months I got my wife a new (unibody) MacBook and it blows away a PC in all respects. Last week she called me and asked for the password because she forgot it. You see, that was the first time she turned it off since we bought it. It never crashes and runs smoothly no matter what program is running. Let's see, I've had to reboot my PC laptop oh about 50 times in the last three months! The days of PCs are numbered...

The business world is 90% PC based.

Which isn't necessarily a good thing. Our entire school system ran on Macs without IT people in the schools. As soon as they bought every teacher a PC we needed a full time IT guy to keep the pieces of crap running! Talk about your waste of taxpayer money.

Mabye if Macs werent white cause i dont like to see my finguer prints on its body' date=' also u cant really play much games on that thing.[/quote']

They're not all white. Some come in black and mine is brushed metal....and if you want games buy an X-box or PS2.

Macs are for kids. Schools' date=' marketeers and advertising folks use macs. The business world is 90% PC based. [/quote']

Macs are for kids?...yeah I guess Harvard Medical School, COLSA Corporation (working on Hypersonic Missile Technology) and Structural Biology and Genome work are for a bunch of kids.

Seems COLSA didn't like waiting 2 months for results so they went with Mac. http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/colsa/

Too bad people insist on perpetuating the old wives tales about Macs. http://www.apple.com/science/whymac/myths.html

And did you hear about one of the fastest supercomputers?...yeah...it's Mac http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/vatech/

For those that are interested... http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/#title

When you want to game...get a PC. When you want to do real work with a REAL operating system* get a Mac.

*pssst...(yeah Mac OS is based off of the UNIX platform...very stable).

The days of PCs are numbered...

I've been hearing that from the Linux crowd for over a decade.

The biggest problem I have with Macs is that, if you're a power user, everything is hidden to keep people from hurting themselves. With a PC, it's easier to hurt yourself but it's also MUCH easier to get to "advanced" features.

I use PCs. I probably have 15 or so around the house. I build high end gaming systems on the side. PCs rock.

Day.jpg

Night.jpg

Having said that, I found myself on a service call as a Xerox color technician several years ago, at the TSU photo lab. The guy proctoring the lab took a few minutes to explain the difference between MACs and PCs. He took a picture from their recent departmental pic-nic... it was almost all department personnel, save for one girls boyfriend. So, he took the guy out of the pic, using the same application, on both the PC and MAC. The results from the PC were good. You'd really have to look to see where the photo had been "doctored". The results from the MAC were flawless. Even enlarged you couldn't tell he was ever there. It's inherent in the way the hardware works together with the software. The folks in the graphics (and music, to an extent) world have known this for a long time. I've decided there is a Mac in my future. Besides, I don't have much time for games anymore....

I use both, but prefer PCs.

It hasn't always been that way. Before Win95, I preferred Macs. During the Win95-Win98 era both were about equal. Now I prefer PCs.

If you buy a quality PC and don't use trash software, both are as dependable. Quality is no longer a problem unless you go for a cheap PC.

I play music for a living (one-nighters), and a laptop computer bounces on my keyboard stand all night, bounces around in the van from gig to gig sometimes in either sweltering hot or cold (for Florida) temperatures and runs all night without a rest. My 2002 ThinkPad has given me one problem since then, a noisy hard drive which I replaced myself guessing the bearings must have been wearing out. I don't even know if that was necessary, but thought it was a good idea. And it is still working today and hasn't crashed once. So much for the quality issue.

Software is one defining factor for me. Most of the apps I want to run are either not available on Mac or work better on the PC.

PCs cost less money to buy and maintain, and since most computers are obsolete in 5 years or so, that's a big factor.

Ease of use is subjective, and depends on what you do and how you work. For me the PC OS is superior for a couple of reasons.

1) I can delete single files from the trash on the PC. Sometimes when working on huge audio files, the trash gets filled with old versions. I can selectively nuke the oldest versions without deleting the most recent old versions. On the Mac it's all or none.

2) Copy and paste between two applications. I do this hundreds of times per day both with Band-in-a-Box and while copying data from my shopping cart sales to both my customer database and accounting programs. On the Mac it takes an extra click, open both programs in half the screen each (1) Cmd+C (2) Cmd+V only transfers the menu at the top of the screen to the other app (3) Cmd+V again to paste. On the PC, step # (2) is eliminated saving me hundreds of mouse clicks per day.

3) More keyboard shortcuts on the PC. When I'm mousing, I keep my hands on the mouse, when I'm doing something keyboard intensive I don't want to move my hand back and forth from the mouse back to the keyboard back to the mouse back to the keyboard again and again and again.

4) Backwards compatibility. I still use a couple of apps that were written for Win95 on XP. They are no longer available and do just what I want them to do. Nothing purchased in 95 still works on the Mac. In 95 Macs used Motorola CPUs, then they went to PowerPCs and everything before became orphaned. Then they moved to OSX and everything before became orphaned. Then they moved to Intel chips and everything before became orphaned. One thing Apple is good at, it's milking new money out of it's loyal fan base.

5) Other minor issues like context sensitive right click sub-menus built into Windows apps, the ability to get a computer with a pointing stick in the keyboard (ThinkPad), both a backspace & a delete, and so on.

Now I know I'm going to get flamed for this, because there is a core group of Mac people who treat it like a religion. So be it.

The computer is a tool, and right now the best tool for me, using the applications that I use daily, and for the way I work is the PC. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). On the other hand, if the Mac leap frogs the PC to become better for the way I work, I will switch my preference.

Like I said, I use both, but right now, the PC gets my fingers on it 90% of the time.

BTW, a point of clarification, the Mac is not a PC. The PC is an IBM term for the computer standard they introduced. Technically they are both microcomputers.

Notes

I use both' date=' but prefer PCs.

It hasn't always been that way. Before Win95, I preferred Macs. During the Win95-Win98 era both were about equal. Now I prefer PCs.

If you buy a quality PC and don't use trash software, both are as dependable. Quality is no longer a problem unless you go for a cheap PC.

I play music for a living (one-nighters), and a laptop computer bounces on my keyboard stand all night, bounces around in the van from gig to gig sometimes in either sweltering hot or cold (for Florida) temperatures and runs all night without a rest. My 2002 ThinkPad has given me one problem since then, a noisy hard drive which I replaced myself guessing the bearings must have been wearing out. I don't even know if that was necessary, but thought it was a good idea. And it is still working today and hasn't crashed once. So much for the quality issue.

Software is one defining factor for me. Most of the apps I want to run are either not available on Mac or work better on the PC.

PCs cost less money to buy and maintain, and since most computers are obsolete in 5 years or so, that's a big factor.

Ease of use is subjective, and depends on what you do and how you work. For me the PC OS is superior for a couple of reasons.

1) I can delete single files from the trash on the PC. Sometimes when working on huge audio files, the trash gets filled with old versions. I can selectively nuke the oldest versions without deleting the most recent old versions. On the Mac it's all or none.

2) Copy and paste between two applications. I do this hundreds of times per day both with Band-in-a-Box and while copying data from my shopping cart sales to both my customer database and accounting programs. On the Mac it takes an extra click, open both programs in half the screen each (1) Cmd+C (2) Cmd+V only transfers the menu at the top of the screen to the other app (3) Cmd+V again to paste. On the PC, step # (2) is eliminated saving me hundreds of mouse clicks per day.

3) More keyboard shortcuts on the PC. When I'm mousing, I keep my hands on the mouse, when I'm doing something keyboard intensive I don't want to move my hand back and forth from the mouse back to the keyboard back to the mouse back to the keyboard again and again and again.

4) Backwards compatibility. I still use a couple of apps that were written for Win95 on XP. They are no longer available and do just what I want them to do. Nothing purchased in 95 still works on the Mac. In 95 Macs used Motorola CPUs, then they went to PowerPCs and everything before became orphaned. Then they moved to OSX and everything before became orphaned. Then they moved to Intel chips and everything before became orphaned. One thing Apple is good at, it's milking new money out of it's loyal fan base.

5) Other minor issues like context sensitive right click sub-menus built into Windows apps, the ability to get a computer with a pointing stick in the keyboard (ThinkPad), both a backspace & a delete, and so on.

Now I know I'm going to get flamed for this, because there is a core group of Mac people who treat it like a religion. So be it.

The computer is a tool, and right now the best tool for me, using the applications that I use daily, and for the way I work is the PC. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). On the other hand, if the Mac leap frogs the PC to become better for the way I work, I will switch my preference.

Like I said, I use both, but right now, the PC gets my fingers on it 90% of the time.

BTW, a point of clarification, the Mac is not a PC. The PC is an IBM term for the computer standard they introduced. Technically they are both microcomputers.

Notes[/quote']

They have MS Office for Mac. confused-smiley-17432.gif

Macs are for kids?...yeah I guess Harvard Medical School' date=' COLSA Corporation (working on Hypersonic Missile Technology) and Structural Biology and Genome work are for a bunch of kids.

Seems COLSA didn't like waiting 2 months for results so they went with Mac. http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/colsa/

Too bad people insist on perpetuating the old wives tales about Macs. http://www.apple.com/science/whymac/myths.html

And did you hear about one of the fastest supercomputers?...yeah...it's Mac http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/vatech/

For those that are interested... http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/#title

When you want to game...get a PC. When you want to do real work with a REAL operating system* get a Mac.

*pssst...(yeah Mac OS is based off of the UNIX platform...very stable).

+1

Archived