Gibson Brands Forums

The Boxer, J-15

Avery

Thanks guys! Really appreciate you all listening and the comments.

You know, so many singer-songwriters today write songs that are really abstract. Songs that are kind of about everything but also nothing. This song just tells a straightforward story in a really poetic way. I love it for that.

Also, when S&G do this live, those harmonies are incredible. I can listen to them over and over, trying to wrap my brain around some of the harmonies they do.

You know, so many singer-songwriters today write songs that are really abstract. Songs that are kind of about everything but also nothing. This song just tells a straightforward story in a really poetic way. I love it for that.

Beautifully done!!

I also agree with what you said above. I appreciate "story songs", and I have never understood the point of writing lyrics that no one will comprehend.

Lars

Thanks guys! Really appreciate you all listening and the comments.

Also, when S&G do this live, those harmonies are incredible. I can listen to them over and over, trying to wrap my brain around some of the harmonies they do.

Nice job Avery!I can appreciate your comment on songwriting too.I like both when done well...story or abstract.

Thank you very much for the kind words, guys.

Mr. Fourtyyearspikcn: I had the nut, saddle and pins on this guitar swapped out for all bone (got some pretty pins from Bob Colosi with some abalone to match the rosette. Also, there was this brown residue on the inside of the tusq nut that was driving me crazy).

I think it's the saddle that really improved the guitar. I tried the bone pins and bone nut with the tusq saddle and there wasn't much of a difference. But with the bone saddle: much more sustain; bass is much stronger; guitar is just louder...at least to my ears. Not that there was anything wrong to begin with, it was great too. I was kind of scared of losing the original sound. But I feel like each note is articulated much more clearly when I pick now.

Sal, I've heard you do some travis-picking before...sounded just fine. I've been going through the patterns in this song for a whole bunch of months now...when I first started I was painfully slow. Also, having really long nails makes it a lot easier. I grow my nails out pretty long. I know James Taylor and I believe Paul Simon get these fake (acrylic?) nails put on. I won't go there yet, but maybe someday.

And FB, I'm totally with you. I like abstract songs just as much as stories. As you said...when done well. I've been watching too many indie movies where they've got these pretty songs in the background...and I wonder...what do the words in these songs mean. Are they even supposed to mean anything...But a good abstract song is great...really gets you thinking.

And Mick, it is the rare S&G song that I can sing along with...at least in its original key. I've got a pretty limited range. I think I'm a baritone, which is kind of why I gravitate towards a lot of James Taylor.

Archived