Gibson Brands Forums

New to the forums

fedwayjohn

Hey all,

This is my first post here and I thought I'd introduce myself. I've been lurking a while and have learned quite a bit. I purchased my first Gibson guitar two weeks ago, an '07 Les Paul Standard in Desert Burst finish. I got it at a great price, as it was on clearance at the local Guitar Center. They were pushing the '08's hard, and the deal was too good to pass up. I just had it set up and have been really enjoying getting to know it the last couple of weeks.

Here's a few shots:

3204341656_5cb8b269ab_o.jpg

3203498565_58498f892f_o.jpg

3204348428_c2491f53fc_o.jpg

After lusting after a LP for years it feels great to finally have one. I really love this axe!

Enjoy the shots!

Welcome, FedWayJ. It is a good feeling to get your first Les Paul. Ahhh. I remember it as if it was yesterday; feeling those soft, smooth curves for the first time and smelling her nitrocellulose perfume. Congratulations and thanks for sharing the pics. She's a beauty. What style do you play?

Welcome and congrats! Beautiful guitar. Once you play it a while you'll love it even more, then you'll want another that has a slightly different sound (chambered vs. weight relieved) and pretty soon you'll be well on your way to GAS. But it's great getting there! Tell us about your first impressions. What's the best part of playing it?

Welcome' date=' FedWayJ. It is a good feeling to get your first Les Paul. Ahhh. I remember it as if it was yesterday; feeling those soft, smooth curves for the first time and smelling her nitrocellulose perfume. Congratulations and thanks for sharing the pics. She's a beauty. What style do you play?[/quote']

Thanks man. You ain't lying about the curves and the smell. :-s If ever a musical instrument could be likened to a woman this is it. I'm pretty much a rocker myself, and lean to the classic stuff. Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome and boy those are some great photos' date=' The headstock one is outstanding,

What type of camera do you use?

Everytime I try to take a photo it looks like I tryed to take a photo[/quote']

Thanks Mark. Photography is my other passion. I am currently shooting a Canon 40D and those shots were taken tripod mounted with an EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 lens and an EF 100 f/2.8 macro lens. The tripod really helps shooting indoors in less than ideal light. You're going to get slower shutter speeds in those situations.

If I can help with any camera stuff, let me know. You'd be surprised how good a shot you can get with an average digicam with just a few tweaks.

Alright! "I'm a roller too, Honey. I'm a Rocker!" - Phillip Lynott. I love the Classic Rock myself. For me it's neck and neck with the blues. Enjoy that female form in your hands, but we all know the Les Paul love is in our soul and ears. Play that thang.

Welcome and congrats! Beautiful guitar. Once you play it a while you'll love it even more' date=' then you'll want another that has a slightly different sound (chambered vs. weight relieved) and pretty soon you'll be well on your way to GAS. But it's great getting there! Tell us about your first impressions. What's the best part of playing it?[/quote']

Yeah, I like it even more every day. I've been playing an American Strat for a long time, and I love that guitar too, but the Les Paul is just, I dunno, different.

I was thinking the transition between the two would take some getting used to, but it hasn't been bad at all. My LP has the 60's neck, so I'm sure that had something to do with it, but the Les just feels great when I play it, and the sound of the humbuckers is really addictive. I'm going to have to upgrade my amp at some point too. :-s/

As far as GAS goes, I think I'm already toast in that regard! LP's are just pure eye and ear candy. Once you have one, it's hard not to start looking at others. If one is good, three must be better...

Yeah' date=' I like it even more every day. I've been playing an American Strat for a long time, and I love that guitar too, but the Les Paul is just, I dunno, [i']different[/i].

I was thinking the transition between the two would take some getting used to, but it hasn't been bad at all. My LP has the 60's neck, so I'm sure that had something to do with it, but the Les just feels great when I play it, and the sound of the humbuckers is really addictive. I'm going to have to upgrade my amp at some point too. [-X/

As far as GAS goes, I think I'm already toast in that regard! LP's are just pure eye and ear candy. Once you have one, it's hard not to start looking at others. If one is good, three must be better...

Yes, that's it! If three are better, then six are ... :-({|= Lie back on the couch John and tell me about this womanly curve thing.

Welcome to the LP forum FedWayJohn! Come and hangout, learn, laugh & contribute. Oh BTW, you just entered the forum in an extremely kewl way. A new dude with a gorgeous new axe. You can sit at my table. Please sit across from me, but at my table for sure.

Yes' date=' that's it! If three are better, then six are ... [-X Lie back on the couch John and tell me about this womanly curve thing.

Welcome to the LP forum FedWayJohn! Come and hangout, learn, laugh & contribute. Oh BTW, you just entered the forum in an extremely kewl way. A new dude with a gorgeous new axe. You can sit at my table. Please sit across from me, but at my table for sure. [/quote']

Lol! You got it man. And thanks for the welcome. And I dig your Silverburst. I wouldn't mind getting hold of one of those some day. :-({|=

Beautiful Les Paul. Looks kinda like Chan Man's.

I was thinking the same thing saturn. Each of those DBs have alot of character. They seem to pop out at you.

Lol! You got it man. And thanks for the welcome. And I dig your Silverburst. I wouldn't mind getting hold of one of those some day.

Thanks FedWayJohn. I actually wanted a desertburst. I tried out a couple, but those two didn't do anything for my ears. I literally put back a DB & grabbed the SB and the notes just lit up my feeble brain. O:) I didn't want to let it get away. But the desertbursts look way too cool. I wonder if I had tried a third...

SilverLesterStd

Archived