Gibson Brands Forums

Something You May Not Know About Oz!

Digger

You may not be aware that this time of year Spring/Summer we have an annoying problem with "Flies".

From revolting blowflies to annoying bush flies, smaller but most annoying of all, and march flies that sting, we have flies for everyone.

The small ones get in your eyes, your nose, your ears and even in your mouth at times! Your back can be black with the little buggers!

They can drive you mad.

Waving your hand across your face to move them on is known locally as "The Great Aussie Salute".

Does anyone else have problems with flies?

Enough black flies (tiny little biting bastards that are so small they are called "no-see-ems")in my youth to know I hate them. Horse flies that bite a real chunk out of your skin. Mosquitos that come in clouds and have a relentless attack.

CANADA - True north, strong and free.

this is why you didn't get the job with Tourism Australia Dig.

PS: spent the past 3 summers at saturday arvo band rehearsals trying to dodge the biting horseflies whilst keeping the rhythm tight! [cursing]

Tourism Australia....yeah me....right!

Mosquitos is what I hate here. But it's early morning or late at night. At dusk, we just go in. I've been to Florida and they have a big problem with knats. But that's more so around the fruit trees. The moskitos in Minnisota by the lakes are big enough to carry you away and have you for dinner.

Mosquitos is what I hate here. But it's early morning or late at night. At dusk, we just go in. I've been to Florida and they have a big problem with knats. But that's more so around the fruit trees. The moskitos in Minnisota by the lakes are big enough to carry you away and have you for dinner.

I think we all get mozzies if it's been wet & warm.

We don't have malaria here even in the north fortunately, though there are a couple of lesser diseases that do crop up occasionally.

We have big mozzies too but thankfully the Crocs get most of them.

The black flies in Canada are not to be believed. There's clouds of them and it's the only time I ever had to take a roadside leak with my helmet and gloves on.

They're like flying piranhas.

We just have stink bugs here. You have one hit your helmet and you've been tagged!

Does he have an accent?

No, but she likes Fosters. Greatest dog EVER!!! The bit*ch is napping on my lap right now as I try to negotiate this lap top to my left, and shes giving me the stink eye because i am making too much noise. If you aussies are anythign like yours dogs ( smart, loyal to the death, and tuff as nails) I bow to you Sir.

The thing that we're battling for the past several years is "West Nile Virus" with a few deaths. I think I had the "normal" dose of it about 3-4 yrs ago with just being VERY tired for about a week or 2. Hope that build up an immunity to avoid the death risk. Have a friend who's strapp'n tough Father passed away from that a year or so ago. Feeling great one day, sick in the hosp. the next, and gone in 3 days.

We've been into those "no-see-um" before I think in WY, maybe Yellowstone and they like to ate us up. And Yes, the skeet's in Minn. are large enough to count the stripes on their abdomen. Thought we'd get carried off when I was out with my Boy Scouts in the Boundary Waters attempting to raise a bear bag at 10:00pm. Lordy, truly CLOUDS of them. And the drone of the skeets at nite could be heard growing about 1 hr. before dusk. We tried to be IN the tents before dusk. Trouble was we could hear all those Small Mouth Bass jumping all over in the lakes & stayed out to catch them on night past dark. BIG MISTAKE! [biggrin]

Aster

One cure for fly problems here in the UK (they get a lot of midges on the West coast of Scotland) is to use a skin softener called Avon Skin So Soft. Apparently the SAS and the Royal Marine Commandos use it for that purpose. Strange thought, a bunch of SAS guy's rubbing Skin So Soft on their faces. Don't know if it'll work with aggressive Aussie fly's though.

Ian

I hate mosquitos and little flies that annoy you if a mosquito wants to bite fine take some blood but why buzz your ears at night. But happily nope I live in a cabin in the mountains so cold nights keep the bugs away other than a few white flies in the summer and bird size honey bees that don't sting. The pest we fight are the animals with Elk, deer, coyotes, wolfs, mountain lions, turkey, quail, raccoons and everything else that all seem to figure are yard is a good place to live. That drive my poor wife crazy raiding her garden especially at night.

But at least you can see them and if they get too annoying most taste pretty good also.

No, but she likes Fosters. Greatest dog EVER!!! The bit*ch is napping on my lap right now as I try to negotiate this lap top to my left, and shes giving me the stink eye because i am making too much noise. If you aussies are anythign like yours dogs ( smart, loyal to the death, and tuff as nails) I bow to you Sir.

Glad you have an Aussie love affair happening there mate, they are great dogs indeed.

I would like to think that we as a people exhibit all those traits and perhaps at one time we did, but our national characteristics and values have been changing over the years with large scale immigration from a variety of countries.

I guess they are rewriting what it means to be an Aussie these days.

I return your bow for your good taste in companions.

One cure for fly problems here in the UK (they get a lot of midges on the West coast of Scotland) is to use a skin softener called Avon Skin So Soft. Apparently the SAS and the Royal Marine Commandos use it for that purpose. Strange thought, a bunch of SAS guy's rubbing Skin So Soft on their faces. Don't know if it'll work with aggressive Aussie fly's though.

Ian

I can imagine the first time one of those big rough men suggesting using a moisturiser!! Boy he would have copped some sh!t!

I'm not sayin' that our Aussie mosquitos are big, but they monopolise one of our local airports taking off each night!

Flies are no problem as long as you've got one of these~

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=anti+aircraft+gun+pics&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi5ksOOl7TJAhUDhqYKHZTbDD8QsAQIHA&biw=2551&bih=1334

I hate mosquitos and little flies that annoy you if a mosquito wants to bite fine take some blood but why buzz your ears at night. But happily nope I live in a cabin in the mountains so cold nights keep the bugs away other than a few white flies in the summer and bird size honey bees that don't sting. The pest we fight are the animals with Elk, deer, coyotes, wolfs, mountain lions, turkey, quail, raccoons and everything else that all seem to figure are yard is a good place to live. That drive my poor wife crazy raiding her garden especially at night.

But at least you can see them and if they get too annoying most taste pretty good also.

I'd do Quail or Turkey just not sure about Mountain Lion steaks?

Just so you have something that works to fight them off I always say. Pretty costly however. I find deep woods off or Cutters to work more quietly than above solution. But, you do what ya gotta do to make it thru. [biggrin]

Aster

Archived