Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

Bozz

Bozz, I hope you don't mind but I wanted to put the picture of your guitar up for everyone to see right away. Good looking!

Thanks for posting that picture, BayouBengal. One of these days, I need to sit down and figure out how to get that done. I keep running into a 500K global upload max that won't allow me to attach files.

I assume it's a J-45 Custom, but what else should we know about this beauty? It's a gorgeous looking guitar and if she sounds as good as she looks then the honeymoon should last many fine years!

Congrats!

Thanks, Smurfbird. Yes, it's a J-45 Custom. Tone-wise it is like none of my other guitars. A couple of my others have Mahogany backs and sides, including a J-35, that give me nice balanced, woody tones from top to bottom. This one is much different. It's bigger on the low end and maybe a little brighter at the top. It's pretty loud, but what really stands out to my ear is this complex, quivering, almost reverb like sound it produces. It is really sweet.

The neck has a slim taper profile which feels a little more refined than the chunky round neck on my J-35. I have pretty big hands and I like big necks and round profiles, but this feels pretty comfortable to me.

The Rosewood makes it a little heavier, but not excessively. It weighs a little over 4 1/2 pounds.

Cosmetically, it seems put together very well. Workmanship is top notch. It looks and feels much like a J-45 Standard. I guess the biggest difference is the rosewood back and sides. It has a few other upgrades which include a bone nut, fingerboard binding, herringbone top trim, abolone rosette & headstock inlay. The burst looks nice and the grain on the top is pretty tight in the center and a little wider at the edges.

The top finish has a bit of that corduroy texture to it instead of being perfectly smooth. I don't think it's from being too dry, as it has no other symptoms, like fret ends sticking out, or a sunken top, etc. It's probably just the grain of this particular top combined with a thin layer of nitro. It actually looks pretty cool and I'm liking it.

I will definitely be spending some time getting to know her!

Looks like Cherry.

The wood floor, that is!

Beauteous! As BigKahune said - just the right amount of bling on an iconic guitar. I believe the headstock inlay was designed by Ren. I had to get abalone inlay bridge pins to compliment the inlays on the fingerboard, bridge and rosette. I've had mine for around 10 months (in Koa though) and it has been virtually the only one I've played. I'm starting to ween myself off it though. It is the perfect combination of art and instrument. I'm biased, but I think this is a perfect representation of everything Bozeman does so very well. G'Luck. Jim

Bozz,

Thanks for the explanation. Your response reflects your love and awe of this fine instrument. I can feel the pride of ownership in every sentence. May she bring you nothing but joy and many fine hours of enjoyment. I can practically hear the guitar's range of tone in the pic.

Thanks for sharing!

Looks like Cherry.

The wood floor, that is!

Beauteous! As BigKahune said - just the right amount of bling on an iconic guitar. I believe the headstock inlay was designed by Ren. I had to get abalone inlay bridge pins to compliment the inlays on the fingerboard, bridge and rosette. I've had mine for around 10 months (in Koa though) and it has been virtually the only one I've played. I'm starting to ween myself off it though. It is the perfect combination of art and instrument. I'm biased, but I think this is a perfect representation of everything Bozeman does so very well. G'Luck. Jim

Haha, Cherry. Good one, Jim.

Thanks for sharing that Ren designed the headstock inlay. He is definitely one of the masters.

Koa is pretty amazing both in sound and appearance. I'm sure your J-45 Custom is a thing of beauty. I like your bridge pin idea. Abalone inlays would be a nice addition. Do you remember what size pins you got?

And for the record, the floors are Birch.

www.guitarsaddles.com

Bob Colosi Georgia

- size 2A.

The website guides you through the options. I got plain bone w abalone inlays.

"Shoot that thang!"

Thanks... til you're better paid.

• 3 weeks later...

I am curious what other J-45 Custom owners out there are using for strings. This is my first Rosewood guitar and I'm looking for a good place to start in checking out some different strings. It came with Gibson Masterbuilt Premium 80/20 Lights, which sounded great when I first got the guitar. They seemed to fade fast, but were probably on for a couple of months before I got the guitar. I like D'Addario PB EJ16 Light's on my J-35 and other guitars with Mahogany backs and sides. And I use Elixir PB Nanoweb Lights on an Ovangkol Taylor GA I have. I know string choices are a highly subjective thing. But I would still be interested in your opinions and/or recommendations.

Archived