Gibson Brands Forums

GAK "ex demo" amp - The plot thickens

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns

Well, the ex demo Fender Supersonic I was so excited to have got has turned into a bitter disappointment. It was a bit hissy but Google told me that's quite normal and it wasn't outrageous so I ignored it. I loved the tone of the thing as anyone who read my first impressions will know.

Last night, just as I was finishing up I got a noise from it like I'd unplugged the guitar but I hadn't. I was using an old cable I hadn't used in years so I thought it had just gone bad, turned off and finished.

This evening, after about half an hour of playing at low volume the loud hum started again. I started adjusting controls and quickly realised it was directly related to the reverb level. I looked in the open back and discovered they have replaced the reverb tank with a nasty cheap 3rd party item. I'm sure I could fix it and it may not be the cheap tank causing it (unlikely in fact) but it leaves a very bitter taste.

I have emailed GAK to express my disappointment and eagerly await their response.

I am disgusted by what has become of an institutional part of the British musicians world. GAK used to stand for value, trust and integrity.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GAK used to stand for value, trust and integrity.

Just like the police. Now, in the age of cellphone camera, people are capturing videos of the abuse of power. If they are no longer inspired and motivated by their long history of selfless service and honour, they can tone down their $*** for fear of ending their career.

Yikes.

It's not uncommon for that very thing you describe to be cause by a bad cable to or from the reverb tank. I have had to replace cables more than a few times on Fender amps.

Tube? possible, it can do that, but not very often in my experience. Usually the tube will fail in other ways first. But duh, worth checking.

Said all that to say, perhaps they replaced the reverb tank because it was doing this very thing you are having now. Likely they forgot about it. I can easily see a situation where a salesguy or floor guy tries a different tank, and thinks he fixed it because the issue went away, and it doesn't get recorded or noted that this amp has a half-assed fix.

If GAK is the kind of place you are describing, they surely will make it right.

It's not uncommon for that very thing you describe to be cause by a bad cable to or from the reverb tank. I have had to replace cables more than a few times on Fender amps.

Your suggestion seems rather likely to me. Maybe it's a faulty ground connection in the return line. It could be on the reverb tank's side or the amp's return input as well.

It could also be that the ground connection of the reverb tank's housing is bad. I don't know though if it is attached to input or output ground.

Strange - I never encountered this problem in the past, so I can only guess.

Would have thought GAK better than this, they've got the ability to replace parts like-for-like.

Ex-demo or not; does it not still have a warranty of some description? Far from your fault that there's a failure, and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences and make it right; they do.

Hope GAK does the right thing for ya, bud.

this is a big store with big buying power, why would they fix an amp?

"hey Fender Rep, the demo amp's playing up, so we need to pull one from stock - you owe us a credit"

"done - credited you its value off your next invoice"

"Cheers - you want this one back?"

"Nah, do what you like with it"

still, should be a simple enough fix and you still have a cracker at a good price. don't get too down over it. [thumbup]

Guest Farnsbarns

They replied fairly quickly this morning saying that that tank was fitted by Fender. I don't believe them, it's a Ruby tubes own brand and I've done a lot of Googling and can see a lot of people liking these tanks and "upgrading" to them but no mention of Fender using them. I'm sure Fender use only Accutronics so I called them this morning and they said they do not use Ruby tubes the guy seemed not to have heard of them. The RCA lead is also crap. One of those where the outer ring is in sections and very soft indeed. They also said that the reverb tank replacement was described in the listing, and it was, but they described it a B grade which legaly precludes 3rd party parts replacements (in the UK at least).

Anyway, they've offered a full refund and collection so I can't really say fairer than that. I'm going to replace the RCA lead and if that fixes it I'll keep the amp. I don't think they've been entirely honest though and that pees me off. I've bought 5 or 6 guitars from them. A Marshall half stack, a 2 grand multi-track (portastudio) and about a million strings and sundries from them. I've sent them a lot of customers too and I just think they don't take that into account and have not considered the long term effect of getting what they can on a per transaction basis, ignoring life time value of a customer of 20+ years.

Can't argue with a no quibble refund though. I have to decide what to do next. I'll be deciding over the coming weekend.

They replied fairly quickly this morning saying that that tank was fitted by Fender. I don't believe them, it's a Ruby tubes own brand and I've done a lot of Googling and can see a lot of people liking these tanks and "upgrading" to them but no mention of Fender using them. I'm sure Fender use only Accutronics so I called them this morning and they said they do not use Ruby tubes the guy seemed not to have heard of them. The RCA lead is also crap. One of those where the outer ring is in sections and very soft indeed. They also said that the reverb tank replacement was described in the listing, and it was, but they described it a B grade which legaly precludes 3rd party parts replacements (in the UK at least).

Anyway, they've offered a full refund and collection so I can't really say fairer than that. I'm going to replace the RCA lead and if that fixes it I'll keep the amp. I don't think they've been entirely honest though and that pees me off. I've bought 5 or 6 guitars from them. A Marshall half stack, a 2 grand multi-track (portastudio) and about a million strings and sundries from them. I've sent them a lot of customers too and I just think they don't take that into account and have not considered the long term effect of getting what they can on a per transaction basis, ignoring life time value of a customer of 20+ years.

Can't argue with a no quibble refund though. I have to decide what to do next. I'll be deciding over the coming weekend.

Look at it this way: You can't really have the full "Fender Experience" until you have had to replace a reverb cable. (Or a tank, for that matter).

You are wise to check it though, I mean try and replace the cable(s) before making a decision.

I wouldn't be too hard on them in this. You are a long way from Fender, other side of the world. Who knows who and where a reverb tank replacement might come from. Entirely possible a Fender rep or "Fender Europe" replaced it with something else, too.

I talked with my amp partner and he says that the stock reverb tank in his Supersonic was an Accutronics, although that doesn't necessarily mean all the other Supersonics come with them. I'm guessing that your reverb wire had a bad RCA plug and they replaced the tank and then somehow the thing started working after they jammed the plug back in so they thought they solved the problem. Ruby tanks are fine by the way. But there's different types of tanks and the Supersonic takes a type "4AB3C1B" tank. As long as that's the kind of tank you have it should work fine.

I'll bet it's the plug that's bad.

Guest Farnsbarns

Oh I have no doubt I can fix it. The principle pisses me off. And if I fix it and something else goes wrong where do I stand then? It's just wrong and I'll be going to Anderton's or GuitarGuitar next time I want to blow 3 grand on a guitar.

Oh I have no doubt I can fix it. The principle pisses me off. And if I fix it and something else goes wrong where do I stand then? It's just wrong and I'll be going to Anderton's or GuitarGuitar next time I want to blow 3 grand on a guitar.

Take the refund and be done with them. Principles are worth far more than discounts, IMO.

Anyway, they've offered a full refund and collection so I can't really say fairer than that.

TAKE IT. Take the refund. Unless you can fix the amp properly to your satisfaction without spending £££.

And I'm very sorry to say that because I said 'buy the amp' in your original thread.

Please excuse me Farns; I have been there and done that more times than I care to mention or you would believe.

And I love my Fender valve amps.

I've bought 5 or 6 guitars from them. A Marshall half stack, a 2 grand multi-track (portastudio) and about a million strings and sundries from them. I've sent them a lot of customers too and I just think they don't take that into account and have not considered the long term effect of getting what they can on a per transaction basis, ignoring life time value of a customer of 20+ years.

I can guarantee they don't give a sh*t about any of that, or even realise.

Best wishes.....

Sorry to hear about the issue.

Whilst I understand your pissedof'dness about the possible low-down dirty underhanded two-faced'ness if they knew it was going to fail soon I'd probably be of a mind to take the more pragmatic view (assuming it's an easy 'fix') that I had saved a few hundred on the original price and, when all is said&done/done(again)&dusted/dust(what remained)-settled/song of the rotund lass has ended, that I'm still quids'up on the deal and still have a rather spiffing amp.

But seeing as you are a bolshie trouble-making ne'er-do-well who is always enthusiastic for a stramash you will, of course, be guided by your hearts desire.

I'm just p'd-off because I've never had a chance to try it out myself!............[sneaky]...............LOL!

We REALLY have to arrange another session*.

Pip.

* Beer or guitars. I don't mind either way.

Or both?

Guest Farnsbarns

Right then. It's the RCA lead. Took ages but I got it to go again today after a couple of hours with it quite loud. Reached in the back and as soon as I touched the RCA lead it stopped. Bingo.

Happened again after ten minutes, this time I actually had to move the RCA lead and it stopped. And again and this time I had to move it back and forth a few times. It's obviously just a bad connection in one of the plugs and I'll order a decent thick shielded lead now. I think I'll do the old trick of soldering the pan end to the lugs on the inside of the rca sockets since its not the original pan and they're not pricey any way.

I'll definitely keep it but there is an issue of trust with GAK just because I feel sure they replaced this pan themselves yet the have stated outright that it was fender.

I'll definitely keep it but there is an issue of trust with GAK just because I feel sure they replaced this pan themselves yet the have stated outright that it was fender.

I am a little confused about this. Fender doesn't really exist there. Or rather, no factories. But surely there are representatives and service centers.

So unless the amp was sent back to Arizona (USA) or Mexico, it could not have been replaced by Fender, and they just wouldn't do that. So surely, "replaced by Fender" would have to mean "Fender authorized".

Are you sure this wasn't the case?

Guest Farnsbarns

I am a little confused about this. Fender doesn't really exist there. Or rather, no factories. But surely there are representatives and service centers.

So unless the amp was sent back to Arizona (USA) or Mexico, it could not have been replaced by Fender, and they just wouldn't do that. So surely, "replaced by Fender" would have to mean "Fender authorized".

Are you sure this wasn't the case?

Replaced with an original part would have done me. Replaced with an original part by Fender doesn't mean much different really but they claimed it and I don't believe them.

They just replaced it themselves. I really shoul check it's the right input and output impedence for the amp and that the correct side is grounded.

Thanks for the code BBP!

Archived