Gibson Brands Forums

Rare J200 Extreme

drathbun

This guitar was in the store on Saturday. It is a one of a kind J200 with a three piece back (quilted maple stained turquoise and flamed maple with amber stain in the manner of a D35). The top is red Adirondack spruce. All of the inlays are doubled; outside in MOP and inside in crazy green, blue abalone shell. Also, the marquetry separating the three pieces in the back is phenomenal!

I played it for about five minutes and then my colleague Shane played it while I snapped a couple of photos. The owner was just beaming while we ooh'd and aah'd over it. He had a magnificent DIV as well, but this gem captured all the attention.

2015-11-14%2015.03.58.jpg

2015-11-14%2015.04.06.jpg

2015-11-14%2015.04.15.jpg

Any idea what it's worth? Does the owner use it or is he/she mainly a collector? Probably not practical to take it gigging, but it is definitely nice to look at.

The owner is a player and does play this guitar frequently. I have no idea on value and I don't even know what year it was made.

The owner is a player and does play this guitar frequently. I have no idea on value and I don't even know what year it was made.

The year should be 2009, seeing as it has the 20th Anniversary Label visible in the soundhole.

It looks similar in build motif to my wife's Custom Shop EmmyLou Harris L-200 guitar:

IMGP3973b.jpg

...but with a lighter shade of blue and of amber.

Fred

I also have never seen anything like that before and sorry but hope to never again.

Let's face it. From day one in the 1930's, the SJ-200, and its spin-offs, have been all about bling. Where do you want to draw the line?

Just check out the photo of Gene Autry and his (1935?) custom 12-fret SJ-200 on page 3 of "Fabulous Flat-Tops". If that doesn't make your eyeballs fall out, nothing will.

By comparison, a D-45 is as fancy as a Shaker chair.

Have to say something comes between me and blue guitars- eeeeehhhh, the colour blue, , , it isn't really acoustical.

Who else cares - as long as the artisanry is so convincing as this seems to be.

Olive green , , , perhaps -

Blue, , , too fresh-bold.

The customer was in the store again yesterday to pick up the two guitars after our shop did a setup on both of them. He asked me to play both for him in our acoustic room. I eagerly complied (who else gets paid to do this?? :) .

I checked the serial number on the J200 Extreme and it was made in 2009.

They both now play like butter! And the sound... omg [drool]

I just had to play mine this morning (I play and my wife will make me breakfast [biggrin] )

playingforbreaky.jpg

Archived