Gibson Brands Forums

LATEST album you bought

blindboygrunt

Interesting thread about folks first albums. Just thought it would be interesting to hear of new music that might be slipping by us ....

So , whats the latest album youve bought that have impressed ?

Im currently heavily enjoying

Dave rawlings latest nashville obselete

Sounds like fall - the wolf is at the door

I still buy CDs and rip them to FLAC-files to use with my Pono player, either hooked up to my stereo or headphones. I actually got two new CDs in the mail today.

Townes van Zandt: Live at the Old Quarter

Neil Young: Monsanto Years

I listened to Townes earlier today. I should have bought this album a long time ago. It is terrific. I will listen to Neil tomorrow.

I also have two more on the way:

Son Volt: Trace (remastered)

Anna Ternheim: For the Young

I'm especially looking forward to the last one. Anna Ternheim is simply fantastic, and this new CD is supposedly her best effort yet. I have the Son Volt album in an earlier edition, and it is one of my top ten albums of all time. We'll see what the remastered edition brings.

So, yes lots of new music for me.

Lars

Not exactly an "album", but it was

"The Anthology of American Folk Music" (6 CD's, 84 songs), by Smithsonian Folkways Recordings. I guess you'd call it the "War and Peace" of American traditional folk music.

A little more conventional was Toby Walker's "What You See Is What You Get".

Not exactly an "album", but it was

"The Anthology of American Folk Music" (6 CD's, 84 songs), by Smithsonian Folkways Recordings. I guess you'd call it the "War and Peace" of American traditional folk music.

A little more conventional was Toby Walker's "What You See Is What You Get".

Oh thats hard going nick. Some of it is priceless , but ye gods some is crazy.

I had it years ago after reading countless dylan biographies and its mentioned constantly .... Listened , learnt , cringed and laughed and sold it for same as paid for it.

Oh thats hard going nick. Some of it is priceless , but ye gods some is crazy.

I had it years ago after reading countless dylan biographies and its mentioned constantly .... Listened , learnt , cringed and laughed and sold it for same as paid for it.

I agree on all counts, but I'm a glutton for punishment. The first music book I bought as a lad was "The Ballad Book of John Jacob Niles."

Not sure what my Anglo/Scots/Irish ancestors were smoking, but it must have been some weird sh*t.

I agree on all counts, but I'm a glutton for punishment. The first music book I bought as a lad was "The Ballad Book of John Jacob Niles."

Not sure what my Anglo/Scots/Irish ancestors were smoking, but it must have been some weird sh*t.

You gotta like those Dock Boggs Banjo songs on that anthology!

Good topic - and I'm willing to play. Not least because the 2 albums just flew in and make such a beautiful odd couple.

They are

In My Own Time (1971) by Karen Dalton

and a 2013 re-recording (not-re-mastering) of Camels The Snow Goose (originally 1975)

Wonder if any of you semi-geezers know these at all.

Presume the next will be John McLaughlins debut, Extrapolation (1969). Basically because I need to finally hear what he does to that Bird.

LPs: Donovan -- The Real Donovan (Hickory) (completing my Donovan LP needs)

David Blue -- s/t (Elektra, 1966)

CDs: Keith Richards -- Crosseyed Heart

Bob Dylan -- The Cutting Edge '65-'66 (The Bootleg Series Vol. XII) 6CD box

Clarence Carter -- mid-'70s collection

Richard Hawley -- Hollow Meadows (recommended to people who like Jim Reeves, Tindersticks, Nick Cave, Leonard Cohen, Bryan Ferry

Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention -- Absolutely Free (to supplement my worn-out LP)

Also listening to generous downloads provided by friends, including

the 18CD Dylan box,

the new Tindersticks album The Waiting Room

Laura Stevenson -- Cocksure

Archived