Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Insurance - Who do you use?

rocketman

After seeing Duane's amazing new (well old) LP, it reminded me that I still haven't gotten insurance for my guitars. I was thinking about use Anderson's (heard pretty good things). Who do you use if you have it?

Mine will be covered in homeowners. In this case it's All state. In case Mayhem pays me a visit

That just shows up another issue in the thinking behind vintage guitars as an investment Skilsaw:

Hey my guitar went up in value by 10% again this year! ...yeah, but...

You know, when the "401k guitars" thing was going on and guitars were being bought and sold as "investments", this actually came up.

If I remember it correctly, properly insuring them as investments made the profit margin fair, so investment aspirations were not served well with most insurance. Not to mention proper storage, and/or security.

That was, of corse, before the bottom fell out.

Yes, I always thought it was interesting too that those promoting the Guitars as Investments line seemed to be the guys running the vintage guitar shops. [laugh]

Remember that chart of 40 guitars (or something like that) that kind of showed if you had bought them so many years ago and lived long enough you'd make a fortune... unfortunately the lack of an effectively functioning time machine was kind of a flaw in that strategy for any such ambition I might have had.

Smith & Wesson 45 cal.

4H

Not bad.

I prefer S&W 44Mag with 350 grain hollowpoint.

HK USP Compact .40S&W. It works.

I have a similar insurance plan, but it's only in effect during certain hours. What TOTALLY sucks is all the theft hours and the Ruger insurance hours were never at the same time

...so far...

Yes, I always thought it was interesting too that those promoting the Guitars as Investments line seemed to be the guys running the vintage guitar shops. [laugh]

Remember that chart of 40 guitars (or something like that) that kind of showed if you had bought them so many years ago and lived long enough you'd make a fortune... unfortunately the lack of an effectively functioning time machine was kind of a flaw in that strategy for any such ambition I might have had.

Yea, and a lot of those guitars WERE going up. And in particular, Gibsons.

As well, there was some validity to buying into a variety, so as to better the chances.

But I think the major flaw was, what made many pay prices, was the IDEA, the belief, that the prices would always go up. It was considered fact. It was treated as fact.

I ALMOST bought into it. I had a chunk of money I needed to invest, and I actually considered purposely spending some of it on guitars with the thought at least the money spent would not go away. Maybe make 10 or 20%.

But when the bottom fell out of things, and people were loosing houses and such, many learned the hard way when the **** hits the fan, people don't need or want guitars.

Insurance Companies gamble that "nothing will probably happen" and nothing usually does. And they make a helluva lot of money playing those odds.

I am underinsured in ALL aspects of my life and have made money playing those same odds.

NOT a fan of insurance.

I keep renter's insurance thru USAA, even though I am a home-owner.

It has paid-off, keeping my things insured.

A burglar broke into the house my wife and I were renting on Oahu a number of years ago, and the a$$hole made off with my Ovation solid-body bass guitar, my Epiphone Fat 300 (strat-copy) guitar, a broad-sword, some wrist-watches, and two handguns.

Funny thing is, the dumb-a$$ stole my cheap instruments, and left my 1996 Les Paul Studio sitting right there in the corner!

USAA replaced everything, and I was very happy for having kept that renter's insurance policy alive and active.

Ovation-1.jpg

DSC05119.jpg

Allianz Musical Instrument insurance is what I use, here in the UK. Offers worldwide cover against loss, theft, and damage; and includes liability insurance for performers. About £11 a month for the 2 Les Paul guitars mentioned in my signature, plus the same level coverage for a Gibson branded case (for the Traditional Pro) and a Spider aftermarket case for the Studio. Very reasonable.

I'm going to assume the original question comes from The U.S.A.

There are two insurance companies in the U.S., that I know of, that "specialize" in musical instrument insurance. I have a dedicated policy for my guitars through Heritage Insurance Services:

http://heritage-ins-services.com/musical-instruments-insurance.html

The annual cost is roughly 1% of the market value of the insured instruments. As a working/traveling professional musician, the peace of mind is worth every penny. The coverage is very comprehensive, with few exclusions. I could "Pete Townsend" my own guitars, and they would be covered. Some notable exclusions include "government insurgence", "nuclear attack", and "RODENTS".

In musical instrument insurance there is a hard-line classification difference, and if your instruments are for "professional use", they will generally not be covered under your homeowners policy, "rider" or not. If you are a gigging musician, DO NOT assume you have coverage under your homeowners policy.

I should be thankful to live where I do I guess. [scared]

Me too!

The only insurance I carry is for my home and it's contents. I don't insure my guitars they are covered as content.

I don't have any vintage things to worry about so if they get stolen and I can replace them with new I'm good.

It happened to me. It's how I lost my 69 custom. I had insurance and all I had to do was replace it with a new one.

The only problem was I didn't like how the new customs(87ish) at the time felt. So I replaced it with a similarly

valued Hamer which I still have.

They will sell you insurance for anything. I just don't see the point of 'guitar' insurance.

Wow, I was thinking 'I think I'm above the one in 100 year flood zone, but a bushfire could come through here...' and you guys are reaching for the guns. I should be thankful to live where I do I guess. [scared]

We don't have bushfire around here ,homeowners covers mine. But break in and

see which insurance you get

4H

1450928478[/url]' post='1723900']

Smith & Wesson 45 cal.

4H

Pretty good! Depends which room I'm in. Could be .45 LC, .44mag, 3" Winchester PDK .410, .40 S&W and I have a Taurus raging judge that fires 6 rounds of .45 LC, 3".410, and .454 Casual in any combined order. My other insurance is a 100 lb. huge Doberman Pinscher. Door mat reads, "Fear Not For Whom The Dog Barks For; He Barks For Thee!" msp_blink.gif

Archived